Walt Disney Family Museum

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

Walt Disney Family Museum

Post by Lzcutter »

The Walt Disney Family Museum is located in the Presidio in San Francisco. It has only been open since October of last year (2009), however, it is a Smithsonian class museum.

From the outside, it is very deceptive. In December of last year, MrC and I went to San Francisco for the week before Christmas. It had been almost ten years since our last visit and was our Christmas present.

We met up with MoraldoRubini that Sunday to take a tour of the museum. Looking at the building, we figured we would be inside for about two hours and then could go have lunch.

FOUR HOURS later, we emerged, totally in awe. And for the record, I'm not sure how they got so much stuff in that building which, I guess, is very Disneyesque.

The museum is dedicated to the life of Walt Disney from his early years to his trek to Hollywood to Disneyland and more. It artfully blends his personal life and public life with an amazing amount of multi-media displays.

For example, there is one of the three story multi-plane cameras on display, Technicolor paint pots, an incredible model of Disneyland that includes all the rides that Walt, himself, envisioned. Pieces of his backyard train, shopping lists, his advent into live-action movies and, of course, his use of television.

It is affordable and reservations are required so that you don't get over-run by other patrons during your journey through Walt's life.

Towards the end of the museum, it is quite moving.

I know that Rudyfan has been to the museum and I've read her review of it over at Nitrateville. That was one of the things that convinced us to go to the museum in December.

And after next week, if you find yourself in San Francisco, drop me a PM, as I will be beginning a new adventure in my life as the Digital Archivist for the museum.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Walt Disney Family Museum

Post by moira finnie »

This is glorious news, Lynn, but the Disney people are so lucky to have you!

Please give my love to Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar if you see them around the museum. I think you know how delighted I am for you to have this opportunity.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

I'm delighted, too and am looking forward to meeting you. What a great opportunity this will be.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Good for you, Lynn. I love anything Disney.
Best to Jon.

Joe
Joseph Goodheart