Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ken123

Fav TV Cop Show

Post by ken123 »

Or least fav.
mrsl

Re: Fav TV Cop Show

Post by mrsl »

I''ve never been a big fan of cop shows per se. I never really got into Dragnet, or NYPD, or others like that, and Michael Douglas spoiled San Francisco for me and I had already grown up and developed serious family issues to enjoy The Mod Squad, i.e. I had outgrown it before it started.

I guess of the older shows I have to choose Barney Miller. That precinct held the most intriguing group of unusual personages ever gathered together.

For present day favorites, I go with the Navy cops of NCIS, and NCIS, Los Angeles. Good old Law and Order (the original) has to take third place.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Law and Order. I still think it is a smart show. I like the two sequels less but they can be pretty good. Hill Street Blues was really good too but I haven't seen it in forever so I don't know how well it holds up.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh,it's not like I don't have my own opinion, I just like the choices others made before me. Hill Street Blues, Barney Miller and Law and Order, in no particular.

The Closer is a really good show, but I can never figure out when it is on. I liked Baretta for a while when I was a kid, but I think it's now unpopular to compliment Robert Blake's acting.

Ellery Queen, Wild Wild West, The Fugitive, and The Avengers don't really count as cop shows do they? Nor does Night Court, right?

Oh, yeah. COLUMBO. definitely.

The Brits really know how to do police shows well.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, and least fave? T.J. Hooker
klondike

Post by klondike »

"Saving Grace".
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The Closer is on at 9:00 Chicago time on Monday night.

Saving Grace has
been cancelled.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for the info, Anne. No wonder I never see the Closer anymore. Monday is Andrew's night at the TV....
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote:Law and Order. I still think it is a smart show. I like the two sequels less but they can be pretty good. Hill Street Blues was really good too but I haven't seen it in forever so I don't know how well it holds up.
Chris, I've never been able to warm up to Law & Order, in any of its many permutations. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of the episodes, since the critics seem to think it's right on the money most of the time. Every episode I've watched has been simplistic and uninteresting. I also do not like the way they focus on faces -- I'm watching on a TV screen, not a computer screen, and what's the point of filming outdoors in NYC if you don't show it? They could be anywhere, for all we know.

I liked, but didn't love, Hill St. Blues when it was in its first run, but I'm finding that it doesn't hold up for me at all any more. Except for Andy Renko. (It's on one of the more obscure cable networks -- is it ALN?)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I am not all that fond of "Law and Order: SVU" and "Criminal Intent." "SVU," to me too often covers familiar ground. I don't feel any connection to the "CI" cast. I've never really noticed the closeups that much on "L&O." On the original I've thought they go many different places with a story even if the formula doesn't really change. One of the odd things about it was rarely getting into anyone's private life and you almost never see family members but you still get a strong sense of who they are. I always thought they had a real gift for finding some of the best "unknown" talent as well.

It's not really a cop show but I still get a kick out of watching "The Rockford Files." He's smart and tough but up to a point. He is also pretty good at telling people off. Seeing all those cars from my teenage years makes me nostalgic. I don't like being old.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree Chris.

I like the original Law and Order, and find the other shows in the series uninteresting.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

A couple not yet mentioned that captured a certain period and style:

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
[youtube][/youtube]

Who loves ya, Baby?
[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I was thinking about the zillions of TV cop shows I've seen in my lifetime (didn't we have a thread about favorite cop shows only recently?). I've decided that the one I remember with the most fondness is Naked City. Each episode was an ensemble drama unto itself, with "real" actors (by which I mean not "stars" or 8x10 glossy types). It was set in NYC and had a very NYC feel to it (and used a lot of NYC actors). It was very much in the 1950s teledrama mode, rather than a slick TV series. I hope one of the retro cable channels will run it some time soon.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Some of my favs include:
The Wire
Homicide: Life on the Streets
Inspector Morse
Life on Mars (British version)
The Shield
David Cassidy: Man Under Cove
r
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:
Saving Grace has been cancelled.
Actually, that statement is not entirely true.
TNT has definitely announced the termination of its production schedule with the show's creative ownership team, however - there is still an upcoming mini-season of nine brand new episodes beginning March 29th on TNT, after which the show's continuation might be marketed to a different network, or network affiliate.