John Wayne, Lest We Forget

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: John Wayne, Lest We Forget

Post by pvitari »

Miss Goddess, I posted at the bottom of the cover photo a link to an online site where you can order it -- here it is again:

http://horsebooksetc.com/products/Legen ... 67-71.html

I've ordered from them and they are very reliable.

JackFavell, much as I love John Wayne... as far as I'm concerned they could have put Ben on the cover. ;) Or better yet, how about a shot of Ben and Duke together? That just about covers everything -- movie glamour and real life authenticity. ;)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Paula, I'll bookmark that link.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I got the chance earlier today to zip up to the Fletcher-Sinclair mansion, a beautiful building on the corner of 5th Avenue and E. 79th Street, to peep at some of the items that will be going up for auction next month benefitting the John Wayne Cancer Institute. As an unexpected bonus, I met Patrick and Ethan Wayne who were both very gracious and kind. Their sister Marisa was also on hand along with some neices and nephews. All nice, down to earth...in short, well done, Duke!

If you're interested, you can see some snapshots I took of the many goodies here at my website: http://www.directedbyjohnford.com/blog/ ... -new-york/

The viewing ends tomorrow and the auction is set for October 6 & 7th. Lynn, I highly recommend you attend if you can...all the items will be on view for you in L.A.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Incredible website, MissG! And incredible photos of the incredible collection. How petite did you feel standing next to Ethan and Patrick? They are both so gorgeous, and it's nice to hear they are just as down to earth as their dad.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Wendy. I wasn't wasting a second asking for a picture, ha haa! I'm even wearing heels, if you can believe it. Patrick is a few inches the taller one and seems to favor his father a little more in his features, but Ethan had a tad warmer and more flirtatious manner, so of course he's the one I liked the most. :D :D Though I didn't get a chance to talk to them, I could see their sister and neices were just as nice and friendly...smiling and welcoming everyone that came. If people had known they were going to be there, it would have been packed I'm sure. As it was, there just a few people coming in and out, which is why it was easy to talk for an extended time. It was a total surprise, and showed how much personal interest they take in this whole thing. Oh, and I got to chatting with one of the guys in charge of the exhibits for Heritage, a really sweet man from Dallas and I asked him if he was a fan of Wayne's movies. He said he'd of course grown up seeing a couple, but that he was more raised on Eastwood. However, he said after travelling with this exhibit to Dallas and here in NYC (and then on to L.A.) after it's all over he wants to sit down and watch a bunch of Wayne's movies. I told him to start with the Fords, especially The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Here's a short video by the BBC taken Friday night at the reception that I missed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15048617
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Great selections, Goddess. It would be great to have a new fan at the auction house.

I got chills watching that video - looking at photos on the Heritage website is one thing, but seeing it all together in one place like that, where you can look right at his amazing life story in film artifacts, well.... it blows my mind.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

MsG,

How cool that you got to meet both Patrick and Ethan! I am so jealous!!!!

I will definitely try to see the exhibit.

I love your blog by the way!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Lynn...I hope you get to meet them, too, in L.A. They seem to want to meet the fans of their Dad. Be sure to tell them about your father and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, I know they'd find that touching.
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Miss Goddess ... You AVATAR is very cool ... what that thing (I know it is a pass of something) but, I am very curious about it and could you clue me in on this? Thanks.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

:D Hi kingme, you're sweet to notice my silly new avatar. It's the shirt John Wayne wore as "Tom Doniphon" in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. It was on display at an auction viewing so I took a picture of it since he's my favorite western movie character. The card around the neck is to identify the item, it's a publicity still photo from the movie.
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for sharing that information! That's so 8) to know! That's one of my favorite John Wayne movies.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I just wanted to tell you how much I love all the stunning pix you have in your thread on Rita, kingme. She was truly one of the most beautiful women ever, EVER. Her hands mesmerize me...I never saw a woman with more lovely looking hands. Keep up the good work!
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MissGoddess wrote:I just wanted to tell you how much I love all the stunning pix you have in your thread on Rita, kingme. She was truly one of the most beautiful women ever, EVER. Her hands mesmerize me...I never saw a woman with more lovely looking hands. Keep up the good work!
You gave me food for thought!
Tuesday will be a stunner!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What am I doing here in John Wayne territory? I'm asking myself that very same thing.

If you're a classic film fan...you've no doubt, bumped into some John Wayne films. I've seen some of many of Wayne's films...and a few of them all the way through. I saw them b'cuz I had to for college...or needed to for credibility. I'm not the biggest fan of his, but in recent years I've come to respect his under-rated talent as an actor. ("THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE" "RED RIVER" "TALL IN THE SADDLE" "REAP THE WILD WIND." Movies that you all know so well, but that have just recently struck me, and made me say..."Hey wait a minute.") And I fully cerebrally recognize he is an icon among icons of screen legends. I read Miss Goddess' account of her seeing the exhibit of John Wayne's effects, here in NYC this weekend. So I thought to myself this morning..."T., would it kill me to walk down Fifth Avenue to this mansion to see what all the hubbub is about?"

So I did.

A funny thing happened on the way to my change of heart. With celluloid you're once removed. There was something about seeing his shirts...and chaps...and boots...and hats (cowboy or military) and trophies...and awards...and accolades that caught me off guard. He was real. I know, I know..."Duh?! Reaaaaally, CineMaven?" This was a real person...not a figment of our collective imagination.

WHO CAN FILL THESE BOOTS. . .NO ONE

I'm just as much shocked about my feelings as you might be reading about this, if you are reading this. I kind of ached to touch his saddle, his shirt. I didn't dare, of course. But SEEING his things there was very much a "WoW!" experience. It was like seeing Marilyn's actual red "NIAGARA" jacket at the "MOGULS" exhibit or waiting on line forever to see the things collected from King Tut's tomb when the Met had that exhibit so many years ago. I wound up leaving the John Wayne exhibit buying the Heritage Auctions dvd "The Personal Property of John Wayne." I had no intention of doing that, but as I watched some of it on the tv there...I dunno...I felt I had to. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Some lucky people will be bidding and owning some of his things.

If you're a classic film fan...you've no doubt, bumped into some John Wayne films. Guess it's about time I properly sat down with him.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com