Who's the best Queen Victoria

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Who's the best Queen Victoria

Post by stuart.uk »

Anna Neagle played Victoria twice Victoria The Great and much the same film, but in colour Sixty Glorious Years, both with Anton Walbrook as Albert

Irene Dunne played her in The Mudlark

Annette Crosbie in the tv series Edward The 7th with Robert Hardy as Albert

Judi Dench, wonderful in the part in Mrs. Brown with The Big Yin Billy Connelly as servant John Brown

Victoria Hamilton also played her in a recent tv movie

Prunella Scales played her in drama/documentary Looking For Victoria

in a popular episode of Doctor Who, Shirley Valentine star Pauline Collins played Victoria as an action heroine, carrying as the real life Queen did, a pistol on her person

i must admit for an off-beat role i did enjoy Pauline Collins, but from a historical view point i think Anna Neagle in her two films and Judi Dench are the ones who stand out
klondike

Post by klondike »

I'd have to opt for the Indomitable Densch, I guess, but in the final weighing, that might just be because the role regina in Mrs. Brown is much more finely and sensitively portrayed than I've seen it anywhere else.
As far as the "John Browns" go, I'd have to say Billy Connolly's zestful performance would edge out the immortal Donald Crisp's screentime in Mudlark, but 'zooks, it would be close!
Last edited by klondike on April 17th, 2008, 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Forgive my "double-posting" here, Stu, but just occurred to me that we'd overlooked the lamentably late (& much missed) Mollie Maureen as Victoria in the wickedly arch The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.