Red Skelton The best clown

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Red Skelton The best clown

Post by mrsl »

The other day, while watching the Red Skelton movies, I was reminded of his genius. Many people today just don't 'get' him, and I can understand that. In some ways, and at some times, you want to cringe in embarrassment at a grown man who can act like such a fool, then you find yourself looking again, and seeing the comedian himself laughing right along with you at himself. Sometimes he's laughing so hard, he can't get his lines out and you say to yourself, "this guy is having as much fun as he's trying to give his audience".

Today we're a little too sophisticated to laugh at his 'I dood it', or pulling his hat down over his ears, or the faces he made - but during the 40's and 50's he was exactly what we needed during the dark days of WWII and then turning around and getting into Korea almost immediately.

I wish TCM had played more of his films, to show a wider range of his comedy style. If you see his donut dunker skit, it's brilliant. He starts out small, but by the end of it you're holding your sides while you laugh. Following is an example of how he used to end his show each week, and for some reason, those closings are what I remember, more than the rest of the shows:

"I personally believe we were put here to build and not to destroy. So if by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly little thing I've said or done and it brings a smile back to your face, or a chuckle to your heart - then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled. Good night and may God Bless."

Now THAT'S the kind of comedian I want to see and hear. If you want to feel a little pang, Google him, and choose the first Wikipedia option, then listen to his Pledge of Allegiance.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Anne,
I'm a Red fan, I even had a rich friend that liked to collect his clown paintings (to each their own). Unfortunately, not too many movies really capture Red's best abilities. I can laugh at him in many of his films but they never seem to add up to a great movie. On the other hand, I grew up watching him perform weekly on his television show and he absolutely had me rolling in the aisle's (or at least the living room). His Freddie the Freeloader skits, especially the ones centered around Christmas time, were not only hilarious, but incredibly touching. His ability to deal with pathos while still nailing the punchlines was rare indeed.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I knew him mostly from TV as a kid. I saw him in concert once as well. He certainly seemed a kind and gentle man. He was proud of being a clown. It is not an art that anyone who thinks themselves a comedian can claim.

I thought he was exceptionally suited to TV and sketch comedy. I thoroughly enjoyed his work.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm another one to whom Red Skelton means classic TV rather than movies. I remember loving "the silent part" of his show.

Apparently, Buster Keaton gave Skelton a lot of coaching when Skelton was at MGM, and some of skelton's movie bits are recycled Keaton routines.

It always amazes me to find people who dislike Skelton, but there are those who find him too "square." Their loss.
EleanorPowellFan

Red Skelton

Post by EleanorPowellFan »

I've seen Red Skelton films with Eleanor Powell. His comedy is so original and you really can relate to some of the things he says.