Was Sarah Palin out of order over N.H.S

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Was Sarah Palin out of order over N.H.S

Post by stuart.uk »

I haven't been paying to much attention to The U.S President's intention to improve his Country's health care, despite oppisition from his oppenents, one of whom is Sarah Palin.

Apperently she has been critical of Britain's National Health Service, calling it evil, picking who gets treatment and who doesn't. The N.H.S came in excistance in 1945, when Labour came to power and Nationalised all the major industries like coal and steel. The idea behind it was to provide free medical care for those in need of it, though in modern times its resourses have been stretched to the limit with advanced technology and the fact peopled are living longer. The Public now have to pay a token amount for prescription drugs.

However, a flawed National Health Service IMO is better than none at all. So I'm wondering if American's think Sarah Palin was out of order with her comments
mrsl

Re: Was Sarah Palin out of order over N.H.S

Post by mrsl »

Stuart:

Sarah Palin is out of order when she breathes. That woman single-handedly could cause a war. She is a complete fool and why anyone even listens to her is beyond belief. The media who follow her and use her phrases as headline news should be strung up to the nearest tree. She is an American citizen and I don't like it when the media hunt her and comedians use her and her family for comedy material, but on the other hand like Rush Limbaugh and all the commentators from FOX news when your only goal is to destroy the new President in the eyes of his citizens, no country needs that kind of trouble.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

Scottish broadcaster Lorraine Kelly laid into her, writing her weekly article in the Dundee's The Sunday Post. She also called Palin fool, but worried some American's might listen to her. Lorriane accussed her and others of using our health service to beat Obama with a stick. She also attacked some Americans for daring to go on tv and lay into our NHS, saying they should no better.

It's not an anti American article though. She praises both the Clinton's and Obama for trying to reform America's health care.

I was just thinking. At the moment we're getting two episodes a day of Quincy. In many he fights and wins against injustices, often fighting on behalf of people unable to get proper medical attention. I'm just wondering if American's see the show as simply a dramatic tv series, or as a show that tackled and raised real-life issuses. I think I'm right in saying Jimmy Carter was a fan of Quincy when it first aired
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The the other day Mrs Palin cheered & claimed victory that the so - called "death panels " had been removed for the Senate version of the health care proposals. Except 1) The end of life counseling is in the House version & 2) Congress was in recess and could not add or remove anything. What an idiot ! :oops:
Last edited by ken123 on August 16th, 2009, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I certainly hope that most Americans see Sarah Palin as a fool, but the majority of Americans have elected some pretty stupid people to the office of president in the past. I am carefully watching the news for any signs of a majority of fools jumping on her bandwagon.

I agree that the media should be strung up for making supposed news stories out of non-news.... but they see a pretty face, and decide that they can get some ratings and money of they plaster her mug all over their pages and channels. It's pretty pathetic here since the advent of twenty-four hour news shows, nobody seems to really KNOW what is actually NEWS anymore.

She was ridiculous to mention NHS at all. Everyone's health care is stretched by the problems mentioned, whether it is state run or not.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ken 123:

Why does she have any idea what is in the House or the Senate right now anyhow? She no longer holds a government job, in fact, she is un-employed. Again I must state that there are more than two versions around anyway. Obama got several ideas of plans, and he is now in the process of pulling what seems to be the best ideas from each plan. Sarah Palin is a housewife from Alaska, and has no business seeing anything related to government process. She retired, and she quit her job as governor to care for her family, so someone should tell her to just get home and feed the baby.
Anne

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I totally agree, mrsl. If you are going to play the "family" card to get support from people, then you should follow through on it and actually BE a family person.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The 1000 page monstrosity is on the net so anyone could read it if they want to. Obama isn't pulling anything together as he has left it up to Congress to make up a bill. Mrs. Palin, as well as any of us, have every right to see what it going on in any bill. If that weren't were the case the press or political organizations or, heaven forbid, the voters wouldn't know what or how to comment on what the knuckleheads in DC are doing. Just think what would show up in a bill if it were all done in secret. I think Obama said he would allow any bill 5 days of public review before he signed it. (Although in one case I think that didn't happen.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote:The 1000 page monstrosity is on the net so anyone could read it if they want to. Obama isn't pulling anything together as he has left it up to Congress to make up a bill. Mrs. Palin, as well as any of us, have every right to see what it going on in any bill. If that weren't were the case the press or political organizations or, heaven forbid, the voters wouldn't know what or how to comment on what the knuckleheads in DC are doing. Just think what would show up in a bill if it were all done in secret. I think Obama said he would allow any bill 5 days of public review before he signed it. (Although in one case I think that didn't happen.)
Chris, only a member of Congress can introduce a bill to be come law, therefore the President is doing the only thing he is empowered to do, that is, make his proposals known to Congress and to the public. It is up to Congress to refashion those proposals into a bill, and to pass or reject it after debate. The President does not directly make laws, except by Executive Order in extraordinary circumstances; only Congress can make laws. I believe that once Congress passes a bill, the President has 10 days to review it and either sign or veto it.

