R.I.P - Jim McKay

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

R.I.P - Jim McKay

Post by movieman1957 »

Maybe not best suited for our board but I thought it worth noting Jim McKay passed away at his home in Maryland.

A long time host of ABC's Wide World Of Sports and frequent Olympics host he had a respect in the business that is usually reserved for the likes of Cronkite. There was almost no sport he did not cover. He was witty and humble and had an easy going style that made him hard not to like.

ABC, to their credit, let him anchor the coverage of the hostage situation at the 1972 Olympics in Munich. When, at the end, he announced "they're all gone" I felt his sorrow.

Even when ABC discarded him he turned up at NBC for a few events. It looked weird watching him hold a microphone with anything other than the ABC logo on it. Some of today's sports anchors would be well served watching some tape of McKay.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Chris,
For those of us that grew up as sports fans in the 60's he was an integral part of our memories. The kids today can't conceive of life without ESPN, but he was our wndow to worldwide sports back then. I can't even hear his name to this day without the Wide World of Sports theme music running through my mind.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I will miss him. I was never a big sports fan, but I did watch sports shows that he was hosting. He was one of the more intelligent and, more importantly, unintrusive and respectful sports commentators around. He kept the commentary going, but didn't clog your brain with fatuous and unnecessary blather, they way the do now. Sports TV today seems to me to be all about the men "discussing" it, and very little about what's actually going on in the games.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Amen. Think Chris Berman (ugh!!) will wear out his welcome before his 40th anniversary on the air rolls around? Anyone beyond a certain age will never forget "The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat." Jim McKay, Chris Schenkel and Keith Jackson were the "Holy Trinity" of sports broadcasting in their day. ESPN has done nothing but create a generation of "me first" athletes. The team always comes in a distant second.

As always,

Hollis
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

So much of what passes for humor in sports shows now is so contrived. Men of that time were all genuine. They weren't pretty. THey didn't have to be. They didn't talk down. Often it felt as if you were part of a group sitting around watching the event with them. They were professional and personable.

I just read article where Cosell all but begged to be on that Munich broadcast in 1972. Roone Arledge was a smart man. He knew with Cosell the story might get lost in the hyperbole. Harry Reasoner or Howard K. SMith couldn't have handled it any better and may not have given it the heart McKay did.
Chris

Hollis

Post by Hollis »

I was all of 20 years old when the Munich Olympic massacre happened and I remember it all too well. You're absolutely right Chris. I don't know that anyone in broadcasting could have done a more credible job than did Jim McKay. At that point he had anchored several Olympic broadcasts and was more than aware of the impact the story would have far beyond the world of sports. When he spoke to the audience you felt as though he were talking about the loss of someone from his own family, and in a sense he was. He may be the most self effacing high profile television commentator the world has ever seen, or is likely to.

As always,

Hollis
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Chris,
I don't mean to side-track from Jim McKay but your mention of Cosell really struck a distinct series of memories. Did anyone else watch Monday night football just hoping that someone would say something to embarrass or shut Cosell up? He came across as so arrogant and full of himslef that it was hilarious when he was matched against the down-home wit of his co-host. As much as he annoyed me I sure missed him after he was gone from the broadcast. It has never had that strange love/hate relationship since he left.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's ok to sidetrack. I think there were times when Meredith used to get after him but he was subtle enough that no one would take it as a direct jab.

I don't remember anyone going after him. He sure was the show off though. He was smart but I thought he didn't always have to be so obvious about it.

I think Woody Allen hit it right in "Sleeper." In the scene where there showing old pictures or film clips he is asked about Cosell. He mentions that showing it was considered a form of torture. (Good fun considering Cosell had a role in "Bananas.")
Chris

Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Being a former runner, my most vivid memories of McKay are of his coverage of Dave Wottle's 800-meter run and Frank Shorter's marathon at Munich. Brilliant. I can hardly remember anything he said regarding the massacre, though. Either I was too young to appreciate it, or I've blocked it out.

I watch very little sports at all anymore, the luster seems to have faded with the advent of money, steroids, and free agency, and the loss of great personalities like McKay.