Icons Radio, Anyone?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Icons Radio, Anyone?

Post by moira finnie »

As I am puttering around this Sunday listening to Catherine Wyler, the daughter of director William Wylertalk about the career of her father, it occurred to me that others might enjoy knowing about this program too.

Perhaps everyone who visits the SSO is familiar with this wonderful series of interviews by writer/ film historian John Mulholland and writer/producer Stephen Bogart called Icons Radio, found here.

You can access their past shows anytime here. The pair of interviewers have conducted a series of wide-ranging interviews with many different individuals, drawing from the descendants and biographers of many of the creative people who made the studio era a storytelling touchstone that we still return to in order to learn more. Mulholland, a producer, writer and director of documentaries, hosts the show with Stephen Bogart, who has been a producer at ESPN, a documentarian and a memoirist, is the son of Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart.

The credentials of these two is not something they flaunt on their program, but the strength of the show is their ability to allow in-depth discussion of the work of such people as William Wyler, the Warner Brothers, unjustly obscure directors such as Roy Rowland and the sons, daughters and grandchildren of directors, actors, writers and directors and occasionally the people themselves, who are given time to explain their own POV on the lives they lived and those that touched theirs. These guys rarely interrupt and the guests represent an extraordinary range of people over time. I hope you enjoy it.

Icons Radio:
http://iconsradio.com/home.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Re: Icons Radio, Anyone?

Post by MissGoddess »

I've tried to listen to several I just don't always have the time, but I love the show. It's a wonderful thing to have on while you're cleaning house! :D

The one with Pat Wayne was very enjoyable. I also listened to the one with Richard Burton's daughter and was saddened by her obliviousness to most of her father's greatest film work.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Wonderful! Thanks!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:I've tried to listen to several I just don't always have the time, but I love the show. It's a wonderful thing to have on while you're cleaning house! :D
That's exactly what I do too. Today I was ironing and mopping the floor while listening to the Catherine Wyler interview. It seems to make household chores fly by, like music! I'm glad that you liked it too, Ollie.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks