Monty, the new Ryder Cup Captain for Europe, not Sandy

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Monty, the new Ryder Cup Captain for Europe, not Sandy

Post by stuart.uk »

I must admit I was slightly disappointed in the appointment of Scot's golfer Colin Montgomerie as Europe's new Ryder Cup Captain. It's not that I don't think he'll do a great job, I think he will, but I have two reasons for thinking it shouldn't be him.

The first is that in his early 40s, it's quite possible Monty will recapture the form that turned him into argueably the greatest player in the history of golf never to have won any of the four Majors. So it could potentially be embarrassing if at the time of selection, Monty's one of the best players in the world again and unavailable for the team. Another reason for the appointment it's been suggested, because he's not all that popular in America that it would have been a bad appointment for him to be Captain when the Ryder Cup comes back to the U.S. It's strongly predicted that Spaniard Jose Marie Olazabel will be wearing the Captain's armband in the U.S in four yrs time.

However, I understand the reasons for Monty's appointment. He's not much older than most of the players and as he's a regular player on both the European and U.S tours, he still has close contact with the guys who'll be involved.

However, I was hoping the Captain's armband would have been given to the hugely popular Scot Sandy Lyle, winner of both The British Open and The U.S Masters in the mid 80s. Sandy is the only one of Europe's big five of the 80s (Seve, Langer, Woosnam and Faldo) not to have been given the job. It was now or never for Sandy, because of his age (51) and the younger contenders that will be around in the future. It's been suggested that in the last Ryder Cup Nick Faldo was to old and was out of touch with his players, so they didn't want to potentially make the same mistake with Lyle. I think this a disservice to the winning American team, who just played the better golf over the period of the week
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Stuart,

I agree that Monty is the best golfer never to have won a major. Maybe in an administrative capacity as captain of the Ryder Cup team, his real talents will come out. He's a superb strategist but has the uncanny habit of choking on Sunday and coughing up the lead. Let's face it, he's no Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus.

As always,

Hollis