Errol Flynn

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: Errol Flynn

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Lucky you, I wish you'd have met him when you were older too.

I'm going to reclaim part of this thread for Errol Flynn, I've read almost half of Nora Eddington Flynn's book on Errol and I now realise it wasn't just in looks that he was as potent as could be, he was the whole package, handsome, clever, well read, well travelled, charismatic absolutely deadly to 99 percent of the female population.

I'd always thought that Nora had fallen for Errol whilst she was working at the cigarette kiosk of the court were he was appearing for statutory rape, all is not that simple, he had a friend go and chat to her every day and gain her confidence only later did he introduce himself and he was utterly charming with her, took things very slowly with her and she was ever so innocent and shy with him, how refreshing she must have been. He employed her as a secretary when her work was taking her from him, he did all the groundwork, asking her mother's permission whilst leaving trails of his other women's things on display, forgottem about, he hated jealous women and Nora tried not to be. The only shadow was the frankness in which she talked about losing her virginity. Despite this, his abject shame and endless apologies she forgave him and decided to become his lover, she knew that to have him she would have to share him but she did spend all the working week with him and most of the weekend. Then she got pregnant and trustingly signed an agreement that meant that Flynn would marry her and was delighted at the prospect of being a father again and then he would divorce her straight after with $75 dollars a week only for the baby, that's where I had to put the book down.

Both parties come across as utterly charming, in different ways and despite the misunderstanding they had there doesn't seem to be any malice or meaness in Flynn and no self destruct yet, perhaps Nora hadn't been allowed to see it. I can't wait to pick it up again, unlike some books written about celebrity spouses it has a kindness about it.

I never realised how maginificient Mulholland Farm was, now I'm going to have to get both Rory's book and the book on Mulholland Drive when I get some funds as our library doesn't carry them.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on July 10th, 2012, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Today, July 10th, is the day to have your DVR or your schedule arranged properly at 4PM (ET) if you would like to catch one of Errol Flynn's most intriguing later efforts. Errol portrays his friend and erstwhile mentor, John Barrymore opposite Dorothy Malone as his daughter, Diana in Too Much, Too Soon (1958). Look for two of the '50s most ubiquitous actors on the sidelnes as slickmeister Ray Danton and suave Efrem Zimbalist Jr. portray two of the other men in Miss Barrymore's tortured life:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

This is one I've been wanting to catch for ages. I've been steadily getting through Nora's book, their story is no surprise but such a shame and still I haven't finished. He won't lose a fan, I've known for so long that this angel is tarnished.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Well, did anyone see Flynn do Barrymore? Would love to hear some impressions. Alas, I wasn't able to catch it.

Someday, I'll have that one and Douglas Fairbanks in the talkie, The Private Life of Don Juan.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Been wanting to see this film for a long time. IMO no one could have portrayed the dissipated Barrymore better than Flynn. Really at that point in his career would have been nice to see him get an Oscar nod. I'm a HUGE Flynn fan but completely believed him as Barrymore - forgetting Errol in his earlier incarnations as Captain Blood or Robin Hood. Darn it, it was almost autobiographical to Flynn himself at that stage of his life.

However, I did find the picture extremely depressing. Had that "Baby Jane" decaying atmosphere about it. Marty Milner provided much-needed and appreciated relief from the dire surroundings, but he's essentially framework. And Ray Danton . . . probably the most hateful character since Richard Conte's louse-ful rotten turn in "I'll Cry Tomorrow".

Glad I finally watched it but doubt I'll take another looksee.
charliechaplinfan

I've wanted to watch this for the longest time and thanks to a friend I was able to and for once at the same time as you guys.

I felt such a sadness for all the artists who lost their battles with their private demons, Errol Flynn, Jack Barrymore, Jack Gilbert etc, so much talent I just felt so sad for all of them whilst watching this film of self destruction.

I always said Errol Flynn was a darn fine actor but too good looking to be taken seriously, yet I was floored by his performance as Barrymore. Watching this film after reading most of Nora's book about Errol is quite spooky, I hadn't realised quite how much in the grip of substance abuse Errol was and that was ten years before this movie, I don't know if he ever broke free of narcotics but booze remained a constant companion to him. From the moment he steps onto the screen, he dominates although I'm not sure if he dominates as Jack or as Errol, he's too physically imposing to look like Jack but everything else is right, he is tremendous, despite the tragedy of his character he adds humour, whether reciting Shakespeare and falling backwards off a boat, quite a feat to pull off without hurting oneself, especially if doing it sober. I don't know whether I was more heartbroken when he deserted Diana to swim off with his friends or when she walked out on him and what he says to her, too little, too late. I didn't realise either that there would be no concilliation between them, that that was their parting. All I know is I had a hankering for the talent of both men and it felt right that one was playing the other but also quite spooky. At this point Errol would have less than 2 years to live and perhaps he knew that, perhaps when he played Jack's final scenes he could see something like that for himself. He didn't hold back in his scenes either, the one were he's restrained which is quite a warts and all portrayal and the one when he talks to Michael after he's had a drink. I was really touched by his performance, he reminded me of an elderly lion, past his best but still imposing and handsome and being allowed to show the quality of actor he was. Devastating but brilliant.

