TCM Classic Film Festival (April 22-25, 2010)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

TCM Classic Film Festival (April 22-25, 2010)

Post by MissGoddess »

You fortunate Angelenos, I hope you manage to attend!

http://www.tcm.com/festival/

TCM is finally doing what I thought they should all along: hosting a film festival of their own. And I just know from my own experience in Atlanta with them, that it will be first class all the way. I don't know if I'll be able to make it, being that it's in L.A. and I live on the East Coast. But I certainly hope everyone that can go, will go, because it's going to be a great time.

I can't wait to hear what the films will be...they say 50 movies at different venues so there is bound to be something for every taste, every genre.

You can keep Sundance, this is the festival I want to attend! :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: TCM Classic Film Festival (April 22-25, 2010)

Post by Lzcutter »

I hope many of you will give some thought to coming West for the Film Festival next April. If you can, it would be great to be able to finally meet the people behind the screen names.

In addition to the Hollywood Roosevelt, which looks like it is going to be the official hotel of the FilmFest, there are a number of small hotels nearby on Highland Ave near the Hollywood Bowl, including a Best Western.

You would be within walking distance of the Roosevelt, Chinese and Egyptian theaters where the Festival takes place.

There are a few hotels on the eastern end of Hollywood Blvd. near Western Ave which would be subway close (there's a subway stop at Western and one at Hollywood and Highland where the Chinese is).

So, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope to see y'all in April!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

King,

I suspect that TCM will have a block of rooms at a special discounted rate for the FilmFest. The Roosevelt would get promotional consideration in the advertising and TCM would guarantee a large, set number of rooms would be reserved in exchange for a lower, discounted price.

The Roosevelt, I believe, has done similar deals with past film conventions, including Cinecon.

Also, flying into Burbank (Bob Hope Airport) is easier and closer than flying into LAX. Possibly cheaper, too.

Here's hoping it all works out and come this spring many of us are are together and having a grand time.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh how I would love to attend, but in these parlous economic times, it doesn't seem to be an option for me. I'm hoping for numerous and generously worded and illustrated posts from those of us lucky enough to see it in person.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Me too. Please share your experiences.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Depending on the cost for passes, I plan to make the trip down for this. How can one resist?

I'm very excited about it.

Donna
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

rudyfan wrote:Depending on the cost for passes, I plan to make the trip down for this. How can one resist?

I'm very excited about it.

Donna
Wish I could go too, but the difference betweee Texas and California expenses is too much for me this year. I'm being really frugal for 2009. Have fun! :)

Brenda
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Well, I guess this is my splurge for the new century. I just purchased my pass. Lynn, I'd already sent you a message about hotels before finding this thread. I wonder how we can find out about Festival-related packages. Perhaps when the Pass arrives there will be hotel information with it. If anyone has more information regarding nearby lodging, I hope they'll post here. And I hope to see you all in Hollywood! I'll be bringing Jack Burly.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

More info has been posted at TCM. This, from a thread posted by filmlover at the Message Boards:

Key events announced to date:

http://www.tcm.com/festival/events.jsp

Opening Night Red Carpet Gala:
Featuring a Newly Restored A STAR IS BORN (1954)

North American Premiere:
Featuring the Newly Restored METROPOLIS (1927)

Special Presentation of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY:
With Oscar™-Winning Visual Effects Artist Douglas Trumbull

Special Programming Inspired By:
VANITY FAIR: TALES OF HOLLYWOOD Book

MOGULS AND MOVIE STARS: A HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD
A Sneak Preview of a New Original Documentary

Jean-Luc Godard’s BREATHLESS, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of its U.S. Release

Special guests of the Festival
Film director and historian Peter Bogdanovich
Film historian and author Leonard Maltin

Academy-Award winning visual effects artist Douglas Trumbull

And below is information on the Passes:

PASSES:
http://www.tcm.com/festival/passes.jsp

There are three levels of passes: The Classic, The Essential, and The Spotlight. Each of these will provide you with access to four days of festival screenings and events, from the opening night welcome reception at the historic Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, to more than 50 film programs in historic theatres, to the panel discussions and fan gatherings at "Club TCM."

THE CLASSIC PASS $499 ($399 until 12/18)

DETAILS

Access to all film programs at all festival venues including the historic Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and Egyptian Theatre, Thursday, April 22-Sunday, April 25 (does not include admittance to Opening Night Red Carpet Gala screening at the historic Grauman’s Chinese Theatre)

Access to all Club TCM events, including festival headquarters, lounge, panels, social events, boutique, and poolside screenings at Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.

Opening Night welcome party on Thursday, April 22 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel

Friday and Saturday night passholder gatherings

Closing Night event on Sunday, April 25

Commemorative Festival Program distributed only to passholders at festival

NOTE: Seating at individual screenings and events is not guaranteed, and is based on a first come, first served basis

THE ESSENTIAL PASS $599 ($499 until 12/18)

DETAILS

All of the above, plus:

Entry to Opening Night Red Carpet Gala screening on Thursday, April 22, at the historic Grauman’s Chinese Theatre

Official TCM Festival collectibles

NOTE: Seating is not guaranteed with this pass level, and is based on a first come, first served basis

THE SPOTLIGHT PASS $1,199 ($1,099 until 12/18)

DETAILS

All of the above, plus:

Priority entry to all shows

Entry to the Vanity Fair Opening Night party following the Red Carpet Gala screening

Meet and greet breakfast with Robert Osborne on Saturday, April 24

Official festival poster signed by Robert Osborne

NOTE: Priority entry permits the “Spotlight” passholder to enter first, to all screenings and events, as long as seating is available – however, seating is not guaranteed.

There is also an FAQ page:
http://www.tcm.com/festival/faq.jsp
(Among the items discussed, it mentions that the Hollywood Roosevelt will have special Festival rates)

http://www.tcm.com/festival/
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

kingrat wrote:If you're wondering what films were featured in the Vanity Fair book that's mentioned in some of the promos for the festival, they are: ALL ABOUT EVE, CLEOPATRA, SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, MYRA BRECKINRIDGE, TOMMY, THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, MIDNIGHT COWBOY, THE PRODUCERS, THE GRADUATE, REDS, and THE BEST OF EVERYTHING. Presumably some of those will be shown.

I was wondering. Thank you, kinrat.

I wonder if The Magnificent Ambersons will be shown, and if so, does that mean it may at last come to DVD?

I'm still holding off until I do see more titles listed. So far, nothing is really interesting me (for the costs) except the chance to see and listen to Peter Bogdanovich and Leonard Maltin. I'm waiting for more info to be released.
-- Will Rogers
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Well, I thought it might be spendy. Seriously, a festival pass of $500 on the low end and you are not guaranteed a seat?

If I do end up heading down for this and I do not need to pay for a hotel, which is a great fiscal blessing. I'm still on the fence pending more detailed schedule(s).
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

You can get the Classic pass for $399, but only until 12/18/09.
-- Will Rogers
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

rudyfan wrote:Well, I thought it might be spendy. Seriously, a festival pass of $500 on the low end and you are not guaranteed a seat?

If I do end up heading down for this and I do not need to pay for a hotel, which is a great fiscal blessing. I'm still on the fence pending more detailed schedule(s).
This really is suprisingly pricey. I wonder if it's an exclusionary tactic -- to make sure the attendees are really serious (and prosperous) classic film lovers, and not the MTV Awards red carpet crowd. But, after all, you do get the commemorative program, even at the basic price level. That's certainly worth an extra hundred or two, isn't it? Not.

I was fretting that the cost of airfare and hotel alone would be too much, but this is ridiculous. These sound like industry attendee prices, not average citizen prices.