Flash Ads- I hate them

Chit-chat, current events
Lzcutter
Administrator

Flash Ads- I hate them

Post by Lzcutter »

I have decided that I truly hate the current vogue in internet advertising, Flash ads.

If I wanted to watch the dang ads that would be one thing and I wouldn't mind them holding my computer hostage by refusing to allow it to do anything while the dang ad plays out.

But, I don't want to watch them. And I don't want my computer held hostage while the ad loads/plays.

But, I have no choice. And every big website I visit has them.

I hate them. Hate them with the rays of a thousand suns coming off Horatio Caine's orange shades of justice. Hate them.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Re: Flash Ads- I hate them

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh, so do I Lynn. Two of the worst sites I've seen are Photobucket and IMDb.com---and I use both sites quite frequently. Grrrrrrr....

To me, they're like those obnoxious promos that cut off the beginning, middle and end of Network TV shows.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

grrrr. More and more sites are using them. I just want to do my thing and get on with it. I have no money to purchase anything anyway.

Someone needs to come up with a flash ad blocker....
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

There is! It's called flashblocker, I know Mozilla/Firefox has it.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

knitwit45 wrote:There is! It's called flashblocker, I know Mozilla/Firefox has it.
knitwit, I love you!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

knitwit45 wrote:There is! It's called flashblocker, I know Mozilla/Firefox has it.

Bless you. When I get my new computer I'm DEFINITELY getting that...oh, wait! Does it block any and all Flash content, or just the annoying pop ups? Because YouTube uses Flash, as do many sites (without pop ups), and I'd hate to lose those.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't get the pop ups (mostly) using firefox, but I do get notification that there is an ad every time one shows up which is a lot. I am also getting these new "toppers" at the top of a website page, which I cannot stand. I thought that was what you were talking about. I assume that the websites are being sponsored by whoever is flashing these commercials at the top of the screen, which blink and flash and you cannot stop them or skip them.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Lzcutter wrote:But, I don't want to watch them. And I don't want my computer held hostage while the ad loads/plays.

But, I have no choice. And every big website I visit has them.

I hate them. Hate them with the rays of a thousand suns coming off Horatio Caine's orange shades of justice. Hate them.
You do have a choice. You can switch to the Firefox web browser and install the free AdBlock Plus add-on. You "train" AdBlock to block the content you want it to block, from the domains you want to block, both images and flash.

Once you have downloaded and installed Firefox, you can then download and install the AdBlock Plus add-on. Then just import your favorites from Internet Explorer into Firefox's Bookmarks menu and you'll be right at home. :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Flashblock can be "trained" to allow popups or block them. I don't even have ads on my mail page at Yahoo, and I use youtube here to see the videos posted.
Bless you. When I get my new computer I'm DEFINITELY getting that...oh, wait! Does it block any and all Flash content, or just the annoying pop ups? Because YouTube uses Flash, as do many sites (without pop ups), and I'd hate to lose those.
Miss G, why wait for a new computer? You can install Mozilla's Firefox per directions from ProT, and start using it immediately!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

knitwit45 wrote:Flashblock can be "trained" to allow popups or block them. I don't even have ads on my mail page at Yahoo, and I use youtube here to see the videos posted.

Oh, that's FABULOUS. I had no idea anything like that was possible...

What I wouldn't give to install something like that on my TV to block the commercial interruptions... :D

Miss G, why wait for a new computer? You can install Mozilla's Firefox per directions from ProT, and start using it immediately!

I am so low-tech, I was going to wait until I got the new one because it's going to be a Mac (I've only ever had PC's) and I have no idea even how it will behave differently. I figure on taking a week just to learn how to USE my Mac's most basic functions, ha ha. I took not one but TWO separate Macintosh training courses from NYU a few years ago when I was into post-production for film, and have forgotten everything about it.

But you may be right, I should try it out on my PC to at least get the hang of a different browser. I've been in a "rut" with IE all this time.

Thanks very much for this information, I'm excited! (It's the little things...)
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Our own Pro Tourist is a WHIZ BANG at Mac! A programmer, I believe, so direct any questions you might have to our resident expert! And good luck. I think you will find Firefox to be very VERY user-friendly. I love the bookmark toolbar, right now I have 21 places on it that I use frequently :oops: :oops: , takes up very little space across the top of the screen.
Flashblock, when turned on, blocks all flash content until you choose to view it. When you do, there is an option to always allow flash on that particular website. So you only have to tell it once per site, then it is trained. As so many are now saying, "easy-peasy!"
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Nancy. I need to explore more of the "brave new frontier" of the internet, I guess. I bet I know only .00001% of what's out there and what it's capable of.
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

The websites become so parasitic, sucking up our computer's resources for their evil purposes, regardless of our own desires. When web-page designs first got started, one of the first big 'splits' was a Frames vs. No-Frames camp of web-browsers. That is, some web-browsers 'observed' frames and some didn't, and those that didn't provided such great and fast web-surfings. No lags, no hold-ups...

Then web-designers started crippling and punishing those speedy browsers - "You don't recognize my Frame Command being sent to you? Then up yers - you can't see ANYTHING on this web-page!"

Eventually, all browsers HAD to 'observe' Frames and have some of your computer's guts churned up because THEY want to syphon off your computer resources for THEIR purposes. "After all, you're visiting us - we now have the right to cripple and slow your surfing activities."

This also sold more new hardware. And new software. And then new 'standards' were inserted into web-programming, slowing up web-browsers once again, and offering others that didn't observe those latest 'features'.

It's a never-ending battle, and you think you'll only have to learn "one more blocker" or "one more trick to avoid" those nusances, I'm betting you'll be wrong - we'll all have so much more to learn, and how to deal with it. And always buying new hardware that has more of those "features" built into them and cripple us and make us more dependent on new, New, NEW. Grrr...

I am, of course, a culprit in this treachery, too. "But it seemed like a good idea at the time!"
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ollie you are so funny! :lol: And absolutely correct, I'm sure!

It's all a racket, isn't it. I'm fearing the day we'll have to pay to see more and more of the available content.
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

MissGoddess wrote:Thank you, Nancy. I need to explore more of the "brave new frontier" of the internet, I guess. I bet I know only .00001% of what's out there and what it's capable of.
April, all of my knowledge is outdated by lightyears! I just stagger around, and have fun doing it. Good luck with your new purchase. :lol: :lol: