"A Christmas Story" a ratings winner.

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
markfp

"A Christmas Story" a ratings winner.

Post by markfp »

According to an article in the New York Post, this year's marathon showing of A CHRISTMAS STORY broke rating records for TBS. The showings averaged 2.8 million viewers and the 8pm Christmas Eve screening attracted 4.4 million according to the Nielsen ratings service. Maybe, more important to TBS, is it finished first, in its time period, in major demographic groups adults 18-34, adults 18-49 and adults 25-54.

What started as "throw away", for a time when few people are usually watching TV, has become a goldmine for TBS. With those numbers, advertisers will be fighting to get in it next year. $$$$$$!

It's interesting how this year the film wasn't scheduled on TCM. Perhaps, TBS is going to be its exclusive home in the future, much like NBC is the only place one can see IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. Not that it would affect me, as I would watch both on DVD (and did this year) before I'd watch of them cut for commercials.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

It didn't dawn on me until after the fact that I never saw The Christmas Story this year. I did watch Wonderful Life, but TCM's lineup kept me entertained all day, so I never went searching for anything else. I'll have to try to find a DVD of The Christmas Story since the only copy I have is on VHS, and I can't believe back a few years ago you could get Wonderful Life for $1.00 and now it's back up to between $15.00 and $20.00. What a rip!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
markfp

Post by markfp »

Happy New Year Anne,

When IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE was in public domain, everybody and their uncle who had a scratchy, dupey, spliced to death 16mm print could sell copies and that's what those $1.00 DVD's were. To get a beautiful, restored, "official" release is well worth the extra money and I wouldn't consider it a rip. It's just a matter of paying for the quality you are getting. While I'll take a substandard copy of some films because of a cheap price this is one film where I just have to have the best.

You might check out some of the discount online stores like amazon.com and deepdiscount.com for a better price.

Mark
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I fully understand what you're saying Mark and actually I was talking about VHS more than DVD. However, even at the rate that a DVD costs, I still think it's a rip for them to charge what they do for something that clearly was considered less than garbage 5 years ago. A decent $10.00 charge would still make a profit, and not insult the consumers intelligence.

I do have to say I love Walmart for DVD's. I've really added to my collection lately with very, very small amounts paid for movies out of their clearance bins. Also, Hollywood Video has great sales on DVDs. You can get 2 for $10.00, or 3 for $15.00 and 4 for $20.00. My problem is the inability to come up with $15 or $20 in a lump sum.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************