Let's Spam About Gary Cooper - The TCMR Edition

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Watching "The General Died At Dawn." I'd forgotten how lovely Madeleine Carroll is. Cooper is quite good.

The only drawback was at the beginning when the script skips the whole courtship so that Carroll can get Cooper on the train. Seems like there was plenty of potential there but it would make things longer.

BTW, April you left out the part about Cooper spending some time without his shirt on. :wink:
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:Watching "The General Died At Dawn." I'd forgotten how lovely Madeleine Carroll is. Cooper is quite good.

The only drawback was at the beginning when the script skips the whole courtship so that Carroll can get Cooper on the train. Seems like there was plenty of potential there but it would make things longer.

BTW, April you left out the part about Cooper spending some time without his shirt on. :wink:
Ha! I wanted to keep it as a surprise. Actually, I have a hard time mentioning it without sounding like a babbling fool!
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I had to reactivate the Cooper thread as it was announced that Mr. Cooper will be featured on a 2009 commemorative postage stamp in the U.S.!

Finally, we can give him a licking! :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

About time too.

Cooper was mentioned in a NCIS episode I saw. They talked about "They Came To Cordura." They said he was one of the greats. Indeed,
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

As Coop will appear on his stamp, based on a George Hurrell photo from around 1940.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wonderful! Just wonderful---this is the time when I think
he looked his most attractive, in the early 1940s. I also
like how blue they made his eyes.

I'll probably buy 10 sheets! :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Finally, we can give him a licking! :wink:
I nearly spit out the mouthful of muffin I had when I read that :lol: . Don't be putting ideas like that in my head or I won't get a single bit of work done for days :wink: .

I'm buying so many of those the post office will think I'm stockpiling stamps!! I think it will be out in September '09. Why are they making us wait that long?!?
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

moirafinnie wrote:As Coop will appear on his stamp, based on a George Hurrell photo from around 1940.
What a handsome stamp! Thanks for posting that Moira.
I think Mr. Hurrell is worthy of his own commemorative series. That might be a fun topic for the Oasis: choose four Hurrell images to represent him on US Postage stamps!
Miss Retro

Re: Let's Spam About Gary Cooper - The TCMR Edition

Post by Miss Retro »

Image Image
Miss Retro

Post by Miss Retro »

Miss Retro

Post by Miss Retro »

Image Image
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Who says you can't judge a book by its cover? :D

(Click to enlarge)

-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, I finally figured out how to use the SEARCH option. I didn't realize you had to do it in a specific thread.

Anyway, Miss Goddess:

I don't think I ever responded on this thread because I am not a big Coop fan, and didn't want to open my big mouth and make you unhappy or angry. However, I think I've finally figured out my problem with him.

In the first place, I never saw Coop in a western except High Noon, which I never cared for, not necessarily because of him, but the whole script. The movies I saw him in, I probably saw around the time he died in tribute to him. Until then, I had usually kept away from his films. We both agree we have to like the main actors, thus, I stayed away, but when I did see him, it was in several of his later movies - Love in the Afternoon, Ten North Frederick, and High Noon to list a few, and I felt he was searching for a 'renewal' with all the roles about May/December romances. I believe that turned me against him. (If I had seen Teacher's Pet first, I never would have cared for Gable either.) So, in the last few years, I've watched Coop in a few other movies, and I do now admit he is a strong actor. They Came to Cordura and For Whom the Bell Tolls, really showed his worth. I still don't find him romantic, but I do find him well worth watching more, and more. I certainly can't count him out with the likes of Pride of the Yankees (although I still laugh at Maria's statement about meaning what he says), and Sergeant York. The weird thing is, I like Chuck Connors and Randolph Scott, you would expect Gary to be right in there with them wouldn't you, considering their heights and builds?

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Anne! I think it's great you're giving Coop another chance! Tell me, have you seen
any of his earlier films? It looks like you've only gone back as far as the 1940s. Have
you seen Morocco? You may not like Marlene in it, but Coop's pretty cool. How about
Beau Geste? Or The Real Glory? The Plainsman? The Westerner?
He's younger and still spry in those, as well as dashing. The movies are all good adventure flicks.

If you do like his comedies, The Cowboy and the Lady and Desire are my favorites of them all,
though I prefer him serious.
-- Will Rogers