Shhhhh! It's Time to Pick Your Bestavorite Silents!

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Whatever you do don't forget your hat!
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm thinking about my list already. One question I have, though---could Woman on the Beach be considered a film noir?
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

MissG,
I'll post all the specifics at the end of the month when the contest will offically start. But, basically, everyone will have to decide for themselves what qualifies as a noir. If you think it's a noir and want to include it, than please do.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

MissG: I lean (at a baroque angle) toward the inclusive, rather than the exclusive, end of the spectrum and consider WOMAN ON THE BEACH to be a film noir -- and a fine one. For what it's worth, IMDb also labels as a film noir.

Conclusive proof that it's film noir: Joan Bennett and Robert Ryan are in it. That more than makes up for the lack of Dana Andrews, Whit Bissell and Dan Duryea.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I think the fewer rules and restrictions the better. What's to prevent someone from wanting to include color films like Don Siegel's THE KILLERS (64) or John Boorman's POINT BLANK (67) or even John Stahl's LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (45)? How about all of those intense 70s films like CHINATOWN, CHARLEY VARRICK, TAXI DRIVER, BLUE COLLAR and WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN? And does it get much more noir than Ivan Passer's 1981 CUTTER'S WAY?
This looks like it's gonna be one heck of a competition!! I, for one, cant' wait!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks guys!

ChiO---don't tip over!
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

The polls are open on the Noir thread! You can submit your top 15 choices of Noir films from now until Friday, May 9th.

Come over to the dark side and voice your choice!
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I've been thinking that after we complete the Noir competiton that we'd have to do something with silent films since we have so many silent fans on the site. I'll just need to figure whether we want to do all silents as a genre, or seperate them into categories. Best comedy silents, best dramas, etc..

If you have thoughts I'd love to hear them.
Chris

Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Chris,

Where exactly do you want us to post our lists?

As always,

Hollis
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi friend Hollis,
There is a thread for posting your top 15 noirs on the Film Noir and Crime forum. When we get around to listing the silents I'll create a thread on the silent forum.

Thanks
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Chris,
I'll just need to figure whether we want to do all silents as a genre, or seperate them into categories.
Bestafavorite silent musical?

May want to consider limiting it to feature-length movies to keep it manageable. I've always assumed that in the other polls, but it may be more of an issue regarding silents.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Good thought, ChiO.

That could definitely be an issue with silents. Perhaps we'll do the shorts by themselves at some point, though I don't know if that would generate enough interest to keep it fun.
Chris

melwalton

silents

Post by melwalton »

I disagree vehemently. Limiting choices to feature length would wipe out much of Keaton and Chaplin. including two at the top of my list, 'the 'Cameraman' and 'One week'. .... mel
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The Cameraman is a feature length but not One Week.

I do think that silents is a large subject. Maybe best silent comedies, best foreign silents etc. Whatever you decide I'll put a list in.

I must get around to doing my film noir list. I like film noirs but have only watched the most popular ones.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
melwalton

cameraman

Post by melwalton »

Version I saw ran 67 minutes. Most feature leng ths run 85 -90