Happy Easter, Happy Passover & Let the Revels Begin...

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Happy Easter, Happy Passover & Let the Revels Begin...

Post by moira finnie »

A very Happy Easter or Passover to all who share these faiths. To those who may not, I sincerely hope that you revel in the Rites of Spring as well. No matter what we believe, I suspect that all of us look forward to those small signs of life re-emerging from slumber, such as a bird's song at dawn, or the first shoots of flowers and leaves, and, I hope, a bounce in your step...my first sign of the season was a ladybug who showed up on my kitchen windowsill this week. A sign of good luck, I hope?
P.S. To our friends in the Southern Hemispheres experiencing Summer, I hope that the cooler weather to come is welcome too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Happy Easter everyone.

Here's looking forward to better weather for the Northern hemisphere and an actual summer for Britain and France instead of the two nice days from last year :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

However...for some of us, we're only beginning the third week of Great Lent. For those counting, we Orthodox have four more weeks of Great Lent and fasting, followed by Holy Week and serious fasting. Easter falls on April 27 (it has to be after Passover) with the traditional lamb and pig on a spit in the yard (Yes -- Mrs. ChiO's family really does this. Life here is one BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING). I can't move for days after seven weeks of fasting followed by the gorging.

Or, as our younger daughter said when she was little: I know Plain Easter was today. When is Easter? :wink:
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Most of the people I know here in NYC keep commenting on how odd it is that Easter and Passover are a month apart this year - it feels kind of screwy in a city that celebrates everyone's holidays. FYI - this weekend saw the Hindu Spring holiday of Holi as well.

But in any event, we are awash in Springtime tourists already, although the UN (next door to my office) is quiet today, since Easter Monday is a holiday in many parts of the world and many UN personnel have taken the day off.

Happy Pascal Season to everyone!