Poll ended at June 11th, 2008, 9:15 am

Out of the Past
48%
Touch of Evil
52%

Total votes: 21

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

"Boss ChiO" quipped: "Miring us in a morass of namecalling is inappropriate for this learned Forum."

How psychologically interesting (and revealing) that the once dignified opposition now sees being referred to as "Wellesian" as an example of pejorative "namecalling." What must that say about how they really feel about themselves and the cause they have taken up? How distressing that the callous caterwauling from the other side has taken such a peculiar path; a clear indication that the moral barometer once firmly in place for this competition has been blithely abandoned by the EVIL in favor of scurilous and egregious war mongering.

In addition he stated: "We would never stoop to alleging that a payola scandal was the downfall of an avatar."

There is a stunning irony attached to the above shrouded indignation that will, for reasons of decency and tact, go undiscussed in this forum. The shocking nature of such a disclosure would indeed induce widespread revulsion throughout our community of upstanding citizenry.

Once again, in the name of all that is holy and hallowed, please cast your vote NOW for OUT OF THE PAST.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

"Boss ChiO" says:
"The Orson Welles-Russell Metty collaboration brings together two giants (please, no further petty attacks on girth) for an incredible visual feast (and don't say that it's surprising that Welles didn't eat it). These are, after all, motion pictures."
"I will eat (or drink) any motion picture before its time...hic!"
[youtube][/youtube]
Appalling.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

I don't know Dewey, it looks to me to be someone trying very hard to achieve perfection! As I've heard it told, Welles was never a "One take Woody VanDyke." I'm not big on artists selling themselves for commercial endorsements either (thank you Neil Young!) but I think if we scratch "just below" the surface, we'll find "one or two" more that have done exactly that! They may have even advertised (hold your breath here) cigarettes!! (See John Wayne amongst others.) Sounds to me suspiciously like a case (bottle?) of "sour grapes" on someone's part! Everybody say "Hmmmm..."

As always,

Hollis
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hello Hollis, my friend! In this, the most hotly contested election of the year, any and everything goes. Including the dignity of our esteemed opponent!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Dignity restored. ("Nice work, Harry.")

[youtube][/youtube][/youtube]
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Here we go again. With about 9 hours until the polls close, we are knotted at 8 apiece. Let's keep those votes rolling folks, we need a winner!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Screw all that other stuff, Turnereour (whatever) stepped out of his own box of cat people and other foolishness to do the best noir film ever, He should get some recognition for that.

* * * * * OUT OF THE PAST * * * * *

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

At long last another voice of reason has been uttered.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dewey, you lost me compadre! I find it very hard to imagine you denigrating the taste or integrity of a most worthy "opponent" like El ChiO! But trust me, I know it's only in fun. I for one, think he's one of the more interesting contributors to this forum and I very much look forward to reading his postings. He's well spoken, erudite and has impeccable taste to boot! Is it any wonder he and I agree on this one? I remember somewhere, sometime in the past, someone saying something to the effect that "great minds think alike." As far as this corner is concerned, truer words have never been spoken! I only wish I had a deeper knowledge of film history so I could go "toe to toe" with some of you folks and have my arguments carry a bit more validity. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with looking at movies and the people that bring them (or brought them) to the screen with an unjaundiced eye. Truth be told, I can relate the phrase "ignorance is bliss" to watching a movie in that the less I'm aware of the backstory and the technical aspects of movie making, the more I can watch and enjoy the film as a whole without knowing how or what to dissect in it. Does that make any sense to you?

