The Warner Archive

News and Upcoming Releases
umop apisdn

Re: The Warner Archive

Post by umop apisdn »

Warner Archive is kicking off Warner Brothers 100th anniversary in style. After rebuilding their staff, they are now resuming their normal output of 4-5 releases per month.

January releases:
  • Rancho Notorious
  • Wife vs. Secretary
  • Goodbye Mr. Chips
  • Our Dancing Daughters
  • The Long, Long Trailer
Image Image Image
Image Image
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

umop apisdn wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:19 am Warner Archive is kicking off Warner Brothers 100th anniversary in style. After rebuilding their staff, they are now resuming their normal output of 4-5 releases per month.

January releases:
  • Rancho Notorious
  • Wife vs. Secretary
  • Goodbye Mr. Chips
  • Our Dancing Daughters
  • The Long, Long Trailer
Image Image Image
Image Image
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

New releases... March 7th

Other titles slated to be released, but unconfirmed at this point are:
  • Flamingo Road
  • Confessions Of A Nazi Spy
  • The Prince & The Showgirl
  • Neptune's Daughter
What a fantastic month!

ImageImage
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

April releases!

A Lion is in the Streets (1953)
One Way Passage (1932)
Safe in Hell (1931)
Storm Warning (1951)
The Strawberry Blonde (1941)

Image Image Image Image Image
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

umop apisdn wrote: March 17th, 2023, 8:24 am April releases!

A Lion is in the Streets (1953)
One Way Passage (1932)
Safe in Hell (1931)
Storm Warning (1951)
The Strawberry Blonde (1941)

Image Image Image Image Image
I'm excited about "Storm Warning" ! That was on my list of DVDs to get. I'm going to wait for the blu ray now. I already have "One Way Passage," "Safe in Hell," and "The Strawberry Blonde," so I'm not sure if I'm going to get the blu rays on those.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

speedracer5 wrote: March 17th, 2023, 10:46 am I'm excited about "Storm Warning" ! That was on my list of DVDs to get. I'm going to wait for the blu ray now. I already have "One Way Passage," "Safe in Hell," and "The Strawberry Blonde," so I'm not sure if I'm going to get the blu rays on those.
One Way Passage is the one I'm happy about. I hadn't bought a copy of it before on any format, so I'm happy with the Blu-ray release.
Watching until the end.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

The last batch of May Warner Archive releases was just announced today:

Nice mix! Glad to see that Warner Bros is committed to restorations.
  • King Solomon's Mines
  • Hey There, It's Yogi Bear
  • Queen Christina
  • The Courtship of Eddie's Father
  • The Boy with Green Hair
  • Clash by Night
  • Border Incident
  • Looney Tunes Collector's Choice: Volume 1
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I'm definitely getting the Looney Tunes set. I always love Bugs and the gang.

Queen Christina is awesome. I already have it though, not sure if I need to get the blu ray. I keep trying to watch "Clash by Night," and I should like it just for the cast, but I keep losing interest in it. Maybe I'm missing something. "Courtship of Eddie's Father" is amusing, especially the part when Ron Howard coaches father Glenn Ford how to call-up Shirley Jones. Ron plays the part of Shirley and calls Glenn "sugar man" during the fake phone call. That part always makes me laugh. But I don't think I need to own this film.

Warner Archive is knocking it out of the park lately with their blu ray releases. I hope they either re-release the DVDs I want on blu ray, or put the DVDs on sale occasionally. I miss the 4/$44 sale.

EDIT: Omg I looked and I actually do own "Courtship of Eddie's Father." Goes to show you how many movies I own, I don't even remember buying it. So apparently I thought I did need to own it at some point. I will change my statement and say that I don't need to upgrade "Courtship of Eddie's Father" to blu ray.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

speedracer5 wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 12:15 pm I'm definitely getting the Looney Tunes set. I always love Bugs and the gang.

