My Darling Clementine

mrsl

My Darling Clementine

Post by mrsl »

I know a lot has been said about this movie but it's all scattered in different threads and hard to find. Many people consider this a great western. I always avoided it because I was under the impression that Victor Mature was the star, but I finally sat and watched it this a.m. and pleasantly found that Henry Fonda is the star. I understand that John Ford met Wyatt Earp at one point in life and he related the facts about how the gun battle at the O.K. Corral actually took place. Considering that, I realize why the battle was so tame in comparison to so many other gunfights that have been staged in movies and on T.V.

In any case, I think this was a feather in Fondas' cap. Not knowing Earps' personality, playing it as laid back as he did, made him a very interesting character. I wondered why he sat quietly when Doc H. tossed that gambler out of town when Doc returned to town, then later chided him for the action. Up until then the assumption is made that Doc is the un-named leader of the town with a nothing sheriff, so he had no way of knowing a new sheriff had been chosen in his absence. I still wonder about it. I saw little reason for Linda Darnell to be there other than as a trouble maker, but I guess she was something to add to the story. I love Linda but she was wasted in this one. The one who took my breath away was Cathy Downs (Clementine). Too bad she never followed the path she started with this movie and dropped to 'B' movies and TV guest shots. She was lovely, and IMHO was an asset to MDC. I looked her up on imdB and learned she was groomed for 'A' movies, but turned to 'B's' with her then husband. l was happy to see Ward Bond as a good guy when so often he is, not necessarily 'bad', but taciturn and unfeeling. I always feel sorry for little Tim Holt in movies like this where he is not the star. He literally had to peek around Ward Bond to be noticed in the bar scene when Wyatt introduced his brothers to Doc. For me, thankfully, Victor Mature was not a major part of the scenery, he was of the story, but not 'on stage' at all times like Fonda. Finally my wonderful, lovable Gramps 'Stumpy' from last weeks' Rio Bravo, to a ruthless killer in todays' movie. The man is a golden gem.

I find no quarrel or dislike for any of the acting, directing, or camera work in this film. Put all together it makes a fine movie, but . . . I don't see any greatness in it. It's a good routine western action movie, with the big, bang up gunfight at the end. Enjoyable for a western fan (me) to watch on a rainy Saturday morning, or a boring evening, and I would recommend it to friends for just that, but not rave about anything in, or about it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Re: My Darling Clementine

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched this for the first time last week. I was really taken with it and many of the other Ford movies I've been viewing. I haven't really seen Victor Mature in anything before and his Doc Holliday was almost playing against type with my preconceptions of him. I thought he gave a good performance, was flash and flawed, a contrast to Henry Fonda's mild mannered but tough sherriff.

If I've been discovering Ford I've also been discovering Henry Fonda, a superb actor, who can convey seriousness but also add a touch of comedy, his dancing with Clementine making me laugh, it was ungainly as his balancing on the chair was cool.

I liked Linda Darnell's character, she had the fire, I thought Clementine was quite wimpy. Chihuahua was trouble but she had a heart and she loved Doc and he loved her not Clementine.

I just loved it, would certainly watch it again.

Did Ford really meet Wyatt Earp or is it a case of printing the legend?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Allison, I'm a big, big fan of MY DARLING CLEMENTINE which, along with THE SEARCHERS remains my favorite of all John Ford's western films. Most of the others, despite their vivid pictorial aspects, seem to lack the dramatic and emotional scope that these films possess in spades. In fact, these two are the only ones I gravitate to most willingly for repeat viewings.
I think CLEMENTINE is a perfectly cast film (for what any of that is truly worth) but most importantly it (for me) is the one John Ford western that takes full advantage of the massive cinematic canvas available to the director. I find it to be simply flawless in its entirety. Glad you enjoy it, too!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

IMHO both Linda Darnell and Cathy Downs are terrific in this fim. Who says that John Ford can't direct woman. :x
charliechaplinfan

Ford did a great job with Maureen O'Hara too.

Dewey, I've just watched the cavalry films and really enjoyed them, especially Rio Grande, I think mainly for the addition of Maureen O'Hara, her addition put more dimension into John Wayne's character and their scenes together are great.

The scenery in My Darling Clementine is great and just one of the reasons for repeat viewing. I've only seen The Searchers on my laptop and it was crying out to be seen on a larger screen, which I now have.

It has been really good to discover these films for the first time, they are such classics and have been added to the many films that are classed under the title of 'must watch again'
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

Well, I've sure tried to enjoy this one . . I certainly grooved to the performances of Fonda, Bond, Holt & Brennan . . and that masterful Ford dialogue & camera & direction is just spectacular . .
But all three times I've seen it, Slick Vic just dunks the torch for me.
Can't help it . . . Kirk Douglas, Dennis Quaid, Powers Boothe - they all put their own spin on ol' Doc Holliday, and every time, those portrayals ring true, each to its own pitch.
But not Mature . . IMO, he looks, sounds and moves in purely 20th century urban ways, throwing a corkscrewed wrench into the works of this otherwise classic Western iliad, and creating as jarring an anachronism as Tony Curtis did in The Vikings.
charliechaplinfan

You missed Val Kilmer :wink:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"Yondda lies de cassle of my fuddah."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
klondike

Post by klondike »

charliechaplinfan wrote:You missed Val Kilmer :wink:
You're right, Alison, I did, and in the worst way, no less: I actually crossed-up his role in Tombstone with Boothe's, who instead of playing Doc, played the murderous Curly Bill.
But I ain't misremebering that face-down scene between Kurt Russell & Billy Bob Thornton; now that was some poker-face, nose-to-nose, big-dog, yellow-post machismo!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Klondike writes: "But I ain't misremebering that face-down scene between Kurt Russell & Billy Bob Thornton; now that was some poker-face, nose-to-nose, big-dog, yellow-post machismo!"

Just piggybacking on your comment before moving on to...to...what is it now...Tony Curtis. I also loved the scene between Kurt Russell and Billy Bob Thornton, Klondike:

Wyatt Earp: Go ahead. Go ahead, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.
Johnny Tyler: Listen, mister, I-I'm gettin' awful tired of your--

(Wyatt slaps Johnny hard in the face).

Wyatt Earp: I'm gettin' awful tired of your gas. Now jerk that pistol and go to work.

(Johnny doesn't do anything and Wyatt slaps him in the face again).

Wyatt Earp: I said throw down, boy.

Yeah...let's see Tony Curtis do that. By the by, I loved Victor Mature in "My Darling Clementine."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love My Darling Clementine. This was the first movie I saw where I really understood who John Ford was. It is also one of a handful of westerns that I loved before coming to enjoy the genre.

It's a beautiful film, with great characterizations. It's what I picture when I think of the OK Corral. Fonda is superb, as is Walter Brennan.

I love Linda Darnell in this one, though I think her number at the beginning is kind of funny. Cathy Downs is good too. And I think Ford is great at directing women.

I come down on the side of Victor Mature. I love his performance and think he did a great job. Frankly, he is one of the few actors playing tubercular that I believed was really coughing himself to death. I love the way he hates himself.......and his classic scene in the bar, with Shakespeare.....

Alan Mowbray breaks my heart.
charliechaplinfan

Yes, from what I've seen I think Ford is good at directing women, although I couldn't see him directing the more fragile ones.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Good thing Ford didn't direct Angel and the Badman.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
markfp

Post by markfp »

charliechaplinfan wrote: Did Ford really meet Wyatt Earp or is it a case of printing the legend?
I've read that he did, but I don't really know. Earp lived until 1929 so it's certainly possible.