HP signs deal with Sony for on-demand DVD pressing service.

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

This looks promising. I'll be interested to see their menu of items to choose. But I hope this doesn't mean they won't put effort into some deluxe packaging (including audio commentaries, and so forth). Not that Sony ever put much into it anyway...
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I'm ready with a hefty order! :D
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I've seen four parts of different urban areas in the US are being targeted for Gb-or-more download capabilities on new fibre systems. In Europe, there are a growing number of users with 8Gb download capabilities. THAT will make high-quality downloads a much better possibility.

As it is, however, I think the incredible quality sacrifices won't be too attractive to me. The so-called "On Demand" marketing campaign is just another over-hyped lie - "Customers can claim to demand it, and we'll only give them what we want, when we want and in the quality we want."

HP's customer-service is not a high-quality operation. Not even mediocre. I believe they'll use this same standard.

Sony is heralding in more restrictive digital rights management than any other company.

Between the two of them, I think we can deduce the calibre of product we'll see initially. It may be enough to kill it off entirely.