Paul Newman, superstar

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

Paul Newman, superstar

Post by knitwit45 »

I just found this on the TCM site:

the "source" is iffy, we can only hope and pray it isn't so.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... public_rss

Paul Newman has cancer

June 09, 2008 11:21am

FILM legend Paul Newman is suffering from lung cancer, according to U.S. magazine reports.

The Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid actor, 83, has been suffering from ill health for many months and in May was forced to pull out of directing a production of John Steinbeck's Of Mice And Men.

Two U.S. publications quote friends of the actor saying the former chain-smoker has been diagnosed with lung cancer at the New York’s Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre, a few hours drive from his Connecticut home, where he lives his wife Joanne Woodward.

A friend of the actor told the National Enquirer: 'We have known he is seriously ill for several weeks but his loved ones are being very protective and saying very little.'

Newman has denied previous cancer reports in March after he missed a fundraising event for his Hole in The Wall Gang children's charity.

The same month, he cancelled an appearance on U.S. talk show The Late Show With David Letterman.

His spokesperson played down his hospitalisation, insisting Newman was 'being treated for athlete’s foot and hair loss'.

A cancer patient was quoted in the New York Post newspaper in March that he had seen Newman at the oncologists regularly.

He said: 'He's been there a lot, he's even worked out in the waiting room, doing the squat thrusts.

Last time, he was in there he had a long beard. (His wife) Joanne Woodward is there waiting for him and being very sweet with the assistants.'

Newman retired from acting last year, blaming his failing memory.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

My thoughts and prayers are with Paul Newman, and his wife Joanne Woodward at this time.
A top notch Hollywood superstar who gave some very fine performances in his 55 year career (my favorite "Cool Hand Luke").

Also a man with a heart he founded Newman's Own, a successful food company he built from the ground up in which all the proceeds go to charity. He would also start The Hole in the Wall Gang Camps, an organization for terminally ill children, etc. Gob bless him.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

As usual I'm probably going to sound crotchety and mean, but I love and adore, as well as respect both Paul Newman and his wife JoAnn Woodward, but the thing that irritates me is . . . although as a fan I might want to send a get well soon card . . . so would millions of others - perhaps that is why the family is trying to keep the story low key. I imagine when a beloved actor is terminally ill, carloads of mail and e-mails would be one more overload for the family to bear.

Of course you send a card or letter when a friend or acquaintance passes away, but can you imagine the millions of items a Paul Newman would receive? In addition to well meaning notes, that particular couple, married in HOLLYWOOD for longer than most modern couples today, would also get appreciative tomes from churches, schools, and all sorts of family groups.

They are both some of the few still left from the late 40's, 50's and 60's, and they have obviously seen the circuses that often occur and want to put that off until as long as possible.

In any case, I wish them both well, and a short illness.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sorry John:

I'm trying to say that the family probably wants the information to stay lowkey to avoid tons and tons of unwanted attention by mail and e-mail. If stories are being spread that loss of memory, and/or athletes foot or hair loss are his reasons to pull out of a job, it seems obvious to me there is an undercurrent afoot that the family does not want the public involved until they feel it is time for an announcement of some sort.

In other words, the National Enquirer and the other sources should have kept their mouths shut.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

From People Magazine June 11, 08:

Paul Newman has responded obliquely to a number of published reports that say he is gravely ill with cancer.

The 83-year-old Oscar winner's spokesman in Los Angeles, Jeff Sanderson, told Reuters and other media outlets on Tuesday: "Newman says he's doing nicely."

Without elaborating, Sanderson added: "He says he's doing nicely, and this is the statement I wanted to share with you, and that's what I have. I spoke to his office [in Connecticut]. This is the statement that came directly from him."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I realize that newspapers such as The National Enquirer and NY Post often report things that public figures would prefer to keep private, but, in light of the sometimes shaky journalistic standards of these media outlets, and the fact that Mr. Newman has been deeply involved in helping people with cancer in several concrete ways for decades, isn't it possible that the former actor was simply accompanying a person to the oncologist on the occasions cited?

I wish him well, whatever the reason behind these reports.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Newman's business partner, A E Hotchner, has confirmed to the Associated Press that Paul Newman has cancer.

However, there is no confirmation of what type. All Mr Hotchner is saying is that Newman is doing well, is undergoing treatment, has regained much of the weight he lost last year and hopes to race again.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Gee, Lynn, I suppose where there's smoke there's probably fire, but A.E. Hotchner (who has helped to manage Newman's charitable work & written about the disintegration of Hemingway in Papa Hemingway and a bio of Sophia Loren), always struck me as one of those show biz types who liked getting his name in the paper. Maybe too much.

Since it seems that he is struggling with some health issues, I sure hope Paul Newman is given some privacy by the jackals in the media now.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks