WILLIAM WELLMAN

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

WILLIAM WELLMAN

Post by feaito »

I searched repeatedly but I did not find any thread devoted to this larger-than-life Director.

If somebody had told me that I was going to create a thread devoted to him one month ago, I would not had believed it, especially because I scarcely create any threads at all :wink:

Today I watched two documentaries included in the Forbidden Hollywood Collection Volume Three: Wild Bill: Hollywood Maverick and The Man Who Made the Movies: William A. Wellman, both very informative and entertaining; especially interesting was to see the man actually reminiscing in the latter.

On the human side, to listen to his widow, the beautiful Dorothy Coonan and to his son Bill Wellman Jr. was very rewarding and enlightening. The man defintely had guts.

I did not know that his failed masterpiece "Lafayette Escadrille" (1958) was ruined by Warners, which imposed a happy ending -the original ending had Tab Hunter killed in a mission and his girlfriend committed suicide. But young audiences wouldn't had put up with that, Warners reasoned. I also did not know that Wellman wanted Clint Eastwood for the lead and not Hunter. Wellman ceased to make films after this highly disappointing experience.

Other interesting thing I did not know is that "Track of the Cat" (1954) was filmed as B&W film shot in Color! Only Mitchum's red coat and Dianna Lynn's -I think- yellow scarf or blouse broke this mold. This film was aired some months ago by Cinecanal Classics and I did not see it, now I lament it.

The documentary told everything about the making of The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), I film that I must see -it's a shame I haven't since I have it on DVD- and how Wellman had to agree to make two formula films for Fox in exchange of having the opportunity to film this masterpiece. One of them was "Buffallo Bill" (1944) one of his biggest moneymakers and a film he loathed!

"Yellow Sky" (1948) -another film on my pending list of DVDs to see- was also profiled and it seems to be very good. One of the films closest to this director's heart was "The Story of G.I. Joe" (1945), which he regards as one of his best. He tells in the interview that he thought that "Battleground" (1949) wasn't half as good, human and realistic as the aforementioned film.

Wellman reveals himself as a honest, down-to-earth, very humble man. I liked him a lot. He is also revealed as great woman's director, but of the type of woman epitomized by Barbara Stanwyck -one of my very, very favorite stars. There was a lot of insight in relation to the "Wellman woman" -Anne Baxter in Yellow Sky, Stanwyck in many of his films, the assorted female cast of Westward the Women et al.

Other of his films profusely profiled are -of course- "Nothing Sacred" (1937), "A Star is Born" (19379, "Wings" (1927) and "Public Enemy" (1931), plus "Wild Boys of the Road" (1933), "Heroes for Sale" (1933) and "Beau Geste" (1939).

I would have liked more information and insight on the films he made in the late twenties -ie: "Beggars of Life " (1928) and early thrities - i.e.: "Midnight Mary" (1933).

I'm eager with anticipation to watch most of the films included in this Pre-Code Collection and other films of this great man I have obtained and yet not watched: "The Light that Failed" (1939) and "Magic Town" (1947), for instance.

One final note: Wellman said that the film he enjoyed the most making was "Tarzan Escapes" (1936), of which he directed some scenes. He even asked Mayer or Mannix to direct the next Tarzan film, but they said it was assignment which was beneath his category. He regretted that!
charliechaplinfan

Re: WILLIAM WELLMAN

Post by charliechaplinfan »

He has a fantastic catalogue of films that he directed. From the silents I've seen Wings and Beggars of Life, I wish Beggars of Life would have an official release, from what I've seen it's a film that deserves it. Wellman directed some of the best of the precodes, I love Midnight Mary and Female. Public Enemy for me is the best gangster movie of the thirties. A change of tack for A Star Is Born which is a very different film to the 1954 version but equally as good, Nothing Sacred, a superb screwball comedy. The Light that Failed is another great movie but with a more serious vein. I've not seen any of his films after Lady of Burlesque, he is great Fernando, I agree with you.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday I saw two of the Pre-Code films included in The Forbidden Hollywood Collection Volume Three, devoted to William Wellman.

Firstly I watched “Other Men’s Women” (1930) which tells the story of two guys who work together in a train and whose friendship is ruined by one of them falling for his pal’s wife. Grant Withers (Loretta Young’s first husband) plays the ne’er-do-well single guy, who’s a womanizer, an irresponsible drunkard, permanently cavorting. Regis Toomey is the down-to-earth, responsible type; a man with a pretty wife (Mary Astor) and a beautiful home.

Notwithstanding its flaws I found the film quite rewarding and well done, and was pleased by Withers’ honest impersonation as the childish big guy who falls madly in love with his best friend’s wife. He really impressed me. Mary Astor is lovely as the lady torn in between passion and duty. Regis Toomey is fine as Withers’ loyal, good-natured friend, who takes him to live with him and his wife, unaware of the results of this venture.

