The Long Dark Hall

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

The Long Dark Hall

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Anybody seen this? Stars Lilli Palmer who I like, but otherwise I don't know much about this one.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi Mr Ark -
Each time I've tried to watch THE LONG DARK HALL, I've fallen sound asleep. Dreary and dull.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I just watched The Long Dark Hall (1951), and since I enjoy British mysteries, Rex Harrison and especially Lilli Palmer, found it engaging. The story, about a man accused of the murder of his showgirl mistress, parallels the real life circumstances of Harrison's involvement with Carole Landis, who committed suicide while having an affair with the actor, who had then been married to Palmer for several years. Inexplicably, at least to the public, the couple remained together after the firestorm of publicity that followed, though Harrison's Hollywood career suffered for some years.

As Robert Osborne pointed out at the end of the movie, Rex & Lilli signed for this film without reading the script (!) in order to sock away cash for their planned home in Portofino, Italy. Having read Harrison's and Palmer's autobiographies too long ago to recall their feelings about the project, I can only speculate on how painful this production may have been for them.

Lilli Palmer, who projected a beguilingly vulnerable blend of intelligence, sophistication, & humor in many memorable films, (notably Body and Soul, My Girl Tisa, The Four Poster, But Not For Me, & The Counterfeit Traitor), had the most sympathetic role as the loyal wife, who refuses to abandon her husband. Palmer, whose memoir, "Change Lobsters and Dance", is one of the best written actor life stories, makes this viewer believe that she really is a person of such inner conviction that she can maintain a marriage under these strained circumstances. But then, the lady had practice off screen as well.

Rex Harrison has his moments of anguish in this film--or is it just dyspepsia? He certainly looks uncomfortable throughout the movie, and has one melodramatic breakdown alone in a darkened bathroom which is among his best in the film.

Anthony Dawson, whose angular face will be readily recognizable to those who've seen Dial M for Murder & Midnight Lace, is effectively creepy as the stranger, though one scene with Palmer in her home during a thunder storm is way over the top dramatically--even though the actors try their darnedest to to make it work.

Speaking of "making it work", Brenda De Banzie does just that in a small part as an annoying and vulgar landlady at the theatrical boardinghouse where the victim lives. If you watch this one, don't miss her outfit when she testifies. Meriel Forbes, (who was married to the great actor, Ralph Richardson), does a nice turn as the hard-drinking and cynical pal of the victim. Both ladies inject what humor there is in this noirish movie into their scenes.

I was a bit troubled by the police inspector, played by the familiar English character actor Raymond Huntley. Huntley, who demonstrates some professional compassion for Palmer, blithely allows her to accept a ride from an obvious and sinister stranger (Anthony Dawson) after the second day at court. Surely, any policeman who'd attended any capital court cases would know enough to encourage an unworldly housewife to be cautious about the type of people who come out of the woodwork at these events? I was also a bit disappointed in the rather rushed ending, and the murder & trial's seeming lack of consequences for Harrison & Palmer's middle class life.

Nevertheless, the acting of several of the actors, and the menace during certain sequences is quite well done. I hope others offer their opinions after viewing this movie as well.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Wow, thanks for the info Moira! I recorded it and will try to get to it soon (way behind in my watching).
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira,

Rex Harrison hated this movie and only did it for the money.
I saw it years ago; it was boring except for Brenda De Banzie and it had a stupid ending as I recall.

I've been to their villa in Portofino. Rex held a birthday party for me there when I turned 18 in 1960.
His ashes are scattered over the gardens and the cliff side there. The last time I was there, I climbed up the cliff and threw some flowers over in tribute.
I've always had fond memories of Rex Harrison and Brenda De Banzie. Never knew Lillie Palmer though or any of his wives.

Larry
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

How nice and interesting to hear something good about Rex Harrison, Larry.

I saw the movie and though I found it a bit dull, Lilli was very good as was de Banzie. I have to say, though, Rex is a hard guy to feel sympathy for---he is just great in roles requiring you to admire his keen intelligence, wit and sardonic humor but the composition of his face doesn't allow him to show much vulnerability. He reminds me of Robert Ryan in that aspect---no matter how they tried, they just didn't have the kind of eyes that projected any of the softer emotions. Actually, Rex would show much more vulnerability as Julius Ceasar, a part I think he played better than any other actor I've seen. I even prefer it to his Professor Higgins.