What about Cary or Errol as Bond

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

What about Cary or Errol as Bond

Post by stuart.uk »

I read recently that Alfred Hitchcock was supposed to direct a 50s version of From Russia With Love with Cary Grant as James Bond, but that in their words the failure of either Rear Window or Vertigo (I'm not sure which one) caused the producers to change there minds. I don't know how accurate the story was.

In a doc about the history of Bond I was given to understand Cary Grant was the first choice to play Bond, but he didn't want to make more than one movie. James Mason I believe was also suggested, before the role went to the younger Sean Connery. I think Grant would have been great in the role, though to the best of my knowledge he'd never played a ruthless killer before (Hitch wanted him to play a potential killer in Suspicion, but the producer overturned his decision).

I think Errol Flynn would have also been a great Bond, both in his heyday or in 1962 had he lived and kept his health. By the time Dr. No was made Errol would only have been about 54 and probably could have played the role right through the 1960s.

Any other suggestions for classical actors playing the British spy.
Last edited by stuart.uk on June 27th, 2008, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think at the right age Flynn probably would have been better. Grant's gymnastics abilities notwithstanding Flynn seems to have been the better athlete which would majke the action scenes more believeable. The romance would have been equal to either.

David Niven? Not sure.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

David Niven played Doctor Jason Love, who was a spy in the 1964 Where The Spies Are. John Le Mesurier played an M like character in the film
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I thought Ian Fleming had written the Bond novels with Cary Grant in mind. I think in Grant's hands Bond would have had a different feel, lighter with more humour probably not as dangerous. Cary Grant was getting a little older when the Bond movies were made, he might have carried off a couple but my feeling is he was too old.

Errol Flynn as Bond, a thirty something Flynn playing Bond, that would have been worth seeing.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin