*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:Oh dear, oh dear -- I can remember a time when I could cover them with just my two hands.
Sigh :cry:

Sigh.
Generosity takes so many forms.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Now why am I not at all surprised that you responded with such alacrity to my post, Klonny?

I guess us old folks aren't quite out of it yet, eh?
klondike

Post by klondike »

Compared to an oak tree, I'm still a youg'un.
It's all how your sap runs, I reckon! :twisted:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Judith, remember the line in Calendar Girls, when Helen Mirren says "We're going to need bigger muffins!"
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Re: Jane's photo - I don't think her two hands ever did the job.
What a gal!
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

moirafinnie wrote:
Moraldo Rubini wrote:And I thought it was the door of Arthur Laurents where Farley's decision dwelled...
Yeah, and in one of the few interviews I've seen Granger give, he really did not appreciate Arthur Laurents recounting of their time together. Of course, if Arthur Laurents were more circumspect in his memoir, Original Story: A Memoir of Broadway and Hollywood, that book would have been a lot smaller. But you know, Moraldo, I really like Laurents brutal honesty at times--though I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end! Have you read Laurent's recent book, Mainly on Directing: Gypsy, West Side Story and Other Musicals?
Tip: If you don't want to be written about, don't date a writer.
I read Original Story... and enjoyed it. It lifted the veil from my eyes regarding Gene Kelly, among others; but still allowed me to appreciate their talents. I haven't read Mainly on Directing, but recently saw his latest work on Broadway, the bi-lingual West Side Story. I'll have to add this to my book stack!
Birdy wrote:Re: Jane's photo - I don't think her two hands ever did the job.
What a gal!
Or as Jane used to say, "we 'full-figure' gals..."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:
Birdy wrote:Re: Jane's photo - I don't think her two hands ever did the job.
What a gal!
Or as Jane used to say, "we 'full-figure' gals..."
Confucius say: What cannot be measured by hand, must be measured by feet.
:wink:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

AUGUST 22nd. BIRTHDAYS

MICHELINE PRESLE is 87 today

DIANA SANDS (1934 - 1973)

JAY NOVELLO (1904 - 1982)

ELISABETH BERGNER (1897 - 1986)

CECIL KELLAWAY (1893 - 1973)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore) at his home in retirement
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Ah, Diana Sands, who died so young. One of the greatest Broadway theater experiences I ever had was seeing Sands in a trendy opus of the 60s called Blues for Mr. Charlie. She was absolutely riveting in a suporting role -- I'll never forget her.

Sands was also the lead in the Broadway version of The Owl and the Pussycat, where she co-starred with Alan Alda. I'd bet dollars to donuts those two were way better than the two in the movie version, George Segal (whom I can't stomach much of) and B. Streisand (whom I loathe).
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Judith, I too thought that Diana Sands was something special.
Other than "A Raisin in the Sun" I enjoyed her performance in "The Landlord", and also a handful of TV dramas.
By the way, she was nominated for a Tony Award for both "Blues for Mister Charlie" and "The Owl and the Pussycat".

She was originally cast in the title role for the film, "Claudine" (1974), but sadly her cancer forced her to drop out. She then suggested her friend, Diahann Carroll as her replacement, who went on to get an Oscar nomination for the role.

One could only imagine the heights she would have reached had she lived.
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Awww, Clayton Moore. I grew up in a small town in northern California. Each year there was a celebration there called "Pioneer Week" that culminated on a hot Saturday with a big parade. And each year Clayton Moore would ride his horse down Main Street in this parade. I have no idea what his connection was to the burg, or what inspired him to join in the fun.
jdb1 wrote:Sands was also the lead in the Broadway version of The Owl and the Pussycat, where she co-starred with Alan Alda. I'd bet dollars to donuts those two were way better than the two in the movie version, George Segal (whom I can't stomach much of) and B. Streisand (whom I loathe).
Wow, this is serious! I don't think I've ever seen Judith speak poorly of anyone from Brooklyn!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

AUGUST 23rd. BIRTHDAYS

BOBBY DIAMOND is 66 today

TONY BILL is 69 today

BARBARA EDEN is 75 today

VERA MILES is 80 today

JEAN DARLING is 87 today

JOHN LUPTON (1928 - 1993)

ImageImage
LARRY NUNN (1925 - 1974)

GENE KELLY (1912 - 1996)

RAGS RAGLAND (1905 - 1946)
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:
jdb1 wrote:Sands was also the lead in the Broadway version of The Owl and the Pussycat, where she co-starred with Alan Alda. I'd bet dollars to donuts those two were way better than the two in the movie version, George Segal (whom I can't stomach much of) and B. Streisand (whom I loathe).
Wow, this is serious! I don't think I've ever seen Judith speak poorly of anyone from Brooklyn!
Marco, as we say in Brooklyn: don't get me started!
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote: Marco, as we say in Brooklyn: don't get me started!
Ah, but Judith, Sweet Judith, that is why so many of us log-in every day with that little extra thrill, to see just what that Brooklyn Gal will be getting "started" over now. . . and next.
8)