Barbara Stanwyck Centennial @ B.A.M.

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Actually, I want to add that I think it would be cool if some young girl could be guest programmer so that all the young people could see someone in their age group gushing about someone...not alive? Well, you know what I mean, someone besides whoever they do gush about generally. And she could flirt a little with Bob, which would be hilarious.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This New Yorker article (it's a long one) on Stanwyck was posted over at TCM City and I thought I'd include it here:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007 ... _fact_lane
Moraldo Rubini

Hot Dog!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I think hot dogs at Yankee Stadium are $4.50. I thought that was steep! Good thing they give me a stomach ache so I don't eat them.
That can't be, can it? $4.50 is such a deal! The hot dogs at the Giants games are $8.00. They're great though and have a lot of delicious fixin's...
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

pktrekgirl wrote:I finally got ahold of The Bitter Tea of General Yen recently. I've not watched it yet, but I am very much anticipating it. Alot of folks claim it as their favorite Babs film...so needless to say, I'm 'intrigued'.

It would be hard to beat Ball of Fire though. The more times I watch that film the better I like it.

But really...there are few things I'd rather do than sit around with a bunch of Babs fans, chat, and watch her films together.
Let us know when you've watched "Bitter Tea". It's one of my favorites. I would not rate it or Ball of Fire higher than each other. They are very different kinds of films (one's a drama and the other's a comedy) and Stanwyck plays the roles completely different in every way. Both films really show what a diverse and adaptable actress she was.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm hoping to see The Bitter Tea of General Yen tomorrow night, if all goes as planned. I haven't seen it all in ages and to have a chance to view it on the big screen is too exciting for words.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dear pktrekgirl,

Barbara Stanwyck is also one of my favorite actresses. I'm sure you've seen far more of her films than I have and I was wondering what role of hers is your favorite? It may not even be in your favorite Stanwyck movie but just her finest performance. A lot of the movies I watch for the first time are those that I've heard you and others talking about here and back at TCM. Of the movies I've seen where she was one of the stars, I think Double Indemnity is my favorite drama and Ball of Fire my favorite comedy..

Talk to you later,

Hollis
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

MissGoddess wrote:I'm hoping to see The Bitter Tea of General Yen tomorrow night, if all goes as planned. I haven't seen it all in ages and to have a chance to view it on the big screen is too exciting for words.
Wow! You are so lucky. That's such a beautiful looking picture, I bet it looks amazing on the big screen. Come back and tell all!
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:
pktrekgirl wrote:I finally got ahold of The Bitter Tea of General Yen recently. I've not watched it yet, but I am very much anticipating it. Alot of folks claim it as their favorite Babs film...so needless to say, I'm 'intrigued'.

It would be hard to beat Ball of Fire though. The more times I watch that film the better I like it.

But really...there are few things I'd rather do than sit around with a bunch of Babs fans, chat, and watch her films together.
Let us know when you've watched "Bitter Tea". It's one of my favorites. I would not rate it or Ball of Fire higher than each other. They are very different kinds of films (one's a drama and the other's a comedy) and Stanwyck plays the roles completely different in every way. Both films really show what a diverse and adaptable actress she was.
Yes! I will post about it when I watch it! I'm very much looking forward to it - I just have to find the time. :lol:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Hollis wrote:Dear pktrekgirl,

Barbara Stanwyck is also one of my favorite actresses. I'm sure you've seen far more of her films than I have and I was wondering what role of hers is your favorite? It may not even be in your favorite Stanwyck movie but just her finest performance. A lot of the movies I watch for the first time are those that I've heard you and others talking about here and back at TCM. Of the movies I've seen where she was one of the stars, I think Double Indemnity is my favorite drama and Ball of Fire my favorite comedy..

Talk to you later,

Hollis
I think Ball of Fire is my favorite comedy role of hers as well.

As for other roles....well certainly your pick of Double Indemnity is up there high on the list...but I'd also put The Strange Love of Martha Ivers on that list.

Babs is very good at 'ruthless'. :lol:
GaryCooper

Re: Barbara Stanwyck Centennial @ B.A.M.

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith