something I wish TCM would do more of...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bogie

something I wish TCM would do more of...

Post by Bogie »

I really liked the William Wellman spotlight last month. I liked the fact that they had his son introduce the movies with Robert Osborne. I think that Stars of the Month should have a guest host introducing the movies with RO. Yes, I know it'd be pretty hard to find a relative that knew their famous relation so in lieu of that they could have an expert on said actor/actress with Bob.

I think it would give an even better historical view of the film being shown and how it related to the star at that point in their lives.

What do you guys think?
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

I couldn't agree more, as long as they pick the right guests so that there's plenty of the insightful content that you talk of but it doesn't just become a spot for people to boast about how they knew someone.

I've thoroughly enjoyed a few of the guests that TCM has hosted, both on themed series and on guest programmer nights, but many have left me dry.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

They did it before when they had Melvyn Douglas' great granddaughter Ileana as a guest programmer. Another time Harold Lloyd's granddaughter guest hosted several nights when Harold's big box set came out.

Maybe they will extend the personal segments promos to guest host. For instance, Carol Burnett does a night with Lucy films. Gary Cooper's daughter might co-host a night of his films. It only works if that person had a relationship with the star for the night.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."