Mary Astor

drednm

Re: Mary Astor

Post by drednm »

laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:09 pm
drednm wrote: January 13th, 2023, 8:56 pm I have two of Mary Astor's first films, which were filmed in Maine in 1921. She was 15 years ago and starred in Brother of the Bear, which was her film debut) and My Lady o' the PInes. The former was filmed about 5 miles from where I live at the Belgrade Hotel on Long Pond. The hotel was one of those massive summer hotels with a veranda facing the lake. It burned down in the 1950s. Even at 15, Mary Astor had screen presence.
How do you have these films, please. Not DVD assuredly, but I hope yes. VHS? Did she get screen time? Those would be fascinating to see. Thanks.
I released these as extras on my projects but since then I've gotten new scans so they have better video quality. Mary is the leading lady of both films.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

A fitting coda to Mary Astor's career was her magnificent performance in the supporting role of Jewel Mayhew in Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964).

laffite

Post by laffite »

A fitting Prelude with the talkies (with other fitting preludes) as Lily Kulper in Other Men's women (1931) seen here with co-star Grant Withers.

Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
drednm

Post by drednm »

Here's 15-year-old Mary Astor in front of the old Belgrade Hotel in Brother of the Bear (1921), her film debut. This is about 5 miles from where I live. The hotel burned to the ground in the 1950s.

jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

drednm wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:03 pm
laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:09 pm
drednm wrote: January 13th, 2023, 8:56 pm I have two of Mary Astor's first films, which were filmed in Maine in 1921. She was 15 years ago and starred in Brother of the Bear, which was her film debut) and My Lady o' the PInes. The former was filmed about 5 miles from where I live at the Belgrade Hotel on Long Pond. The hotel was one of those massive summer hotels with a veranda facing the lake. It burned down in the 1950s. Even at 15, Mary Astor had screen presence.
How do you have these films, please. Not DVD assuredly, but I hope yes. VHS? Did she get screen time? Those would be fascinating to see. Thanks.
I released these as extras on my projects but since then I've gotten new scans so they have better video quality. Mary is the leading lady of both films.
Could TCM show these films? I assume they are in the public domain. It would be great if TCM and you could make a deal. You deserve to be compensated for helping preserve these historic films.
drednm

Post by drednm »

I believe TCM is broke. I've been unable to interest them in any projects for a while now. Whatever budget they have to license new films seems to be going to pet projects of various hosts and "event" things like the National Registry of Films. But this is just my opinion.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-20preview/

Many films are projected 35mm with a carbon arc light-amazing!
I'll be attending each day, but always miss the evenings, going home bleary-eyed at dinnertime.
laffite

Post by laffite »

TikiSoo wrote: February 8th, 2023, 8:04 am Image

https://www.romecapitol.com/capitolfest-20preview/

Many films are projected 35mm with a carbon arc light-amazing!
I'll be attending each day, but always miss the evenings, going home bleary-eyed at dinnertime.
Interesting and what an adventure to see these films. Is 35mm relative to the actual size of the screen? How big is the screen, then? Looking forward to your comments on the movies.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

It's a historic movie palace. Screen size depends on where you sit ;-)

laffite

Post by laffite »

Nice dodge. That's some screen. So interactive too!

Whatever.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

laffite wrote: February 8th, 2023, 3:44 pm Nice dodge. That's some screen. So interactive too!
Whatever.
I don't understand what you're saying. I did just notice the theater organ all lit up on the stage, that should give you an idea of size.

Film is more dimensional than digital and when using a bright, high quality projector, the picture can look even more "real" and less flat. You notice it more when there's a change in media/projectors during a film festival.
laffite

Post by laffite »

TikiSoo wrote: February 9th, 2023, 7:16 am
laffite wrote: February 8th, 2023, 3:44 pm Nice dodge. That's some screen. So interactive too!
Whatever.
I don't understand what you're saying. I did just notice the theater organ all lit up on the stage, that should give you an idea of size.

Film is more dimensional than digital and when using a bright, high quality projector, the picture can look even more "real" and less flat. You notice it more when there's a change in media/projectors during a film festival.
Okay
laffite

Post by laffite »

drednm

Post by drednm »

I've placed two Mary Astor silent films with Capitolfest for their August tribute to Astor. Both 2-reel films were shot in Augusta, Maine in 1921. Brother of the Bear and My Lady o' the Pines star the 15-year-old Astor in her first films ... in starring roles
laffite

Post by laffite »

drednm wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 8:22 am I've placed two Mary Astor silent films with Capitolfest for their August tribute to Astor. Both 2-reel films were shot in Augusta, Maine in 1921. Brother of the Bear and My Lady o' the Pines star the 15-year-old Astor in her first films ... in starring roles
I rarely spend extra money for movies, I just use what my subscription offer ; but I would spend money for these, if they were only available. I checked Amazon, but no. My Lady o' the Pines, what a lovely title. Is Mary the eponymous one? O my, this is on my bucket list.