US OPEN

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Hollis

US OPEN

Post by Hollis »

Morning,

I hope everyone with a passion for sports is watching the US Open Playoff this morning.

GO TIGER! GET # 14 !!!!

As always,

Hollis
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm stuck at work. To be perfectly honest these Tiger worship-fests really get on my nerves. I have nothing against Tiger nor do I question his talent but this love-in from NBC hit a new low for me.

NBC promoted some web site where you could relive EVERY shot Tiger had this week. That wasn't enough. Yesterday he made some 6-8 foot par and they showed five different replays. Westwood hits a beautiful bunker shot and the same hole and I'm not sure they replayed it all.

At the end when Tiger made his birdie someone on the broadcast was gleeful saying "We get four more hours of Tiger tomorrow." Whoop-de-do.

I'm for everything Tiger can get but, NBC, show a little love to the other guys too.

(Go Rocco.)
Last edited by movieman1957 on June 16th, 2008, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

¡Ciao! Patsy wrote:When did the Tiger love-fest start back up again?
I didn't think it ever stopped. If Tiger got a hang nail it was all over the news. Maybe the time you mentioned is when I zoned it all out as I was tired of hearing about him.
Last edited by movieman1957 on June 16th, 2008, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Simple, It's because he's the best and capable of doing what no one else has ever done. Don't believe me? Ask Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer!

As always,

Hollis
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Nothing against Tiger Woods or any other modern golfer, but change out their bags with vintage pre-1980's clubs and balls, and see how they would stack up against Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, Player, Hogan, Jones, Nelson... I rarely golf anymore, as my back and knees prevent it, but when I hit the links with my 1983 Wilson 1200LT's (heads aren't much bigger than the ball), I'm usually met with laughter. Technology should never govern any game, and it kind of ruins it for me. That, and the obscene amounts of money, agents, endorsements, rudeness...
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hmmmm,

Aluminum bats in college baseball? With all the money the NCAA has, it's more than economics, don't you think?

As always,

Hollis
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Bryce,

Gotta love "The Coolest Game on Earth!"

As always,

Hollis
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

What about a British winner at Birkdale, now that Tiger won't be there. Not that I'm saying that a Brit couldn't win with him there, but they might fancy there chances more. Lee Westwood, who was jokingly asked by Racing presenter Claire Balding at Royal Ascot why he couldn't beat a man with a broken leg, must be hopeful. Then there's Justin Rose and Paul Casey, not to mention Monty, who's coming into form at the right time after a lean period

As I'm writing Scot Andy Murray looks like he's going to win his 3rd round Wimbeldon match. If he can get to the quarters he'll likely play Nadal, in what would be potentially a great match. The first two slams were played on Andy's least favourite surfaces and while Nadal rightly would start as favourite, Andy has a realistic chance on grass.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

As to the Nicklaus/Woods debate I'll be willing to admit Tiger's the best once he reaches 19 Majors.

However, IMO Jack had more all time great players in his era than Tiger does today. When Jack started Hogan and Snead were still at the top with Arnie and Gary Player already established. Then came Watson, Trevino, Miller and Sevvy.

This is my top ten Brit and Irish all time players

Nick Faldo (1980s-1990s)
Henry Cotton (1930s-1940s)
Harry Vardon (1890s-1920s)
James Braid (1900s-1910s)
James H Taylor (1890s-1910s)
Ian Woosnam (1980s)
Sandy Lyle (1980s)
Tony Jacklin (1960s)
Ted Ray (1910s-20s)
Podraig Harrington (2000s)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I thought Jack had more competition then but that may be I just know players from the 70s and 80s better. That's not taking anything away from Tiger. I get annoyed at all the worship, I don't think is too strong a word, that goes on on TV. I'm sure the networks are crying the blues.
Chris