Central Airport

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Central Airport

Post by Lzcutter »

I really enjoyed this little Precode this evening.

The whole time though I was thinking that if you changed the characters slightly, it would explain how Richard B ended up down in South America with Rita Hayworth in Only Angels Have Wings.

Calling Barancka, calling Barancka....
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

I caught this back in July and found it too much of a soap opera, even though any Barthelmess is a good Barthelmess. I much preferred both The Last Flight and Only Angels Have Wings which are both awesome.

Here's the review I wrote for my blog:
Amazing as it may seem, not every aviation film from the silent and precode eras was written by John Monk Saunders. In fact, a quick look at his credits shows only 18 films as a writer, (two of which are the same film) and one as a director, just before his suicide at 45. I don't know if that means that Saunders's films are the best or just the most shown.

Richard Barthelmess is back again and just like in The Last Flight, he's been grounded at the very start of the film. This time around though it isn't enemy aircraft shooting him down, it's a storm that his character Jim Blaine was fool enough to attempt to travel through and it causes him to crash land, breaking his arm in the process and ending any career he might have had in commercial flying. Now he's forced to sit back and watch his kid brother take over his skies, as a test pilot for Lockheed, which hurts of course as his heart is still in the air.

Then Jill Collins falls out of the sky to him, literally, as she's a carnival parachutist. Her brother's plane blows up about ten minutes later leaving her high and dry, so Jim Blaine gets the gig of taking her up for her jumps. They fall for each other but Blaine doesn't believe that flyers should ever get married, because of the danger of their work. I guess he's not paying much attention to what his girlfriend does. Naturally the moment the whole discussion comes up, kid brother Bud enters from stage right and immediately falls for her too. Next day Blaine has to deliberately crash his plane to stop a runaway and Bud suddenly has his job and his girl both.

Barthelmess is solid here, especially after he goes into intense mode complete with eyepatch. He's also helped by the difference in ages between him and his supposed brother, Ned, played by Tom Brown. Barthelmess was 38 and Brown was 20, making the love triangle a little kinky but hey, this was the precodes. You don't even have to pay that much attention to see a married couple sharing the same bed: the shame of it! Love interest Sally Eilers was 25 so she's believable both ways. In fact she and they are a lot more believable than the story, which forsakes Saunders's usual brand of psychological insight for airborne soap opera.
MissGoddess

Re: Central Airport

Post by MissGoddess »

Lzcutter wrote:Calling Barancka, calling Barancka....
Hi Lynn! The whole time I watched this movie I kept hearing that radio call in my head! lol
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I enjoyed the movie tremendously. Yes, there are soap operatic elements to it but the story was interesting. I think they could've explored Jim's feelings after finding his brother and gal in bed a bit more. All we get is him lashing out at the world and doing brave and heroic things. It would've been nice to see a scene where Jim talks to someone and explains more or less why he's such a daredevil and carefree about his own livelihood.

The only bad part of this movie? Tom Brown....I can't believe any woman would go from Richard Barthelness to some squeaky voiced pipsqueek!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I enjoyed this very movie very much - although I wondered about my choice since my husband was flying out west during that exact hour and a half...hmmm. It's a good thing everybody made it in the end.

She went for the pipsqueak to get revenge...and married. I fully expected her to end up with a baby because I wanted her to seemingly have a reason to be impatient.

Birdy