Joan Blondell plays deftly –as usual- a floozie who’s after Withers and James Cagney an energetic fellow co-worker in the railroad.

Very fine programmer.

Secondly I saw “The Purchase Price” (1932), a film which has unfair bad reviews in many sources, including Homer Dickens’ book The Films of Barbara Stanwyck.

Stany, who’s been one of my favorite actresses since I was a boy, plays a nightclub entertainer who’s fed up with her life –and married lover Lyle Talbot- and ends up living unwittingly in a farm with the character impersonated by George Brent.

George Brent’s performance as a naïve, sort of shy farmer impressed my favorably, because it’s quite different from the kind of roles he usually played and in my opinion he succeeded at it; with that “surprised” look on his face. When he first meets Stanwyck and he’s permanently sniffling –because of a cold-, which deeply annoys Stanwyck, I giggled constantly.

The characters’ romantic relationship is very well handled by the director, who builds up an intense sexual tension between both of them.

There is a perfect balance between romance and action in this film and it succeeds in depicting with sincerity the building of the relationship between the two lead characters; I “bought” every inch of it and that’s a result of Stanwyck’s tremendous talent, Wellman’s handling of the story and of Brent’s good performance, who may have seemed wooden for some other reviewers, but which was right for me.

There are many vignettes in this good little movie: when Stanwyck aids a lady who just had a baby alone with her junior daughter (portrayed by Anne Shirley who 5 years later played Stanwyck’s daughter in “Stella Dallas” (1937)). That scene is full of human touches.

There are other beautiful scenes, like when Stanwyck and Brent are sowing the seeds together in the country and later harvesting the wheat.

Good film.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Love "Wild Bill" and he's one of the directors I'd like to have known in person, along with Ford, Hawks and Walsh. I always put him in that bunch. I'm very fond of most everythinig he did, but in my opinion the one film that is in most DIRE need of restoration and a wham bang "Criterion" type treatment is NOTHING SACRED. Easily one of gthe funniest and BEST comedies EVER MADE and stands up to anything done by CAPRA, McCAREY or even HAWKS. I frankly wish he'd done MORE comedy. He was Lombard's best director after Lubitsch (admittedly, she was good with most everyone once she hit her stride). This movie is also really bitey and stands up today in light of America's rabid celebrity mania run amok.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree with you April, he was a one-of-a-kind man. And I place in that category William Wyler too. Uncannily enough I'm currently reading Hawks' biography. As a sidenote, I did not know that the man was so good at telling tales!

And concerning "Nothing Sacred", you are completely right. There are so many bad PD copies of that film and not one worthy of this masterpiece. The same applies to Wellman's "A Star is Born".
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:Uncannily enough I'm currently reading Hawks' biography. As a sidenote, I did not know that the man was so good at telling tales!

Telling TALL tales. They may not all be true, but he sure could spin them out in a most entertaining fashion!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:He has a fantastic catalogue of films that he directed. From the silents I've seen Wings and Beggars of Life, I wish Beggars of Life would have an official release, from what I've seen it's a film that deserves it. Wellman directed some of the best of the precodes, I love Midnight Mary and Female. Public Enemy for me is the best gangster movie of the thirties. A change of tack for A Star Is Born which is a very different film to the 1954 version but equally as good, Nothing Sacred, a superb screwball comedy. The Light that Failed is another great movie but with a more serious vein. I've not seen any of his films after Lady of Burlesque, he is great Fernando, I agree with you.
"Beggars of Life" (1928) should be definitely better known, restored and released on DVD. For me it is a masterpiece and in some ways is even superior than "Wings" (1927)

"Public Enemy" is along with "Scarface", the best Gangster film of them all; much better than "Little Caesar" (1930).
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

We have to take a number of stories told by the likes of Capra, Wellman, Hawks, Ford, et al that are featured in The Men Who Made the Movies as well as some of Bogdanovich's early bios. These men knew how to tell a story and they weren't above embellishing it especially if it made them look better.

My personal favorite (embellishments and all) is Wild Bill. I have loved him since the first time I saw that segment back in the 1970s. He just seemed to really enjoy making movies, had no pretensions to his art and was happy with his life. I always liked him (based on the interview) more than Capra who seemed determined to take credit for everything that ever happened on his set. It could be that I am remembering wrong the actual interviews but my reaction after viewing the Capra piece was not positive to Capra and that has stayed with me. It did not help that his autobiography was just as self-serving as his interview.

Wild Bill and Hawks seemed to realize more than the others included in Men that while they were being appreciated for the auteur theory, they knew it was somewhat bunk because film making is a collaborative effort and those collaborators should get some of the glory.

I heart Wild Bill Wellman and his son, Bill Jr. and always have.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree with you Lynn, what I liked the most about William Wellman's interview was his unassuming personality. That's very rare among men in his position and that demonstrates how intelligent he was. I cannot stand self-serving people.

From what you tell Capra does not sound like my kind of person!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Capra came up on another thread, one about silent comedians. Capra takes credit for the creation of Harry Langdon's onscreen persona, even though he was making movies before Capra came along, Capra might have added a gloss but he takes full credit. This doesn't endear Capra to me, the man was a great director, why take credit where plainly isn't due.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I thought that others might be interested in a 1978 Scott Eyman interview with William A. Wellman that is featured here in Film Comment.

The spotlight falls on Wellman's work during this Month of Directors on June 17th, when the following are being shown (all times are EDT). Oh, for another glimpse of Heroes for Sale!

8:00 PM
The Men Who Made the Movies: William Wellman (2006)
Film clips and an exclusive interview capture the career of Hollywood's larger-than-life director William Wellman. C-58 mins, TV-14, CC

9:00 PM
The Public Enemy (1931)
An Irish-American street punk tries to make it big in the world of organized crime. Cast: James Cagney, Edward Woods, Jean Harlow. Dir: William A. Wellman. BW-84 mins, TV-PG, CC, DVS

10:30 PM
The Story of G.I. Joe (1945)
War correspondent Ernie Pyle joins an Army platoon during World War II to learn what battle is really about. Cast: Burgess Meredith, Robert Mitchum, Freddie Steele. Dir: William A. Wellman. BW-108 mins, TV-14

12:30 AM
Battleground (1949)
American soldiers in France fight to survive a Nazi siege just before the Battle of the Bulge. Cast: Van Johnson, John Hodiak, Ricardo Montalban. Dir: William A. Wellman. BW-119 mins, TV-PG, CC, DVS

2:45 AM
A Star Is Born (1937)
A fading matinee idol marries the young beginner he's shepherded to stardom. Cast: Janet Gaynor, Fredric March, Adolphe Menjou. Dir: William A. Wellman. C-111 mins, TV-G, CC

4:45 AM
Wild Boys of the Road (1933)
An impoverished girl masquerades as a boy to run with a gang of young hobos. Cast: Frankie Darro, Rochelle Hudson, Edwin Philips. Dir: William A. Wellman. BW-68 mins, TV-PG
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for posting the very enlightening interview Moira. I think I'm going to print it.
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Glad to see some Wellman discussion. During my obsession with pre-codes over the past couple years, Wellman's films have been a shining light, consistently energetic and engaging.

I admire Wellman for being able to work in every genre with skill, and also for being so prolific. It's incredible that his Warner's period from 1931-1933 included 18 films, and virtually all of them good (So Big! is a misfire). I'd love to see his early Paramount talkies.

Some of his less talked about films worth watching:

Safe In Hell - Seedy and salacious, Dorothy Mackaill stars as a woman on the run, who escapes to the tropics only to find she can't escape her past. Wonderfully atmospheric. Perhaps the biggest omission from the boxset, the source print is in pretty rough shape, and I expect that's why it wasn't included.

The Star Witness - Fascinating and nuanced depiction of a family held captive through gangland intimidation after they witness a murder. Walter Huston is grand as a hardnosed cop trying to convince the family to testify. There's some remarkably brutal sequences of the gangsters beating up the father and kidnapping a child. Wellman makes great use of sound in the climactic sequence as Slim Summerville wanders the streets searching for the kidnapped child, whistling an old civil war tune to attract the child's attention. Despite Summerville's eventual rant about people standing up to "dirty foreigners" the film presents the complexity of the snitch vs silence debate in a remarkable way for a 1931 film.

The Hatchet Man - Maybe my favorite Wellman (Beggars of Life and Heroes For Sale are in the running). Possibly his most atmospheric film, his depiction of Chinatown is so evocative, with sweeping camera movements and a rich, dense mise-en-scene worthy of von Sternberg. It's a fun story too with Edward G. Robinson as a dishonored Tong leader who must avenge the both his honor and his wife Loretta Young. Obviously the sight of Robinson and Young in yellow-face is a bizarre one, made doubly so in that they play there roles completely straight, losing all pretense of accent pretty early on. But the film is so rich and entertaining that the yellow-face does not distract.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for your valuable input Myrnaloyisdope!

I haven't seen any of the three films you mention and your description of each one of them definitely makes want to see them all ASAP.

BTW Safe in Hell is a film I've wanted to see ever since I read about it in Jerry Vermilye's book about films of the '30s.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Feaito, The Oxbow Incident is one of the greatest films I have ever seen. I normally don't like Westerns, but this is not just a Western. It could have happened at any place at any time. It is set in a rural setting to bring home the common man side of the tale, but his masterful direction made it universal. He brought to the screen a heart-wrenching denominator anyone, anywhere could relate to. It is so powerful that I have only been able to watch it twice. It bothers me so much, man's inhumanity to man, that I can't shake it. The mere mention of the film brings to mind all the tormenting scenes and the final "justice" so unnecessary.