Remember how I said that I've never seen a film (other than documentaries) about Vietnam? Well, the other night, I was flipping through the channels and came across "Platoon" just as Willem Dafoe was entering a VC tunnel complex with a .45 auto drawn, I immediately went to the next channel because I knew from personal experience that that was something that just wasn't done, not in 1968. I said to myself "how thoroughly could this story have been researched if they're showing something like that?" If it's a question of something glaringly nonfactual within a movie and I'm aware of it, that's one thing. It won't necessarily ruin the movie for me but it does lend itself to my questioning other things as to their validity as well. In this case, I simply didn't want to be reminded of things I'd seen myself or that had happened to people around me so it was expedient to change the channel. If it had been the War of 1812, would I have known whether the cannons on the gunships were realistic? Or that the sailors were fighting with the right swords? Granted, that's nothing to do with the cinematography or direction (things I know little if anything about) but I think it serves to illustrate my point. At least I hope so. Again I'll ask, does this last paragraph make any sense at all? Sometimes there's a discontinuity between a thought in my mind and translating it to the written word. Let me know if you would. Even though it's not my first time, be gentle!

As always,

Hollis
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Well, thank goodness!!!! We broke that deadly tie that was stuck at 8 aside. We've moved on up to a stalemate at 9!!!!

We need to tip these scales one way or the other....please!!!!!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Howdy Hollis -- I hate to dispel the magic of this thread, but yes, it is all in fun. And no one understands that better than our good and wonderful friend ChiO. His willingness to play along in this raucous and rancorous "campaign" has helped to make it one of the more entertaining spectacles at the Oasis. You can rest assured that not one genuine word of ill will has crossed these boards. I probably should have waited until tomorrow to post this, just to heighten the imaginary suspense of this truly suspenseful match-up! But I didn't want you to worry!

As for PLATOON, I think it's one of the best war films I've ever seen. Of course I haven't seen an actual war first hand so I have no way to determine how factual the details are. I do know that Oliver Stone, who made the film, served in Viet Nam in 1967 / 68. Whether or not he chose to take artistic liberties with respect to the firearms used in combat is anyone's guess. Although, I have to confess, if I had my own first hand knowledge of such things, it could very well influence my perception of the film as a whole.

Tale care my friend. And remember this: OUT OF THE PAST is the superior film, regardless of the outcome of this competition and regardless of what you or your corrupt lobbyist pal from Chicago says!! So there!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I go away for a day and you kids wreck the house! :P

Seriously though, we are left with two great films. Touch of Evil is indeed a masterwork effectively closing the classic noir era. Out of the Past is the film that literally defines what film noir is.

Tourneur weaves together all the elements: flashback, femme fatale, double cross, and Expressionism. While many films might have these cornerstones, they do not have Tourneur's subtley and flow within their frames. The noir genre often uses bold contrasts and violence, but consider how this is not the focus of Out of the Past. The film instead works through suggestion, making us, the audience, participants instead of spectators--which is its genius.

While I love Touch of Evil, I always think of it as a noir--one of the greatest, but firmly within it's genre. Out of the Past is one of the few genre films that trancends it's catagorization and becomes the standard by which all great films are measured.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Having spent four glorious hours this afternoon in a class attempting to learn us lawyers how to be civil and ethical, I can only say that Dewey, you &%$(#^%, you have no idea what the &*#)*% you're writing.

But I did learn to listen and empathize, and that, my Motown Mate, is how I could discern the vile venom dripping fom the phrase "how Wellesian". But, yet, we can turn that into a Badge of Honor.

Yes, "how Wellesian" (or Cassavetesian), indeed, to demand one's Vision and to work to raise money to create a piece of Art that the philistines cannot accept. No studio shill here. A gallon of Gallo before its time in order to generate Genius that may never be seen is a small price to pay (or drink).

And as for he who cannot accept the power of TOUCH OF EVIL,
well(es), Take him out and shoot him.
[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Your vitriol will gain you no support in the corners of respectable society, Shyster! It's a shallow game you play, appealing to the sympathies one may possess for a spent shell of a man, shilling his way deeper into obscurity and shame.

No matter the outcome of this election, true film fanatics will know beyond all doubt that OUT OF THE PAST is the superior choice. Shame on you, sir!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Well, well, I get up this morning to find another tie finish. I conclude there is only one solution, we send Dewey and ChiO on the campaign trail! If that doesn't work out there's a nice back alley here in TX that I'll reserve for "discussion". 8)

P.S. Those wishing to make their bets need to call in early and don't forget: 10% goes to the house! :wink: