Lars Hanson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Jezebel38

Lars Hanson

Post by Jezebel38 »

As Synnove has recently joined our board, I thought I might like to ask her about Lars Hanson, and how he is regarded now in her country. I would be interested to read a biography of him, although I doubt one exists in English – have any been published in Sweden? Is he still remembered today, or just by old film buffs? Are classic Swedish films from the 1920’s and 30’s shown on television over there? I would say my favorite silents of his are The Scarlet Letter and The Saga of Gosta Berling. Apart form his silents, I have seen him in Walpurgis Night, which I like quite a bit – he has a wonderful soft speaking voice.
phil noir

Post by phil noir »

Jezebel, I wonder if you've come across a book called Strangers in Hollywood by Hans J. Wollstein? Its subtitle is The History of Scandanavian Actors in American Film. It might have some biographical information on Lars Hanson. I haven't seen or read it myself - I've just come across when I've been browsing on Amazon.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Hi Phil Noir & Jezebel! I think I had a look once at this book in my local movie book library. I wished I could give you more details but it is closed for refurbishment and I have to wait until the end of the year before it reopens.... :( But I'll certainly have a look at it ASAP and will tell you if it's any good. :wink:
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I hadn't heard about this book. Shows what I know. It looks like something I might want to read though.

I just wrote about Lars Hanson at the silents thread. My knowledge is a bit limited, since the only biography I know of isn't in general ciculation.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

All I can offer you at the moment is this picture of Lars Hanson arriving in Hollywood with his wife Karen Mollander and their daughter. They are greeted by Stiller (left) and Sjöström (right).
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Phil - OOooh, yummy photo of Lars - thanks. No, I haven't heard of that book ,but will keep an eye out for it.

Ann - well, now I know that Lars and Karin had a child - I wonder if their daughter is still living?

Synnove - thanks for the info on the other thread. Your dad told you Hanson was better known as a stage actor? That's what I was wondering, if he was more remembered as a stage actor rather than for his films.

I find it quite interesting, that Lars married Karin after she was divorced from Gustav Molander, and Molander even directed Lars in a few films after he and Karin were married. Did the two of them meet during the filming of Erotikon? It appears to be Karin's last film.

You worked at a film archive? How cool! Would you know if these two films exist: Ingmarsarvet (1925) with Lars and Conrad Veidt (!), and Synd (1928) with Lars and Elissa Landi - both films directed by Molander.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Everyone,

Actually, I think my favorite Lars Hanson feature among all the films that I have seen, is CAPTAIN SALVATION (1927), Directed by James Robinson. I wonderful director who is sadly forgotten today.

An excellent film, with a top notch supporting cast. Plus I am kind of sweet on Marceline Day, so She definitely has influence. But Pauline Stark is great in the picture too! Donald Crisp, Ernest Torrence, such a powerful story, beautifully photographed! A very under-rated film. The TCM print is beautiful, and the Philip Carli Orchestral score is just superb.
Anyone else seen this one? I have not heard it mentioned at all here?
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I find it quite interesting, that Lars married Karin after she was divorced from Gustav Molander, and Molander even directed Lars in a few films after he and Karin were married. Did the two of them meet during the filming of Erotikon? It appears to be Karin's last film.

You worked at a film archive? How cool! Would you know if these two films exist: Ingmarsarvet (1925) with Lars and Conrad Veidt (!), and Synd (1928) with Lars and Elissa Landi - both films directed by Molander.
I do think Ingmarsarvet exists. I could find it in the archive's database, but I haven't been able to find Synd.

I read about Ingmarsarvet in a biography of Victor Sjöström, which talked about that it wasn't as inspired as Sjöström's earlier movies about this story. I think it would still be worth seeing, though. Lars Hanson is always Lars Hanson and Conrad Veidt is always Conrad Veidt.

I also read, I think in the Sjöström biography, that Lars Hanson and Karin Molander first met and fell in love during the filming of The Girl from the Marsh Croft in 1917. Karin got her divorce in 1918, but she and Lars didn't get married until 1922.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Am I right in saying that when The Scarlet Letter was filmed, Lars and Lillian couldn't understand each other's language. The chemistry is remarkable though....
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Alison,

:D Hey, welcome back! Yes, apparently Lars did not speak a work of English yet, whee THE SCARLET LETTER was being produced! Incredible! Incidentally, Have you seen CAPTAIN SALVATION before??? I feel this is a very underrated film.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

According to Lillian Gish, It mystified Victor Sjöström that they could create such chemistry in spite of the language problem. They couldn't speak to each other, but could still understand each other thanks to their silent acting.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's makes the film even more special, knowing that about Lillian and Lars. I wonder could the speak to one another by the time of filming The Wind?

Thanks for the welcome back, Gagman. It's good to be back.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin