Mr. Even's Country & Western Saloon

Chit-chat, current events
movieman

Mr. Even's Country & Western Saloon

Post by movieman »

Inspired by Dewey I thought I'd start a thread on Country & Western music.
I know, from a post in the Western thread, that Anne loves Country music.

So, let's start it off with one of my favourites:

The country and pop legend Jim Reeves doing "What Would You Do?", written by Jim Reeves.

[youtube][/youtube]

and here's another one from the same show (also one of my favourites). Jim Reeves doing "Stand at Your Window" dueting with his guitarist Leo Jackson. The show was recorded about 1961 or 1962 I believe.

[youtube][/youtube]

My favourite female country artist is Connie Smith with her strong and full voice. Here she is Live at the Opry, doing "The Hurtin's All Over":

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by movieman on February 23rd, 2008, 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

How-dee!

Where do you start with Country 'n' Western music? Why at the beginning, of course.

The Father of C'n'W, JIMMIE RODGERS a'yodelin' "Blue Yodel No. 1 (T for Texas)"
[youtube][/youtube]

If there's a Father, then you must have a Mother and the rest of the Family. Here's THE CARTER FAMILY and "Wildwood Flower"
[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman

Post by movieman »

How about a young Waylon Jennings ca. 1966 doing "Anita You're Dreaming". Clip taken from the movie "Road to Nashville" (1967).

[youtube][/youtube]

+ Waylon singing "Mental Revenge" on the Canadian TV show "Melody Ranch" (1966).

[youtube][/youtube]

Here's The Stoneman Family with "Send Me a Letter" from the movie "Road to Nashville" (1967).

[youtube][/youtube][/youtube]
melwalton

country

Post by melwalton »

I liked the Weavers. I had a tape ( long gone ) with some of their songs: 'On Top of Old Smoky', 'So, long, it's been good to know you', 'Around the corner', 'I want to go home' 'John Henry' .... Mel
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Say now, neighbor; congrats on your swingin' new scene! Here's
a couple of country classics that always flips Dewey's wig!
BUCK OWENS "Tiger By The Tail"
[youtube][/youtube]
GEORGE JONES "The Race Is On"
[youtube][/youtube]
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This is probably my one and only post ever to be on this thread, but it's funny that you should start it today. Yesterday I was at Walmart just browsing and looking to see what bargains I might find for George Strait, and lo and behold, for only $6.84, I found "The Best of The Statler Brothers", so I grabbed it. It includes Whatever Happened to Randolph Scott, Bed of Roses, and several other super great funny and memorable songs.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

For mel:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

and

[youtube][/youtube]
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, Charlie. All I'm getting is blank space instead of pictures but thanks. .... mel
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Try these mel.

Hope you enjoy them.

melwalton

weavers

Post by melwalton »

It's working fine, now, Charlie. Thanks a million. I really enjoyed listening to them. Didn't they look young? thanks ..... mel
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Yep, very young. I remember seeing a special on PBS several years ago that highlighted a special performance reuniting the four of them prior to Lee Hayes's death. It was titled Wasn't That A Time (the same as their greatest hits CD) and I became a fan. I don't worry about the politics of their music - I just enjoy their musicality.

I was posting the links while you were listening to the previously posted videos. I guess I'll leave them there in case anyone else has the same problem.

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

A favorite band and song: THE FLATLANDERS performing “Tonight I’m Gonna Go Downtown” (definitely my favorite song with a saw part)

[youtube][/youtube]
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

From Hillbilly to Honky-Tonk to MOR, one of the giants of C’n’W has been the great RAY PRICE

He still sounds great at 81 belting a medley of “Crazy Arms” and “Heartaches by the Number”
[youtube][/youtube]

A real heartbreaker, “For the Good Times”
[youtube][/youtube]

From a Las Vegas show a year ago, RAY is joined by a couple of young whippersnappers, WILLIE NELSON and MERLE HAGGARD, on “Night Life”
[youtube][/youtube]
movieman

Post by movieman »

I just found this magnificent clip of Connie Smith doing "Nobody But a Fool" in 1965.
This is great country music sung by a great songstress!
Now, what DVD is this lifted from?

[youtube][/youtube]
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hello Movieman my friend,

I responded to a similar post by you in another thread but what the hey, the more of something that you throw against the wall, the more of it sticks! I'm a newcomer to both C&W and bluegrass and I'm finding that just like with rock and roll, there are those artists you love and those you hate. I find it hard to listen to most of what you'd call "traditional" (if that's in fact the right word) country. I mean people like Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, Charlie Rich and Dolly Parton (more on her later.) I've absolutely fallen in love with the Dixie Chicks, Nickel Creek and Alison Krauss. They all seem to combine country with bluegrass and folk. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I've also become a huge fan of Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. As much as I don't like many of the older country stars, at least their lyrics always seemed to fit their music. So much of what I hear today online and on the radio sounds like the lyrics are being forced to fit the music. That includes peolple like Kenny Chesney, Wynona, Brad Paisley and George Strait. There's one album in particular though that I really like a lot that's of fairly recent vintage. It's called "Trio" and is by Linda Ronstadt, Emmy Lou Harris and Dolly Parton. It's simply an amazing recording even when Dolly overpowers her friends! I was turned on to a gentleman named Vassar Clements who just might be the best fiddle player I've ever heard, and I was also introduced to Doc and Merle Watson. Flatt and Scruggs aren't too shabby either. Believe it or not, I just found out that Jerry Garcia was a big C&W fan and released any number of albums where he played banjo. I wouldn't have thought he even knew what country music was! What do I know? Anyway, if there are artists of a noncenventional type that you know of (since that's where I seem to be leaning) let me know and I'll give them a listen. I imagine I can learn as much about C&W here at SSO as I have about the movies!

As always,

Hollis