Conspiracies against Alison

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Ollie

Conspiracies against Alison

Post by Ollie »

Since CCFan is hopefully unable to have Internet access and can't 'get me', I'm going to think of ways to inundate her with more stuff she's just gotta watch.

In the SUMMER UNDER STARS thread, I wondered if a favorite Barney Fife episode was connected to Glenn Ford's THE UNDERCOVER MAN, or was it some other Glenn Ford-as-cop film. Birdy was going to offer her guess on this - there may not be a correct answer, as a matter of fact.

Many months ago, I'd sent Alison a small collection of I LOVE LUCY episodes which matched her against film stars. The William Holden episode. The John Wayne cement footsteps. Charles Boyer who wasn't "French enough" so Lucy had to give him Boyer lessons. The Richard Widmark lions-rug episode. And if the Holden episode isn't my favorite, then the Elsa Lanchester picks up hitchhiking Lucy & Ethel is, where they suspect each other is the radio's mass-murdering woman.

Alison wasn't too familiar with these, and I started wondering if she was familiar with The Andy Griffith Show. Ah, now the conspiracy starts! I would definitely include many of the best Barney episodes. The Otis Gets A Car episode with Barney insisting on a model-car driving lesson. "Beep beep, outta the way, Roadhog!" The Mr. McBeevee (sp?) episode. Loaded goats. Dogs & Giraffes, which is the State inspector episodes. The first one with the escaped convict taking off in the leaking boat.

So, the conspiracy might sound like, "If you were going to introduce the American Rural Humor TV Shows to a non-North American, would you consider The Andy Griffith Show as the best of that? And if so, could you name 5 or 10 or 20 episodes for such a Best Of collection?"

Of course, once Alison gets back, I'm hoping the Admins can delete this thread or else I'm going to have to blame all of this on MissG, Theresa and whatever other Usual Suspects I can think of. ChiO... Ark... (maybe JackFavell - Wendy doesn't write too much here - I might be able to blame ALL of this on her and she'd never know the difference! Shhhhh... not a word to her...)

I should get STUART UK in here and see if he'd guess about a typical Brit's common access to The Andy Griffith Show from the early '60s.
Last edited by Ollie on August 11th, 2009, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Re: Conspiracies against Alison

Post by knitwit45 »

How about the pilot for The Beverly Hillbillies? It has a small role played by ROBERT OSBORNE......
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

KW, thanks for the heads up and this IS an interesting episode to throw her way.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I have watched a few of the I Love Lucy episodes, I started a thread when you were away Ollie. I loved the John Wayne episode, in fact I was taken aback that the great man would consent to appear in a television show. Shows how good Lucy was. Love the Beverly Hillbillies :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Random thought - but the long-running BBC series Last of the Summer Wine strikes me as a near mirror-twin of the American rural sitcoms that featured a large cast of eccentric characters, especially The Andy Griffith Show (also perhaps Petticoat Junction). I don't think it's quite like Beverly Hillbillies or Green Acres, though-those shows were more farcical and hinged on miscommunication - and I'm not sure I could name a British equivalent for those.

As a test for her tolerance of this kind of thing, I'd suggest Hee Haw.

-S.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The Green Green Grass, was a sequel to the popular Only Fools And Horses, were characters Boycie and Marlene, played by the wonderful Sue Holderness, on a witness protection program leave their comfort zone in London with their adult son Tyler and buy a large country farm

The Vicar Of Dibley, where Dawn French's sex starved vicar Geraldine takes charge of a village church

Sid James and Victor Spinetti play townies who also buy a farm in Two In Clover

In movie terms there's Nurse On Wheels with Juliet Mills as village district nurse
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Fair warning! I've just sent off another postal blow against Alison's empire, hopefully, this is the one that will render her less powerful and less resistent to my many winks and nudges. No, no dead parrots (not this time) but I am cackling over my caldrons about a few of those goodies. If only Renoir can work his charms against her AND do it in my name! "She'll be helpless before us!"

Oh wait... that's not from THE FRENCH CAN-CAN. That's what Emperor Ming said against Flash Gordon. Drat - and I didn't even send Alison ANY of those!!

I've blown it again!

That's OK - just wait until she gets my NEXT c.a.r.e package!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Alison, I think I will work up some BevHillb DVDs for ya, and include the Robert Osborne and the Gloria Swanson, maybe the Hedda Hopper episodes, too. Fun stuff.
charliechaplinfan

These all sound delightful. Don't worry both my kids are going to school this term, although what they will think of the youngest is anyone's guess, I'll pretend to be home tidying but I'll unpack your package make a great big mug of hot chocolate and woory about the rest when the kids and hubby get back :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Well, the world doesn't have to wait for 2012. No Mayan calendar necessary. For lo these many weeks, I've been sheltered from Alison's retributions but now, today, she's now able to reach out and give me a swift kick in the email. Death, where is thy sting?

Actually... forget that last line. It's probably more appropriate to whisper, "For there is no joy in Mudville..."

Darn. I could NEVER hit a curve ball!

Welcome back anyway, oh Rose Of Lancashire... my public humiliations here can continue as always, and now those private ones, too. Sigh... my oh my, how I've missed ALL of those-!

:P

In one of the few serious tones, however, I must tip my hat to your exquisite taste of sending me so many great titles. My family and I have found some to be new all-time favorites, and others are so well-done (the Hollywood documentaries) that I'm stunned I've never had them earlier! Thanks. What a treasure you are.
charliechaplinfan

I'm glad too pay back your generosity.

Rose of Lancashire, that's good. Just look out for the thorns, they're sharp :lol:
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

"Sharp" is indeed an attribute I'd apply to you, but only regarding an uncannily perfect intelligence you've demonstrated repeatedly. I've watched so many of your contributions to my film library and wondered, "Is she the Real Mick Dundee? Is she really telepathic to know I'd love these films?!!"
charliechaplinfan

You're so kind.

I save my thorns for closer to home :lol: