Lubitsch's The Merry Widow

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Lubitsch's The Merry Widow

Post by MissGoddess »

I just want to alert everyone that TCM (U.S.) is airing Lubie's famous version of the musical, The Merry Widow, tonight (5/12) at 9:30 p.m. (EST). Everyone try to catch it if you can (even if you are not normally a fan of musicals), they don't often show this gem.

More info. can be found here:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=14840
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks for this!
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have this film on an official released VHS, which contains a "censored"* version running 98-99 minutes, but I know that TCM has the "uncensored" version which runs much longer. I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me which version TCM aired. I've been looking for the complete prints for quite a time. Thanks.

* Mark Vieira states in his book "Sin in Soft Focus Pre Code Hollywood" that although the film was released to video, laser disc and cable with the 13 cuts made in 1934, the 35mm theatrical prints, 16mm rental prints and the Turner Classic Movies version are complete.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ciao, Feo!

I believe it was the longer version TCM aired. The placed it in a 9:30 to 11:15 timeslot and it seemed pretty long for a movie of that period.

Such a lovely, lovely confection. Gorgeous. And a welcome, frothy escape in today's ghastly world.

I have that book by Mark Viera! I have spoken to him on the phone before, one of my photographers was his apprentice and she did a session with me once using those cameras Clarence Bull and George Hurrell used on their lovely subjects. The negatives are huge so you can retouch them and that's why they made the stars look so luminous.

It was so exciting!
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Jeannette's singing is definitely not my preference, but the sets and stagings were just terrific. And the supporting cast is so much fun - Edward Everett Horton, Donald Meek, Sterling Holloway, Una Merkel - not a weak link among the bunch. Thanks for this most entertaining film.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I was working so I missed this...again! I must rent the dvd soon. I saw the last five minutes, which were funny and delicious.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Excuse my ignorance, but were Edward Everett Horton and Sterling Holloway together in many movies that are available for rental?

Watching each of them always brings a smile, and seeing them together in this was pure joy.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi ChiO,
According to IMDb, Edward Everett Horton and Sterling Holloway appeared in three movies together:
Alice in Wonderland (1933)
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)
The Merry Widow (1934)

All but Alice in Wonderland seem to be on dvd.
There don't seem to be any official Sony/Paramount recordings of Alice in Wonderland (1933), but according to the IMDb message board for the movie there is a place called Happy Video that sells it. If you go there, their search feature is almost nonexistent, but if you click on W.C. Fields on the left of the screen, Alice in Wonderland on dvd for $17.95 shows up. Maybe it's in the public domain.

Having seen it years ago, it's pretty interesting in an odd, early talkie way, with Leon Errol, Louise Fazenda, Ford Sterling, 'Skeets' Gallagher, Polly Moran, Sterling Holloway, Roscoe Ates, Alison Skipworth, Richard Arlen, Edward Everett Horton, Charles Ruggles, Baby LeRoy, Edna May Oliver, Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Mae Marsh, Jack Oakie, Billy Bevan, & Billy Barty.

Have you seen the Mongo spotlight on Edward Everett Horton, found here?
After seeing Mongo unearth all the obscure movies he was in during the '20s-'40s, I'd really love to see more of them, as well as the best known ones.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Ain't it always the case.

IT'S A MAD...WORLD is one I find unwatchable in its entirety, and THE MERRY WIDOW is one I just saw. And I'm sure I've seen ALICE IN WONDERLAND y-e-a-r-s ago, starstudded and yet surreal.

Oh well, back to film noir.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

moirafinnie wrote:I was working so I missed this...again! I must rent the dvd soon. I saw the last five minutes, which were funny and delicious.
Dear Moira, as far as I know it has sadly not been released on DVD and the version that was put on VHS and laserdisc is the shorter edited one. :(

I bought the Lubistch musical set released by Eclipse and it only includes 4 Paramounts: One Hour With You, Monte Carlo, Love Parade and Smiling Lieutenant.
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:Ciao, Feo!

I believe it was the longer version TCM aired. The placed it in a 9:30 to 11:15 timeslot and it seemed pretty long for a movie of that period.

Such a lovely, lovely confection. Gorgeous. And a welcome, frothy escape in today's ghastly world.

I have that book by Mark Viera! I have spoken to him on the phone before, one of my photographers was his apprentice and she did a session with me once using those cameras Clarence Bull and George Hurrell used on their lovely subjects. The negatives are huge so you can retouch them and that's why they made the stars look so luminous.

It was so exciting!
Thanks for that info April!!

The film is indeed delightful and in the version I have I can realise where certain cuts where made, ie: in key scenes in the queen's bedroom.

I'd like to see those pixs!!! They must be something!!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

After re-watching this film, it confirms my first-viewing's reaction: the Stars are fine, but I watch it for everyone else.

I have long suspected I did this when re-watching films - for the films in my "100 Club" - where I've seen them a hundred times and can watch them over and over another 100 or more - I KNOW I watch a lot of those because of the supporting cast and whatever stories are swirling behind the main plot.

MERRY WIDOW has all of this background stuff going on - the great sets, and wondering what those actors thought about those costumes years later, plus the great supporting cast. I wonder what Lubitsch thought of this, his last musical? Did he "say it all", or I wonder if he ever thought about doing it again? Or was it just too much trouble?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Ollie---That Lady in Ermine was a musical, which, of course, Lubie didn't get to finish because of his health.

:cry:

It's incredible to think about the kind of money the studios had back then to pour into the costumes and sets of a movie like The Merry Widow---I couldn't get over how sumptuous the appointments were, down the last detail---including the stunning, handmade lingerie Jeannette so famously wore.
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

INVESTED! INVESTED! Not "poured"!! Shame on you! ha ha... but yes, this film looks SO rich because it HAD to be costly. Good grief - some of those scenes look more vast and richly appointed than Star Wars Clone scenes! And without crayon artwork.

I wonder if the studios ran around, stealing rival studios' wardrobes for some of these films - "We need 1,000 gowns" and did everyone pitch in? After all, they were swapping stars sometimes - why not designers and wardrobes? Some of those costume departments had to be good training ground for war factories later on! "Yesterday, 1000 gowns, today, 1000 parachutes..."

And maybe from the same material!

I caught wifey-poo playing it a 3rd time in 3 days. Uh oh. If I catch her twirling our kids around, teaching ballroom dancing, MissG, you're gonna be in BIG trouble. "Inciting a dance craze" or something like that. You are gonna be in SUCH trouble - you KNOW I hate musicals like this. I could only stand to watch the last 97 minutes of it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ha! My mistake, I don't know why I said "poured" because I certainly didn't mean I thought it wasted----I think it's extraordinary and how I would LOVE to possess some of those gorgeously crafted gowns.

I caught wifey-poo playing it a 3rd time in 3 days. Uh oh. If I catch her twirling our kids around, teaching ballroom dancing, MissG, you're gonna be in BIG trouble. "Inciting a dance craze" or something like that. You are gonna be in SUCH trouble - you KNOW I hate musicals like this. I could only stand to watch the last 97 minutes of it.

Hee!! At least they'd be learning classy dancing and maybe they could try out for Dancing with the Stars! lol

It's those last 97 minutes that get you. :wink:

P.S. Just to get even more gushingly girlie, I thought Jeannette's hair when it was down and loose in the bedroom scenes was SO beautiful!!!
-- Will Rogers