The Tin Star

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

The Tin Star

Post by mrsl »

I was really patting myself on the back about 20 minutes ago because I was about to change the channel to see something else, but that little voice in the back of my head said 'leave this on' and I am so glad I did.

Obviously this was a first timer for me, but I'm not an Anthony Perkins fan, so that's the reason why, but who looked at him, or cared about him when Henry was being absolutely brilliant!!!! In his quiet, distinguished manner, he commanded the entire movie from his entrance to the end. It was like watching a live play where one actor controls the stage whenever he's on. I've seen Henry in so many different roles, from comedy to drama and I honestly think this is one of the best I've seen him in. Neville Brand was no slouch in the nasty department either.

I don't know if it was Henry or Mann, but whichever it was, they should have been recognized in some way. The quiet assurance while teaching Perkins, the kind understanding with Betsy Palmer, the light camaraderie with the boy, the anger over the doctor, and finally the reluctant decision to take the prisoners alive, it was all there in scene after scene, whether by word or simply facial expression. I hope to see it again soon, to see what I missed, because this (for a western), was so full of various things to see, I'm sure there must be a lot. The funny thing is it was similar to High Noon in the townspeople dropping the ball in the sheriff's corner to face alone. I noticed High Noon was based on a story named The Tin Star, but it wasn't the same story. High Noon was J.W. Cunningham, and Tin Star was Joel Kane.

In any case, if you missed it, try to catch it next time it comes on.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

If you liked the The Tin Star, you might investigate The Lonely Man. Its another Perkins western, made the same year (1957). Perkins plays a similar type, but this time it's with Jack Palance who is magnificent as an aging gunfighter losing his eyesight. Another great film, and my personal favorite of the pair.
ken123

The Tin Star

Post by ken123 »

Anne,
I too had never seen The Tin Star until this afternoon. I also have avoided watching it because of my antipathy toward Tony Perkins. But is was very good, while Henry Fonda in full command.John McIntire and Betsey Palmer were good too. Mr. Perkins are better than usual. :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This is a favorite of mine mainly for Fonda's role. He is quite authoritative
and, in a way, gentle at the same time with Perkins.

Not normally a fan of Perkins I thought he was perfect for this role. Cocky but all the while nervous underneath he played both of those characteristics well. Kudos also to Neville Brand for playing such a fine "heavy."

Not a great deal of action but fine character studies all around.

If you want a different Fonda in a western check out "Warlock." Still authoritative but not so likable but he has good support from Anthony Quinn and especially Richard Widmark.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It was my first look at it too and I have the same reactions as just about everyone else. I probably had not investigated it before because of my ambivelance toward Perkins. I'm glad I stuck around, it was very worthwhile. I even forgot this was directed by Anthony Mann. I may get the dvd.

They showed good westerns on Saturday!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'd recommend that you all give Perkins some re-assessment. I've been a fan of his forever, and I find that he surprises you -- once you get past the mannered and quirky style, you will find some really fine work there. In most of his roles (except for the very early studio work) he may look like he is sort of throwing it away, but that's part of his style. I don't think he got many parts that truly matched his particular abilities. His roles as a "dangerous" person suited him, because there was always a note of mocking and guarded sarcasm in his delivery - in many roles it was simply inappropriate, but in others it worked magic.

My impression is that he knew exactly what he was doing, and he could really reach you when he dug in. I think if he could have gotten past his own personal demons he might have gotten even farther than he did, and been offered roles more suited to him, but maybe he just didn't really want it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

jdb1 wrote: I'd recommend that you all give Perkins some re-assessment. I've been a fan of his forever, and I find that he surprises you -- once you get past the mannered and quirky style, you will find some really fine work there. In most of his roles (except for the very early studio work) he may look like he is sort of throwing it away, but that's part of his style. I don't think he got many parts that truly matched his particular abilities.
Hi Judith,
When you have time, could you please list your recommendations for anyone seeking to reevaluate Anthony Perkins? I must admit that a revisit to Desire Under the Elms (1958), a movie of his that I'd shrugged off when younger, made me have more respect for his talent once again.
Thanks.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I've always thought Perkins a very good actor, I just never warmed to the type of confused young men he tended to play over and over. I like him in Friendly Persuasion and Goodbye, Again. Those are my two favorites.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I was very pleasantly surprised by THE TIN STAR. Although I've always liked Tony Perkins (esp. THE TRIAL, PSYCHO, and CATCH-22), I admit to some trepidation with the concept of him as a sheriff in the Old West. After my initial shock, I thought he was quite good -- his more modern approach to acting fit with his character's more modern approach to sheriffin'.

Fonda -- just superb.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

moirafinnie wrote:
jdb1 wrote: I'd recommend that you all give Perkins some re-assessment. I've been a fan of his forever, and I find that he surprises you -- once you get past the mannered and quirky style, you will find some really fine work there. In most of his roles (except for the very early studio work) he may look like he is sort of throwing it away, but that's part of his style. I don't think he got many parts that truly matched his particular abilities.
Hi Judith,
When you have time, could you please list your recommendations for anyone seeking to reevaluate Anthony Perkins? I must admit that a revisit to Desire Under the Elms (1958), a movie of his that I'd shrugged off when younger, made me have more respect for his talent once again.
Thanks.
Let's see . . . .

First off, everyone might try viewing Psycho with fresh eyes. The film has moved into stereotype territory by now, but Perkins is terrific - Hitchcock knew just what he was doing; it was a part Perkins was born to play.

Then, I'd say that I liked him quite a bit in The Matchmaker; I don't think I've ever seen him so relaxed in a part, even if he was playing a nervous young man. He allowed himself a little sweetness there. As for Desire Under the Elms, I think Loren and Perkins might seem an unlikely pairing, but they are supposed to be, and I think they are pretty good together.

I thought also that he was very good in Fear Strikes Out, which wasn't really a very good movie. I wonder if chosing the unathletic Perkins over Tab Hunter to play Jim Piersall was a deliberate attempt by the producer or director to give the feel of a fish out of water that Piersall's character needed. Apparently, this caused a rift between Hunter and Perkins at the time (they were in a relationship), but I don't think Hunter could have brought the depth of emotion to the part that Perkins did. Perkins was harrowingly realistic in portraying Piersall's nervous collapse on the baseball field.

My other favorite Perkins roles are in The Tin Star, as discussed, The Foolkiller, and Pretty Poison. The latter is a wholly underappreciated movie - it's very well put together and exceedingly well acted. He and Tuesday Weld worked well together again in Play It As It Lays. I don't love that movie, but I liked them in it.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like "The Tin Star" a lot. I think Henry Fonda is terrific in it. (I think I read somewhere that he actually tried to make a TV series out of this film, but it proved short-lived.)

This isn't my favorite Anthony Mann western, however. There's not enough of the great outdoors in it, and the villains are rather bland. Still, Fonda is mesmerizing as the teacher/gunfighter.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Pretty Poison is a great film.
klondike

Post by klondike »

MikeBSG wrote:I think Henry Fonda is terrific in it. (I think I read somewhere that he actually tried to make a TV series out of this film, but it proved short-lived.)
If I'm remembering correctly, that series was called "The Deputy", and it was short-lived, though well-received by critics.
Hard to believe that Fonda, like fellow on-screen gun-toter Steve McQueen, was typically uncomfortable around horses, and dreaded most of his saddle-time for the cameras.