Bishops Forbids Patrick Kennedy Communion

Chit-chat, current events
ken123

Bishops Forbids Patrick Kennedy Communion

Post by ken123 »

Politics & religion can be and are very divisive issues,so it is with some hesitation that I bring up this subject. Bishop Thomas Tobin has forbidden priests in the diocese of Providence,which covers of entire state of Rhode Island, to administer the sacrament of Holy Communion to Rep Patrick Kennedy ( D - RI ), because of the congressman's " pro choice " voting record in regard to abortion,which is in opposition to Church teachings, Rep. Kennedys today reported this injuction against him in the Providence newspaper.Under Church law Kennedy may still receive communion in other dioceses who are not subject to the Bishop's edicts.
silentscreen

Re: Bishops Forbids Patrick Kennedy Communion

Post by silentscreen »

Well I will tread gently here only to say that while I don't agree with abortion, I think the Bishop is wrong.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
ken123

Post by ken123 »

silentscreen wrote:Well I will tread gently here only to say that while I don't agree with abortion, I think the Bishop is wrong.
I agree.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

It is the Bishop's job to minister to his congregation, not judge them and turn them away. That is NOT what Jesus would do. When I read that story I thought (about the Bishop) who does he think he is? He may be turning away some one who needs the Sacraments of the church the most. I don't know that he does, but neither does the Bishop.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
ken123

Post by ken123 »

silentscreen wrote:It is the Bishop's job to minister to his congregation, not judge them and turn them away. That is NOT what Jesus would do. When I read that story I thought (about the Bishop) who does he think he is? He may be turning away some one who needs the Sacraments of the church the most. I don't know that he does, but neither does the Bishop.

In Church law the Bishop is within his rights, but I still believe the Bishop is wrong. His actions remind me of the Pharisees. :(
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It is the Bishop's job to minister to his congregation, not judge them and turn them away. That is NOT what Jesus would do.

I agree completely.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This is exactly the kind of thing that turned me away from the Catholic religion. Two priests with different philosophies in the same religion. Ironically, I believe in a God somewhere up there, not necessarily the hard case that I was taught about, but a loving one, but my problem is Jesus, and some of his edicts. But besides all of my troubles, I cannot imagine any situation where any priest, for any reason, would ever deprive a believer of that particular sacrament. He should go back to his books for a refresher course.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Here's the news item from the Associated Press. It sounds as though Mr. Kennedy has been requested by the bishop to stop receiving the sacrament of the eucharist, in that the bishop believes Mr. Kennedy is causing scandal by his pro-choice position and governmental voting record. It appears that he may not have actually ordered his priests to deny the sacrament to Mr. Kennedy:
"Bishop Tobin has never addressed matters relative to public officials receiving Holy Communion with pastors
of the diocese," spokesman Michael K. Guilfoyle told the paper in an e-mailed statement.
As a catholic adult myself, and one who has taken refresher courses in the faith not too many years ago, any Catholic has the right to receive the sacraments provided that he/she is not in a state of mortal sin. I don't know that a bishop truly has the right to deny the sacraments to a Catholic who is in a state of grace. And as far as I know, simply espousing a pro-choice public philosophy and/or voting for pro-choice candidates and/or laws is not an occasion of mortal sin. Procurement or being party to the procurement of abortion would be a mortal sin, but simply holding the opinions and voting on related civil matters I do not believe would qualify. Perhaps there is more to the issue.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The Catholic Church is also against the death penalty, but to the best of my knowledge no American Catholic politician has been denied communion because of that fact or been threathened in such a manner.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

ken123 wrote:The Catholic Church is also against the death penalty, but to the best of my knowledge no American Catholic politician has been denied communion because of that fact or been threathened in such a manner.
Actually, no, this is a popular misconception. The Catholic church is not against capital punishment, although it does believe that it should be reserved for extreme cases, for example, for the likes of an Adolph Hitler (had he not done the deed himself).
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Professional Tourist wrote:Here's the news item from the Associated Press. It sounds as though Mr. Kennedy has been requested by the bishop to stop receiving the sacrament of the eucharist, in that the bishop believes Mr. Kennedy is causing scandal by his pro-choice position and governmental voting record. It appears that he may not have actually ordered his priests to deny the sacrament to Mr. Kennedy:
"Bishop Tobin has never addressed matters relative to public officials receiving Holy Communion with pastors
of the diocese," spokesman Michael K. Guilfoyle told the paper in an e-mailed statement.
As a catholic adult myself, and one who has taken refresher courses in the faith not too many years ago, any Catholic has the right to receive the sacraments provided that he/she is not in a state of mortal sin. I don't know that a bishop truly has the right to deny the sacraments to a Catholic who is in a state of grace. And as far as I know, simply espousing a pro-choice public philosophy and/or voting for pro-choice candidates and/or laws is not an occasion of mortal sin. Procurement or being party to the procurement of abortion would be a mortal sin, but simply holding the opinions and voting on related civil matters I do not believe would qualify. Perhaps there is more to the issue.
I agree.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Professional Tourist wrote:
ken123 wrote:The Catholic Church is also against the death penalty, but to the best of my knowledge no American Catholic politician has been denied communion because of that fact or been threathened in such a manner.
Actually, no, this is a popular misconception. The Catholic church is not against capital punishment, although it does believe that it should be reserved for extreme cases, for example, for the likes of an Adolph Hitler (had he not done the deed himself).
You may be correct, but the Church has been very inconsistent in its " pro life " views. This Pope & Pope JP2 have condemned the War in Iraq as " unjustified & immoral ", yet many Catholic politicians in Congress support this terrible waste of human life without a peep from the Bishops.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

How do you square the necessity to bring wanted children into the world with the Catholic views on abortion and contraception? I'm a practicing Catholic and I agree with the many here who say that Jesus would not have turned anyone away. Refusing communion is a rather controversial tactic.

Tony Blair became a Catholic after he left office despite taking us into a war that 80% of this country did not want, he was a practicing Catholic all through his premiership, that tells you something about how Catholics are still viewed in this country. I completely disagree with his views but uphold his right to belong to the same religion as me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ken123

Post by ken123 »

On last night edition of " Hardball " host Chris Matthews had the audacity to quote Jesus to Bishop Tobin - " Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and render unto God the things that are God's. I usually find Matthews the village idiot, but he was actually sensible in his twelve minute segment with Bishop Tobin. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sometimes he really nails it. I do like Chris Matthews but only in small doses.