Saintly Women

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Saintly Women

Post by stuart.uk »

I was thinking about many of the leading women in The Saint. When I watch it now I discover some of the ladies, who were big stars then, are now more or less forgotten. There are also some, who were just starting out, who have become major stars.

One time Gainsbourgh Gal Patrica Roc, in her last screen role, joined future Bond girl Shirley Eaton and shared the female lead in the pilot The Talented Husband

Julie Christie a yr before Billy Liar and The Fast Lady was in the episode Judith. Samantha Edgar played an aspiring actress in Marcia

Honor Blackman had a smallish role, but around the same time got the role of Cathy Gale In The Avengers

Margot Siad was the only woman that Simon appeared to really fall in love with in the series, in The Saint Sees It Through. Canadian Suzanne Llyod, who appeared earlier in Guy Williams Zorro, was a great Saint girl. She was terrific in The High Fence. Both Suzanne and Margot went on to play oppisite Morcambe And Wise in The Riviera Touch and The Magnificent Two

Sue Llyod was another regular Saint girl, but she's better known for her leading role in Steve Forrest's The Baron and Michael Caine's in The Ipcress File

Two 50s child stars Mandy Miller and Jane Asher (Both in Mandy)were in The Well Meaning Mayor and The Invisible Millionaire. Mandy, despite a great performance, retired at 18 right afterwards. Jane however, after also doing The Noble Sportsman, went on to become a very successful actress, making the likes of Alfie and played Jane Seymore The Six Wives Of Henry The 8th. She is still going strong today.

I don't know why Justine Lord didn't become a more famous actress. A beautiful blonde, she appeared and was impressive in several episodes, including the feature length film The Fiction Makers. and The Saint Plays With Fire. However, she was retired by the end of the 1970s.

Sylvia Syms, possibly the most established actress to appear on the show. Was in The Noble Sportsman and played a novelist with a male name in The Fiction Makers.. One of the most underated British actress of all time IMHO and has played Margaret Thatcher and was the Queen Mother in The Queen

Dawn Adams, a Chaplin discovery in A King In New York, was one of the best Saint girls, appearing in several shows, notebaly The Lawless Lady Sadly after appearing in sit-com Father Dear Father and Sci-Fi drama Star Madiens in the 70s, she died young.

Jean Marsh, before Upstairs Downstairs also did a couple as did Miss. Moneypenny herself Lois Maxwell, though even then I don't think she had a romantic scene with Roger.

Ami Macdonald was in the other feature length Saint Vendetta For The Saint
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The coloured Saint's are being repeated on UKs ITV4. While Roger Moore is looking great for 80, many of his leading ladies back then are as lovley as ever 40s-on like Wanda Ventham, Anne Bell and Fracesa Annis
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The coloured Saint's are being repeated on UKs ITV4. While Roger Moore is looking great for 80, many of his leading ladies back then are as lovley as ever 40s-on like Wanda Ventham, Anne Bell, and Francesca Annis, who looked stunning in the 90s series Reckless, which I know aired in America, playing oppisite Michael Kitchen and credibly with the younger Robson Green

Going back to the black and white days there was the teenage Jane Asher, who like Haley Mills is a former child star enjoying great success, still playing glam roles in Holby City and the Sarah Jane Adventures with Elisabeth Sladen.