Can anyone tell me, was anyone else considered to play Jack Barrymore? Jack Warner must surely have foreseen the risk yet he had uncanny instincts and to trust Errol again after so long. I hope Errol lived long enough to feel the acclaim that came from this performance.

As for the rest of the movie, I thought it dipped when Flynn exited the stage and like Stone I thought it was unremittingly depressing, I'd rather it had stopped at the death of Jack. I thought Neva Patterson was great as Michael Strange. Is it true that Jack loved Michael above all? I thought after reading Gene Fowler's book that if anyone it was Dolores. Dorothy Malone was very good as Diana, it's a cracking role for an actress to play, yet even she was playing in the shadow of the great John Barrymore, just like Diana was. It seems to suggest that Diana would have had a fine life if Michael and Jack had bothered about her, I'm no pyschologist but it's ironic when Jack says it's not in the blood.

Diana who couldn't act like her Dad or hold her liquor quite like him. Does anyone know how true the film was about her life? Was she really that bad an actress or just terribly undisciplined. I read on the imdb it doesn't say how she died, presumably she sunk back into alcohol. Did Hollywood play around with the gist of the book to get a better movie?

And finally, ironically for all his chronic alcoholism John Barrymore lived longer than Errol Flynn.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well, I agree with both of you, the movie was depressing. You said it right, Stone, very Baby Jane-ish, but Flynn was outstanding. I thought he was exactly as you say, Alison, like a lion beyond his prime, completely dominating the screen. I couldn't take my eyes off of him, and I felt he was grand, part Barrymore impersonator, since he knew him, and part autobiography. There were some mellow moments that did remind me of JB, and others, like that heart wrenching call to Michael, where it seemed purely Errol's deluded pain. I am ALWAYS in favor of a movie that gives Neva Patterson a juicy role. She was extremely good, they cast the film perfectly, you could see the bitterness, the love and also the fact that those two could never have made a go of it -they were completely different types from the start. I LOVED that speech about cutting the grass.

I too wondered whether Michael was the love of his life? I can't remember what Fowler said, it's been too long since I read it. If anyone has not read Gene Fowler's Good Night Sweet Prince, then I highly highly recommend it, it's one of the top two biographies I have ever read.

Dorothy Malone did a fantastic job, but again the movie was just so very depressing, not a fun exploitive movie by any means.

I found myself feeling bad for Diana as the script insisted she was terrible. I mean, she was still living when the movie came out! Was she really terrible, or just walking in big footsteps without a net, to mix metaphors? She was young, and had to show every faliure in public. I have always read that she was undisciplined and then by the time she might have had a chance to really come into her own, doing a talk show, she was addicted. I think she died a year after this movie was made. I'd be curious to read the book she wrote, which the movie was based on. Has anyone read it?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Of course the saddest part of this movie - the true tragedy - was that Errol followed suit. Terrific acting, yes, but what Errol portrayed he was also living.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, it's hard to get away from that fact, still I'm glad I watched it.

Errol, whether or not it was a true picture of him or a representation of Barrymore, and despite any addictions at the time, did a really great acting job.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is the best acting of Flynn's career. I enjoy the swashbucklers, the westerns. But this is a more substantial role, and he handles it well. I like the movie...some. It doesn't depress me so much as fail to excite. It's an interesting story. I recommend it. Just don't expect too much.

I've heard wonderful things about GOODNIGHT, SWEET PRINCE. Haven't read it.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Absolutely RedRiver. This is one film where even Flynn detractors would have to admit that Errol could act. Again, painful to watch since it does mirror Flynn's own personal decline, but still a startingly effective performance.
charliechaplinfan

I read Goodnight Sweet Prince and remember Michael coming across as aloof and strange, they married only because if Diana and by this time I think they were coming apart. Michael had his best years and she sounds very original, not your average woman. From what I've read I thought Neva got her down so well. Michael comes across as a well balanced, clear cut individual who can seperate her feelings for her ex spouse and daughter and remove her self from the damage of their drunken behaviour, of course the suggestion is that she was as much to blame as Jack was for Diana's neediness.

For me the movie died a bit when Jack died, the first half of the movie was a great movie because of the scenes between Flynn and Malone, Flynn was great as Barrymore but Malone was good as the daughter who craves her Daddy's attention, their scenes together are very emotional and they both are well cast.

I've finished Nora Eddington's book on Errol Flynn this afternoon, the first half was almost a fairytale romance between a young cigarette girl and a famous movie star, he loved her, of that I'm pretty sure, more than any other woman in his life but he was unravelling even then and he ultimately destroyed that which was so important to him, his marriage and family. So sad but still a favourite.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hey Alison, agree with you completely about the movie kinda falling apart after the death of Flynn's character. Felt the same with "The Last Picture Show" after Ben Johnson's character departs the scene.
charliechaplinfan

I haven't watched The Last Picture Show yet. I'm glad I finally got to watch Too Much Too Soon, I really had wanted to watch it for the longest time and wasn't dissappointed with Errol's part in it. I like Dorothy Malone too although I haven't seen her in too many films.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Interesting story about Dorothy Malone. Some years back she came to Winnipeg to appear in a dinner theater production. She didn't leave our city with fond memories as her hotel suite was broken into during her stay and a lot of her belongings were stolen.

Good actress. Catch her as Cleva (Creighton) Chaney opposite Jimmy Cagney in "Man of a Thousand Faces". Tremendous performance!