Best News in a Long Time

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
SSO Admins
Administrator

Best News in a Long Time

Post by SSO Admins »

Some really great news for fans of the Best Show Ever. Between this and Film Crew, we have the whole cast back in action doing what they do best.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

jon:

What are you talking about?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I'm talking about Mystery Science Theater 3000, or MST3K as it's popularly known. From 1988 to 1999 it was absolutely the best show on tv, and many MSTies, like me, think it was the best TV show ever.

It was about some mad scientists who kidnapped a janitor named Joel and shot him into space on a satellite, where he was forced to watch bad movies in order to find one that completely broke his spirit. Joel built some robots to keep him company, and they would sit in the theater and make fun of the movie in order to keep their sanity. During the fifth season Joel was replaced by a temp worker named Mike, but the robots remained.

After being cancelled in 1999, we MSTies were heartbroken. Now we have two groups from the cast doing bad movie riffing. The Film Crew is Mike, Kevin Murphy (who played the robot Tom Servo), and Bill Corbett (who was the second voice of robot Crow).

The other, Cinematic Titanic, is Joel, Trace Beliaeu (who played the head scientist Dr. Forrester and the first Crow), TV's Frank (Dr. Forrester's assistant), Mary Jo Piehl (Dr. Forrester's mother) and J. Elvis Weinstein (Dr. Forrester's first assistant).

In addition, Rhino keeps releasing DVDs from the series. I have all of these. The rest of the episodes are available through swapping with other MSTies -- the original series had a tag line at the end of each episode that read "Keep circulating the tapes!"