British playwright Pinter has died

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

British playwright Pinter has died

Post by stuart.uk »

Just heard the acclaimed playwright Harold Pinter has died. He also wrote screenplays to The Servant , The Go-Between, The French Lieutenant's Woman, The Trial, and the new version of Sleuth
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I liked "The French Lieutenant's Woman" a lot. It has surprised me a bit that it hardly ever shows up on TV or DVD, at least where I'd notice it.

I remember reading Pinter's "The Homecoming" in college. The professor had a recording with Ian Holm as one of the sons. Not my favorite play, but very interesting.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Pinter was genius. I too enjoyed his version of The French Lieutenant's Woman, which was completely reimagined from John Fowles' book. I once saw an excellent stage presentation of The Birthday Party by Minneapolis' Guthrie Theatre. Haunting... I was surprised to learn that he'd worked on The Go-Between and The Last Tycoon. I also was unaware that he often acted in his plays and in movies: Turtle Diaries, The Tamarind Seed, Mansfield Park among others...
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"Turtle Diaries" is a very good movie. I had thought it would be a cutie-cutie romantic comedy, but it turned out to be far more serious, although still a comedy.

It's another movie that should be better known.