It seems obvious to me that one of the reasons the President is trying to stay out of this to the extent possible, is that he has the Clinton Administration healthcare mess in mind. Presenting a done deal to Congress and saying "Here, pass this," is not the best way to reform anything under our system, even when your own part is in the majority.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

I was referring to Anne's comment on Obama pulling ideas from all other sources as if he were compiling the bill. I certainly misstated my point about who would be compiling any bill.

I do think the executive branch has written bills to submit to a committee for review, editing and eventual presentation for voting.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote:Judith:

I was referring to Anne's comment on Obama pulling ideas from all other sources as if he were compiling the bill. I certainly misstated my point about who would be compiling any bill.

I do think the executive branch has written bills to submit to a committee for review, editing and eventual presentation for voting.
Yes, I agree with you there, Chris. Although not part of the President's brief, I'd be surprised if any White House wasn't feeding sympathetic members of Congress at least the outlines of bills they wanted to see passed. What I meant was that the President is trying to distance himself from the actual authorship of this bill (at least at this point), and is tying to make the proposed plan as accessible as possible to Congress and to the public, since no bill can be submitted for consideration except by a member of Congress. What Woodrow Wilson called "the dance of legislation."

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with compiling what seem to be the most workable and advantageous provisions from multiple sources. Any negotiation brings more to the table than it thinks really necessary, in order to be able to make concessions to keep the negotiations on track. I don't see the proposed healtcare reform as a power play. I believe this administration actually wants healthcare reform for all of us, and that this isn't just an exercise in political domination.

But perhaps Wilson was being too kind in his description of the legislative process?
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Palin is upset because she wasn't allowed to abuse her gubernatorial powers anymore, couldn't fire State employees or even discipline State park clerks when they made she and her family stand in line behind 3 other citizens. Boy - wait until she finds out someone dropped a house on her sister.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ollie wrote: Boy - wait until she finds out someone dropped a house on her sister.
1) I predict she'll weep in silent bravery during the photo ops, then call a press conference to announce that she can see Kim Jong Il's backyard from the roof.

2) Ollie, the PR dept. @ Wicca, USA would like to speak with you about character defamation.

3) Howard Dean & the Green Mountain Radicals would like to suggest that you've mistaken your capital B's for capital W's.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Movieman 1957 (Chris) said:

"I do think the executive branch has written bills to submit to a committee for review, editing and eventual presentation for voting."

That's exactly what I meant Chris, I certainly don't think the Pres is going to design the entire health care package by himself, but I just thought that was understood. I saw somebody on Maher's show last week saying a committee will define the package, but Obama sits in on as many sessions as he can.
Anne

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Klondike, in the words of Larry The Cable Guy... "Oh, Lord, I apologize 'bout that. I don't mean to offend the witches out thar..."

Y'know, I've mostly (50.001% is technically "mostly") liked John McCain but I was shocked that, out of his decades of elected offices, he couldn't find ONE old chum to stand up with him. Not one. No Senators, no Congressmen, no old GOPers - heck, not even Dem's would join him. He had to settle for this rookie guv and he didn't even know she'd been pouring scalding water on anyone who didn't let her play Richard Nixon in her own State house. EVen HE couldn't believe she'd be so petty!

He couldn't find ONE old friend to stand up with him. He had to resort to the last possibility. He was the GOP shoo-in for the presidential nom for weeks and weeks (8? 10?) before Obama got the Dem nod. Yet, Obama named his VP candidate within two weeks. And then another 20 days passed before McCain could finally get someone to agree to be his VP running mate. And the consensus was, "Who? From WHERE?!!"

That was the only one who'd agree to run with him.

Well, he's gone thru worse ordeals. Sitting on the FORRESTAL's deck, watching one of his missiles fire off into a line of armed aircraft, causing the worst damage and most deaths onboard a US carrier since the kamikazes off Iwo.

So, I know he's been thru worse. I'm hopeful we never have to be.