Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by JackFavell »

[youtube][/youtube]
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Thanks, Wendy. The voice, by the way, is that of Flo Sandon.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Sorry to hear about Sybil Burton Christopher, but was happy she created another life for herself.

Loved El Negro Zumbon with Silvana Magnano.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The Huffington Post has announced that producer Robert E. Relyea has died. Relyea produced Bullit and The Magnificent Seven among others:

The film producer and director whose credits included "The Magnificent Seven" and "West Side Story has died. Robert E. Relyea was 82.

A spokeswoman for Relyea says he died March 5 of natural causes in Los Angeles.

Relyea's career spanned over 40 years. He worked with stars such as John Wayne on "The Alamo" and Elvis Presley on "Jailhouse Rock."

He collaborated with Steve McQueen on several films, including "Bullitt," "Le Mans" and "The Reivers."

Relyea started as an MGM crew member in 1955 and served as president of production at MGM-United Artists from 1997 to 2001. He released his autobiography, "Not So Quiet on the Set," in 2008.

He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; five children; two stepchildren and grandchildren.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I read today of the death of Jack Greene, a country singer whose one big hit was on every radio I encountered in 1966. "There Goes My Everything" is still remembered by fans of the genre, as the tall, Stetson clad Greene was still performing it a mere five years ago. I shouldn't say this was his only hit. There might have been others. But this is the tune he's remembered for.

The singer's name was used effectively in a parody song I heard. "I'd turn Jack Greene, Mac White, Jim Ed Brown and Carl Bellew..."
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Rise Stevens has died in Manhattan on Wednesday, at age 99.
She was one of the greatest messo-sopranos of the Metropolotan Opera in NYC and performed all over the world, especially La Scala...

Stevens made the films "The Chocolate Soldier" with Nelson Eddy and "Going MY Way" with Bing Crosby...

A great voice has been stilled.

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Aww. She had a lovely warm voice, rich and full, I don't know where it came from, that power, in such a slim elegant woman. I always thought she was so pretty! 99 is a good run. Rest in peace, Ms. Stevens.

[youtube][/youtube]
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

She was a playwright, a screenwriter, a film preservationist (one of the guiding forces behind the 1980s search for the missing footage for A Star is Born and the restoration of the film), and a role model for women in film. Fay Kanin, former four-term president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, has passed away.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Fay Kanin, the Oscar-nominated and Emmy-winning screenwriter who brought an energetic and assertive female voice to her work, then served four terms as president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, has died. She was 95.

Kanin, a New York State spelling bee champion at age 14 who with the late Michael Kanin made for one of the most popular husband-and-wife screenwriting teams in Hollywood history, died Wednesday at her home in Beverly Hills, her family said.

The Kanins shared an Oscar nom for their spunky romantic comedy Teacher’s Pet (1958), starring Clark Gable as a newspaper editor and Doris Day as a journalism teacher. Their first film collaboration, Sunday Punch (1942), about boxers living in a boarding house, was accomplished while they were on their honeymoon in Malibu.

For the rest of the story: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... nin-431454
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Thanks for this information, Lynn. I really enjoyed Teacher's Pet. Sorry to hear about Fay Kanin. She and her husband also scripted one of my favorite guilty pleasures, The Opposite Sex, along with a little help from Claire Boothe Luce.
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi,

Rise Stevens has died in Manhattan on Wednesday, at age 99.
She was one of the greatest messo-sopranos of the Metropolotan Opera in NYC and performed all over the world, especially La Scala...

Stevens made the films "The Chocolate Soldier" with Nelson Eddy and "Going MY Way" with Bing Crosby...

A great voice has been stilled.

Larry

I heard him once in New York with my parents back in 1976 ... because my Mom was a big fan of him and we had a chance to hear him sing. He was incredible.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Phil Ramone, legendary music producer who worked with some of the biggest names in popular music, has died.

Phil Ramone, the instinctive music producer whose mixing mastery for Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, Paul Simon and Billy Joel helped fashion some of the most sumptuous and top-selling albums of his era, has died. He was 72.

The 14-time Grammy winner and 33-time nominee once dubbed “The Pope of Pop” was hospitalized in late Feb. with an aortic aneurysm in New York and died Saturday morning at New York Presbyterian Hospital, according to Ramone's son Matt.

A native of South Africa who at age 10 performed as a violinist for Queen Elizabeth II, Ramone spent years working as a songwriter, engineer and acoustics expert in New York before charting a path that would make him a trusted studio partner in the eyes (and ears) of the industry’s biggest stars.

Among the albums on which he worked were Streisand’s 1967 live A Happening in Central Park; Paul & Linda McCartney’s Ram (1971), sandwiched between the Beatles and Wings eras; Dylan’s aching Blood on the Tracks (1975); Simon’s pop classic Still Crazy After All These Years (1975); Joel’s critical and commercial breakthrough The Stranger (1977); Sinatra’s last-gasp Duets (1993), a model of technical wizardry; and Charles’ final album, the mega-selling Genius Loves Company (2004).

For the rest of the story: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/m ... tra-425444
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Actress Lori March Scourby known as the First Lady of Daytime Television has passed away.

Lori March Scourby, an actress known as the “First Lady of Daytime Television” for her decades of work in serials who also starred in a memorable episode of The Twilight Zone, has died. She was 90.

The wife of the late Alexander Scourby, an actor and narrator of numerous audiobooks including the King James Bible, died in her sleep March 19. No other details of her death were immediately available.

Scourby played Valerie Hill Ames Northcoate on CBS’ The Secret Storm from 1964-74 (Alexander played her husband for a couple of years on the show) and appeared on other soaps including The Brighter Day, Search for Tomorrow, One Life to Live, The Edge of Night, Texas, Guiding Light and Another World.

On “Third From the Sun,” an episode of The Twilight Zone that aired in January 1960, Scourby played the wife of Fritz Weaver’s character. They and another couple on a military base plot to steal a spaceship to escape the planet’s imminent nuclear war.

For the rest of the story: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/l ... one-430803
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Character actor Malachi Throne, known to a generation of movie and television viewers, passed away earlier this month.

Malachi Throne, the veteran TV actor who played Robert Wagner's boss on It Takes a Thief and the enigmatic evildoer False-Face on Batman, died Wednesday in Los Angeles of lung cancer. He was 84.

Justified actor Jim Beaver reported Throne's death Thursday on his Facebook page. “My good friend Malachi Throne died last night. One of the finest actors and finest people I've been fortunate enough to know,” the entry said.

Throne provided the voice of the Talosian leader The Keeper for "The Cage," the pilot episode of Star Trek, and in 1966 played Commodore José Mendez in the only two-parter of the original series.

Earlier, he rejected Gene Roddenberry's offer to play Dr. Leonard McCoy on the series after Throne lobbied for the role of Spock. "There's an old saying among actors: 'Never be the third man through the door,' and I felt I would always be the third man in that role," he once said.

For the rest of the story: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/m ... ief-429009
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I did not know that that Mr. Throne turned down the role of Dr. McCoy on Star Trek. Thanks for pointing that out Lzcutter.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Thanks for posting that notice about Malachi Throne. I also always enjoyed his performances on It Takes A Thief.