Meet Me In St. Louis

mrsl

Re: Meet Me In St. Louis

Post by mrsl »

Well, Dang:

It's 12:30 a.m. and here I am flipping back and forth between the party for Lon and the trolley and the girl in blue. Not so much the girl, but the darn dress.

1. Party for Lon: Blue gal is wearing weird orange things over her shoulders, while singing Shoo Fly.

2. Back a little is another brunette wearing a blue dress.

3. On the trolley: I can't tell from any of the trolley photos if the blue gal's dress has a little bolero jacket with a lace collar and dark pink trim, but it shows clearly at the party on the other girl.

4. Is it the same dress? Are there any trolley photos that show the dress to blue gal's waist?

I've always noticed the clothing and learned more when I tried to do a comparison of designers. The most I got out of that was that the designer works solely for the female star or stars she or he are to dress, so any special things are attributed only to those people, like Stanwycks' high waist, thus the designer created the wide belt, or cummerbund type of sash.

My VCR is broken so I can't watch my tape to answer my own questions. - Thanks.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't wait for the Mary Astor Leon Ames number You and I. My favorite in the entire movie. Ack! I'm tearing up just thinking of it!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Well, I'm not there yet but here's something to make you laugh instead of cry. :)

FISH LIPS!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It worked!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

You can get out your handkerchief again. By request:

I really want some cake after this song. :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The best part of a great movie. Is that a picture of Mary Astor on the table behind Judy Garland? The things you get to see in these wonderful screencaps!

Thanks Paula.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Any bites on answers to my question about the blue dress?

I don't understand what the difference is between photos and screen caps. Where do the screen caps come from?

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

God, those are great! Thanks so much. Tears are welling up right now....

I really love the looks Mary and Leon have in number five, and the last one. Mary can say more just looking down than most actresses could going through a whole range of faces.

knitty - once again you see beyond to the most interesting object in the room. I can't tell if that photo is Mary, or maybe Lucille Bremer?
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

THis is one of my favorite movies so I'm just loving this. (My cat is named after Margaret O'Brien, sad but true.) I just love looking at all the details of the stills, especially the rooms. I am fascinated by high Victorian style, although I wouldn't want to dust it.

Thanks for posting all these, I'll be watching for more.
B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I think the face in the photograph is of Mary Astor. The forehead is high and round, and the hair color is rather light. And it could have been just another prop, guess we'll never know. I agree with Birdy, the look is beautiful, but the dusting and cleaning would have been awful!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I'm quite sure that photo is Mary Astor. Fantastic catch, Knitwit!

Screencaps are photos of frames taken directly the movie as it plays on my computer. ;)

I have a program called DVDSnap which lets me do this. ;)

I bought the program last winter because I was frustrated that I couldn't find photos from some of my favorite movie scenes. Now screencapping is a whole new hobby. The only problem is that all these screencaps are taking of gobs of room on my hard drive plus hubby is annoyed that our back-ups are taking FOREVER. (Otherwise he doesn't mind my hobby at all.) :) I haven't decided yet how to handle this but I'm going to have to decide soon. :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

For about 80.00 (or less, if on sale or special) you can purchase a portable hard drive that has a huge amount of space. You could have all your caps on that?? Just a suggestion. Do you have a MicroCenter near you? They also have an online site. BestBuy also carries them, as does OfficeMax. Might want to check it out...we want our screencaps to continue!!!!! :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I see now that you are right, knitty, it is Mary Astor. As the night comes on, my eyesight gets worse and worse, so I should have waited till this morning to look again. What a wonderful picture!

Of course, you wouldn't have had to dust back then, you would have a maid to do it for you. No problems!

I have always loved the way Mary sits down at the piano - you know she hasn't played for some time, because of the way she warms her hands - My mother used to do the same thing right before playing. Astor did play piano, so she would know this.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

We have considered a hard drive... and some other things. We'll make up our minds about it next week when Rich is back home. :)

Meanwhile, some more screencaps to clog up the space on the hard drive! :)

Don't you love it when Marjorie Main waves frozen ladies drawers in your face?

One reason why I'm glad we're no longer in the 19th-early 20th century.

"Put on a happy face" when your boyfriend tells you his tux is locked up at the tailor's the night of the big dance

Grandpa to the rescue

I LOVE these dresses, especially Judy's rich wine red
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Who did all the needlepoint in that room, do you suppose?