Summer Under The Stars

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jdb1

Re: Summer Under The Stars

Post by jdb1 »

I don't think I've seen Bros. Karamazov in at least 30 years. I wonder if I'd be able to sit through it. When I first read the book, in high school, I thought it was the greatest piece of literature - ever. When I read it again about 20 years later, I hated it, and I thought the brothers were the biggest bunch of self-absorbed whiners and kvetchers - ever. Is this really a "filmable" book?

Funny, but the only thing I really remember about the movie now is how slim Shatner was. Maybe I should just keep that memory, and skip the movie.

You know, now that I think of it, it seems to me that when I was a girl I often confused Sterling Hayden and Robert Ryan. What do you all think?
klondike

Post by klondike »

Well, I think (thick, tousled hair notwithstanding), the hidden source of your cross-identity with those two might be something as subtle as a regional inflection of voice.
Although Ryan's timbre was much softer than Hayden's, and his vocal expression more mediated, both were clearly New Hampshirites by speech, Ryan from having attended Dartmouth University for 4 years, Hayden by being born in the Granite State, and spending his younger childhood there (as did I).
[And yes, Judith, I am following you around this afternoon, all over the Boards!]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, Klonny, I see it -- there is a similarity of speech between the two gentlemen. Also, in many cases a similarity of roles played, which may have added to my confusion. Also a similarity of body languge. Also a similarity of comeliness.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I enjoyed a few of the movies from Frank Sinatra's day. Did anyone else see Never So Few? It was new to me and I couldn't believe the lineup of stars. Steve McQueen, ultracool as usual. Gina Lollabrigida in about 100 different wiggle dresses. And I had to look it up on IMDB to name Dean Jones - who was a little out of place in my mind in the army.