Just Me ?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ken123

Just Me ?

Post by ken123 »

Maybe I'm becoming a " crabby old man " but the films on TCM, since the start of the new year have been below par, with IMHO too may quick repeats ? :?
markfp

Re: Just Me ?

Post by markfp »

Ken, you can be a "crabby old man", I am too sometimes. As for films being below par, I think that's a subjective thing. You may think so and somebody else won't. Who's gonna say which one right?

Regarding repeats, there's been a lot of discussion about that over on the TCM boards. It appears that TCM is showing more repeats, than in the past , as a cost cutting thing. It's always cheaper to show repeats instead films they haven't shown before. We all know that the economy is in the toilet and TCM's parent company, Time-Warner, is doing pretty badly ,so it's highly likely TCM has been told to tighten its belt when it comes to programming costs.

Overall, I think they've been doing a pretty good job of balancing more repeats with some premiers to keep things interesting. We may all not like it, but I think we'll just have to put up with it until better times.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I haven't noticed more repeats than usual but I will say I thought this year's "31 Days of Oscar" much better than any previous ones.

Ken, I do hope you will at least tune in for the repeats the week of April 13th. :mrgreen: .
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I'm wondering just how many viewers will be in the mood for "Double Indemnity" when I appear with Robert Osborne to present the film on April 15th?
It was already shown on March 13th, and will be repeated on March 24th. Yikes!
Joseph Goodheart
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Joe,

Not to worry. You know lots of folks here will be watching and by the time the TCM Promo department is done with their part, I imagine you will have many, many viewers watching you talk about Double Indemnity.

I'll be watching for sure!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

markfp

Post by markfp »

mongoII wrote:I'm wondering just how many viewers will be in the mood for "Double Indemnity" when I appear with Robert Osborne to present the film on April 15th?
If I see that stinkin' movie one more time I'll puke. :D :D :D

JUST KIDDiNG! I for one wouldn't miss it for the world I'm sure all of you guys and gals will make the rest of us proud.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm avoiding the other broadcasts just to watch you and your socks.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

markfp wrote:
mongoII wrote:I'm wondering just how many viewers will be in the mood for "Double Indemnity" when I appear with Robert Osborne to present the film on April 15th?
If I see that stinkin' movie one more time I'll puke. :D :D :D
HAWWWW! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Betcha Joe did a spit-take with his java when he saw that!!!
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thanks guys. I almost did do a spit take with my java (decaf). Ironically, I have not worn a pair of socks since I finished the interview in November. Here in Florida it's the thing to do (or not do).
Unfortunately I believe they stopped the cameras during the sock incident.
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Don't worry Miss Goddess, April 15th is a wonderful day, it's my birthday. I'm sure plenty people will tune in, I would if I was in the US, hope it goes well for you.

PS Nothing bad has ever happened on my birthday.

The Titanic Sank
Abraham Lincoln was assissinated
USA bombs Libya
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We'll just have to remember to put up reminders when that week comes.

Alison:

April 15 is the day in the U.S. that we will have had to file our income tax. So technically, here, every year April 15 is a bad day. At least we'll have something else to celebrate.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Don't worry Miss Goddess, April 15th is a wonderful day, it's my birthday. I'm sure plenty people will tune in, I would if I was in the US, hope it goes well for you.

PS Nothing bad has ever happened on my birthday.

The Titanic Sank
Abraham Lincoln was assissinated
USA bombs Libya
How about April 14th? That's when my segment airs....(wipes forehead in relief).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Joe and I are the Fan Programmers on April 15th. I'm encouraging everyone I know to mail their taxes early so they have no excuses to miss us!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I'm another one who will be tuning in. Mainly to see the guest programmers, but because as usual, the last time DI was on, I fell asleep for the last 20 minutes.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Well I don't think the 14th is any better. The Titanic struck the iceberg on the 14th, so for the poor souls on the Titanic the 14th was the worse day of all, if it hadn't have struck the iceberg then the 15th would have been a great day :lol:

Would we be able to put a link on here for your segments so people who haven't got access to American TV will be able to share your moment :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin