Harvey

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Harvey

Post by Lzcutter »

I love Harvey. I enjoy the film version over the television version because by the time that Stewart did the play for television he was a tad too old.

There are many things I love about the film. The performances from Stewart to Josephine Hull to Jessie White and all the actors in between giving it their all.

But underneath the comedy is the real story for me. During the Post-War era there was the feeling that individualism was being lost and people were conforming to the standards of the day as a means of being accepted, of rising above their "station" in life and of giving up pieces of their personalities in order to get ahead at the job, at home or in the neighborhood.

Don Siegel explored this theme except he did it through sci-fi, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The conformity of the 1950s (pod people) would lead to much of the social revolution of the mid and late 1960s.

Harvey stands as a gentle reminder that one need not give up those ideas that you hold dear in order to conform.

Elwood P Dowd could easily be another man in a gray flannel suit but something in Dowd's make up doesn't allow him to give up that part of his personality that makes him Dowd. He comes from a long line of cinematic eccentrics dating back to before Longfellow Deeds and going forward to Forrest Gump.

And like Deeds and all the non-conformists, Dowd realizes that his strength and integrity come from not being part of the norm. Not doing what is expected. But being who he is at all times allows him the freedom to not only see Harvey but to live a life on his terms. Which, when you think about it, is what we all want. Elwood understands the need to stop and smell the roses, to sometimes get off the gravy train and the importance of principals. Elwood knows there is a time for compromise and a time to stay true to those principals.

Faced with the decision to turn Elwood into a normal guy (which the taxi driver tells Veta "And you know what stinkers they are! ") even Veta can not make the decision to turn Elwood into something that he is not.

She may want social standing and the respect of the blue bloods but not at the expense of her brother's well being. Given the choice, she sides with Elwood. Which, in turn, transforms Myrtle Mae's life.

Myrtle Mae will be happier with Jessie White than she ever would be with a blue blood banker.

There is something to be said for being able to see a six foot pooka named Harvey.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Nice comments, Lynn. Harvey is one of my favorite films as well.

I honestly believe Oscar winner Josephine Hull is the strongest performer in the cast, though I do love Stewart as Elwood. True, few actors could have played that role with as much warmth as Stewart, but Hull cracks me up every time I watch this picture. Almost every scene she's in is comic gold, and I love that classic line to her daughter: "Myrtle Mae, you have a lot to learn, and I hope you never learn it."

I've often wondered to what extent Mary Chase (the author of the play) was influenced by eastern philosophy/religion. Elwood's brand of nonconformity - specifically, to be "pleasant" rather than "smart" and exercising grace rather than maintaining a constant drive for influence and success (wasn't Elwood once a businessman or similar?) - seems Taoist, though I must admit I'm no expert in this area...

-Stephen
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've not seen this film for such a long time. It is indeed a treasure :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Lynn:

Reading your post and some of the others at TCM made me wonder if Dowd was really that convicted about who he is or was it he was a simple guy who found a way of life and self that he enjoyed.

Take his comment about being oh so smart or oh so pleasant and that he prefers pleasant, is that a product of his not being that smart? There is wisdom in what he says but it almost seems accidental.

Some people sit and ponder the things of life and out of that comes wisdom. With Elwood I get more the sense of "out of the mouths of babes."

Some see him as a drunk. I never really did. I don't know that his family's help is trying to conform him as much as it is just help. Imagine our grief if one of our children came home with a six foot pooka. We'd be on the phone with someone pretty quick. Ultimately he does no harm, he's happy and functions (ceratinly better than some) so why push it.

If only life were that simple.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."