The Woman in White TONIGHT!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
sandykaypax

The Woman in White TONIGHT!

Post by sandykaypax »

Gosh, I hope that someone sees this post before 12 midnight on Friday, December 28 when TCM will be showing The Woman in White, based on the superb mystery novel by Wilkie Collins.

I read the novel many years ago and I've been waiting to see this film version ever since!

Has anyone seen it or is anyone else planning on watching or recording it tonight?

Sandy K
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thanks for the reminder Sandy, the recorder will be burning tonight.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've got my TV set to turn it on when it comes on, and I'll be there to see it.

Report tomorrow.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I could only stay awake for part of this movie, which is being shown again on TCM on Wed. Jan 2 at 2:45PM ET. It had a beautiful black and white look to it courtesy of cinematographer Carl Guthrie and a lovely Max Steiner score. It seemed to follow the book fairly closely from what I remember of it.

Sydney Greenstreet and Agnes Moorehead were building two great, complex portraits when I gave in to sleep. Oh, and I hope that others noticed that exaggerated shoulder pads, à la Joan Crawford, were prominently on display on all the men, particularly evident in the coats worn by Greenstreet, John Emery, and Gig Young. I don't know how any of them got through the doorways in this movie without turning sideways, especially the wonderful if portly Mr. G. :wink:

I was, as always, delighted to see a deliciously baroque performance given by John Abbott as a querulous hypochondriac, Frederick Fairlie. Abbott greatly enhanced several movies in the '40s, including Deception, Jane Eyre, and Mrs. Miniver. Incredibly, this actor worked in movies and tv for six decades! He often seemed to specialize in erudite, sometimes foolish and vain men who were often educated above their relatively low station in life--though in The Woman in White he was to the manor born, and wasn't about to let anyone forget his delicate sensibilities. Here's a picture of Mr. Abbott below. It's always good to see him hamming it up.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have to admit, sleep took me over too. I have my ideas about the film, but since it will be on again next week, I'll wait to see if I'm right before asking any questions.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************