Queen Christina is awesome. I already have it though, not sure if I need to get the blu ray. I keep trying to watch "Clash by Night," and I should like it just for the cast, but I keep losing interest in it. Maybe I'm missing something. "Courtship of Eddie's Father" is amusing, especially the part when Ron Howard coaches father Glenn Ford how to call-up Shirley Jones. Ron plays the part of Shirley and calls Glenn "sugar man" during the fake phone call. That part always makes me laugh. But I don't think I need to own this film.

Warner Archive is knocking it out of the park lately with their blu ray releases. I hope they either re-release the DVDs I want on blu ray, or put the DVDs on sale occasionally. I miss the 4/$44 sale.

EDIT: Omg I looked and I actually do own "Courtship of Eddie's Father." Goes to show you how many movies I own, I don't even remember buying it. So apparently I thought I did need to own it at some point. I will change my statement and say that I don't need to upgrade "Courtship of Eddie's Father" to blu ray.
I will also probably get the Looney Tunes set. I probably won't buy the other movies, but I am very happy that WAC is back up and working on restorations. That's more important to me than anything else. I am thrilled Warner Brothers teamed up with the Film Foundation for restoration work.

I do buy a few select films that I really love, whenever there is a good sale. Camille and Goodbye Mr. Chips are the only titles on my list right now.

I also miss the 4 for $44 sales, but I use MovieZyng's 4 for $49, which is not too bad. They are local to me in the Chicagoland, but they ship inside the USA.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

umop apisdn wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 3:45 pm
speedracer5 wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 12:15 pm I'm definitely getting the Looney Tunes set. I always love Bugs and the gang.

I will also probably get the Looney Tunes set. I probably won't buy the other movies, but I am very happy that WAC is back up and working on restorations. That's more important to me than anything else. I am thrilled Warner Brothers teamed up with the Film Foundation for restoration work.

I do buy a few select films that I really love, whenever there is a good sale. Camille and Goodbye Mr. Chips are the only titles on my list right now.

I also miss the 4 for $44 sales, but I use MovieZyng's 4 for $49, which is not too bad. They are local to me in the Chicagoland, but they ship inside the USA.
I've ordered from Movie Zyng for the last few 4/$49 sales. This last sale I got a whole bunch of titles. I wish though that they'd expand the sale beyond the blu rays. There are a ton of DVDs that I still want. I just picked up 3 of the double feature precode sets. I think 2 of the sets feature Dorothy MacKaill and 1 set features Loretta Young. I think there is another double feature set that features Joan Blondell that I want to get. I feel like I've exhausted WB's blu ray offerings, though I'm planning on picking up "Storm Warning" when that comes out.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

June releases!
  • Angel Face
  • Dangerous when Wet
  • The Old Man & the Sea
  • Land of the Pharaohs
  • The Damned Don't Cry
  • Caged

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Glad I'm not the only one still collecting DVDs. Talk to anyone in the music/movies store and they'll tell you DVD sales have plummeted to a trickle.

Generally, my beef with streamed movies is the picture quality/cropping/sound. That, and I often have to turn DVDs back because of dozing off.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

TikiSoo wrote: May 12th, 2023, 6:05 am Glad I'm not the only one still collecting DVDs. Talk to anyone in the music/movies store and they'll tell you DVD sales have plummeted to a trickle.

Generally, my beef with streamed movies is the picture quality/cropping/sound. That, and I often have to turn DVDs back because of dozing off.
Streaming is nowhere for collectors.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

TikiSoo wrote: May 12th, 2023, 6:05 am Glad I'm not the only one still collecting DVDs. Talk to anyone in the music/movies store and they'll tell you DVD sales have plummeted to a trickle.

I do like DVDs and have a lotof them, and don't consider them passe, but I have been using streaming a lot for films that I otherwise have no access to ( silent films, rare classic era Paramount and Universal titles without home releases, various other oddities of decades past.) I would prefer discs but with some titles, there is no option, and well, money is tight these days. I do wish though that some streaming titles had better quality. The one for The Blue Veil was in abysmal shape.