Oh, the Shame of It

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

"Joe vs. the Volcano," which apparently has a cult following now.
meet Queen Poo-bah, leader of the cult! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
melwalton

bad films

Post by melwalton »

The sad part is there's an audience for a lot of the garbage they put out. As Louie Mayor said. " you'll never go broke by under rating the taste of the general movie audience'
Which hits me 'cause I liked those Paramount muaicals from the 30S. just the songs,boss, just the songs AND THE DANCING GIRLS , OF COURSE .... MEL
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hey Klonnie,

Funny you should mention micro-dot! In '69 (at the ripe old age of 17) we were exploring the wonders of "The Blotter!" in NE Philly! Several years (and many miles) later we were fascinated by mushrooms (and nobody thought to put them on a pizza) and something called "Loco weed!" what a small (or expansive) world it is! And here I was thinking that the bagpipes were all in my head, when all along it was actually blowing in the wind all the way to where I was from Peekskill!

As always (and psychedelically)

Hollis
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

ohhh, I can't believe you mentioned Pretty Baby. No wonder poor Brooke needs medication now that she's a mother.

I had forgotten how bad that movie was, but that's how it is with me and bad movies. I either walk out, or block them out. Another terrible movie for me was Requiem for a Dream, which I can't believe I finished but I hoped it would have some resolution at the end. It was terrible.

And yet, I may be confusing horrifying material with bad acting. I think the performances in Requiem must have been pretty good, because they sure were convincingly disturbed. I think I was more embarrassed for myself for watching it, but I've been sucked into a few things I shouldn't watch on IFC.

I have to think about classics that were embarrassing, but off the top I agree with the W & W comedies. They just make me itchy.
B
CinemaInternational

Re: Oh, the Shame of It

Post by CinemaInternational »

Just a few off the top of my mind that really made me feel bad for the poor cast:

Harry and Walter Go to New York
Skidoo
Hurry, Sundown
Lucky Lady
A Place for Lovers
The House of the Spirits
The Oscar
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Blame It on Rio
Under the Rainbow
Ghost Story
Home for the Holidays
The Swarm
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

I was surprised how bad Blame it on Rio was given the casting of Caine and Bologna. The film came out less than 2 years after My Favorite Year, a film I believe Bologna should have received an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor. Now that film is funny, cute and just all around great, and it was the first film directed by Richard Benjamin. Peter O'Toole was nominated for best actor for My Favorite Year.

But Blame it on Rio, directed by Stanley Donen is a dud on all levels.
CinemaInternational

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 18th, 2024, 3:29 pm I was surprised how bad Blame it on Rio was given the casting of Caine and Bologna.

Oh, it is dreadful, on practically every level. Michael Caine actually looks embarrassed to be on screen the whole time of the film. I felt his pain. Bolonga was given a hopeless, thankless role to play. And also, it was queasy to have Michelle Johnson topless for long sections of the film given that she was only 17 when they were filming. The only bright moment in the whole farrago was one amusing line for Valerie Harper. But one line does not a movie make.
laffite

Post by laffite »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 18th, 2024, 3:39 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 18th, 2024, 3:29 pm I was surprised how bad Blame it on Rio was given the casting of Caine and Bologna.

Oh, it is dreadful, on practically every level. Michael Caine actually looks embarrassed to be on screen the whole time of the film. I felt his pain. Bolonga was given a hopeless, thankless role to play. And also, it was queasy to have Michelle Johnson topless for long sections of the film given that she was only 17 when they were filming. The only bright moment in the whole farrago was one amusing line for Valerie Harper. But one line does not a movie make.
!
Mona
CinemaInternational

laffite wrote: January 18th, 2024, 4:34 pm

!
Is the word in my post boldened because it is a word that does not appear in general every day conversation, or is it for a different reason?
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

laffite

Post by laffite »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 18th, 2024, 4:57 pm
laffite wrote: January 18th, 2024, 4:34 pm

!
Is the word in my post boldened because it is a word that does not appear in general every day conversation, or is it for a different reason?
The former, a fine use of the word. I had to look it up. A good word for lots of films, I'm sure.
Mona