Ralph Richardson, film actor

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Ralph Richardson, film actor

Post by JackFavell »

I watched The Ghoul the other day (here in a better print than I saw on TCM).
[youtube][/youtube]

Richardson was fun to watch. He was one of the few old-dark-house guests whose scenes had zip. In fact, I liked him so much that it started me on another search for pictures and for his films, and I discovered this one online:

Friday the Thirteenth:
[youtube][/youtube]

The plot is a bit of a mystery story, with a bus crash in which two of the passengers are killed. We are treated to flashbacks of the different passengers lives - why each of them was on board in the first place, and who has the most chance of being one of the victims. I love this type of episodic story, I have to confess.

Richardson plays Jessie Mathews fiance(!), and they are at odds over her career as a dancer. She wants a big break in a real show, but doesn't want to have to endure the casting couch to get it. He is a school teacher, staid and comfortable, and he doesn't understand her wish to have a career at all. He keeps catching her being pawed by the slimy producer (though she turns him down every time) and finally he calls the man out, lunging at him angrily. Mathews, instead of being happy that her man loves her so much, is furious because Richardson has spoiled her chance for a starring role in the show. He walks out on her, thinking that she finds him too dull. She decides to do the show, and takes the bus.... all the while hoping that Richardson will come after her.

I also went on a snoop to find some more photos of Sir Ralph and I came up with quite a few, though the rascally Sir poses a bit eccentrically sometimes.

an impossibly young , dewy eyed Sir Ralph... I find him quite attractive in this photo. Maybe it's the uniform.

as Peer Gynt

with Margaret Leighton in Home at Seven which he also directed

from Things to Come

from The Wrong Box

with Laurence Olivier in The Critic

as Macbeth. I love this photo, he has such sad eyes. He looks like he has witnessed some horrible things. Most of the photos I found had a wistfulness around the eyes. It makes me really wonder about the man.

Last edited by JackFavell on November 3rd, 2010, 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I found these four delightful short interviews with Sir Ralph. I wish there were a hundred more....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/audiointer ... onr1.shtml
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Stuart -

You had mentioned some of his early work and I have done quite a big search for some of them. The one I want most to see is The Silver Fleet - Googie Withers had this to say about Richardson:
I remember Ralph Richardson on that film - he was truly an adorable man, kind and funny and witty. He used to think up the most extraordinary things: for instance, he had to say goodbye to me in the morning, knowing he would never see me again but pretending he would be home that evening; and he said, ‘I think it would be rather nice, Googie, if I brushed your hair.’ I said, ‘What!? I’ve just had my hair done and what on earth will I look like after ten takes, with you pulling it about?’ ‘Oh, just a thought,’ he said. The hair brushing was in the film, eventually.

I also found this extremely poor quality, tantalizing clip from South Riding, which looks like an incredible movie. It's a shame I can find it nowhere else.

[youtube][/youtube]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wendy,
I don't think I mentioned yet that I too admire Richardson, and in fact, of the Big Brit Three (Olivier, Gielgud & Richardson),
he's the one I find the most enjoyable to watch. Somehow, when he plays even the most hateful character
(The Heiress, Anna Karenina), I find he injects an oh-so-subtle sympathy into it. With The Heiress, I feel
the loss of his wife really damaged him...with Karenin, I feel he's a product of a mechanical upbringing
and totally unaware of his power to hurt.

But my favorite character is Alexander in Doctor Zhivago. He is just adorable. When he says
of Yuri's letter, "Strange, his not knowing she died..." (about his wife), I just weep. He's so
utterly lost without her and shows it without any tiresome theatrical gymnastics.

Also, of those particular Brit actors (the others being Olivier and Gielgud) I think he would have been the
most fun to talk to and flirt with.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wendy,
I don't think I mentioned yet that I too admire Richardson, and in fact, of the Big Brit Three (Olivier, Gielgud & Richardson),
he's the one I find the most enjoyable to watch. Somehow, when he plays even the most hateful character
(The Heiress, Anna Karenina), I find he injects an oh-so-subtle sympathy into it. With The Heiress, I feel
the loss of his wife really damaged him...with Karenin, I feel he's a product of a mechanical upbringing
and totally unaware of his power to hurt.
I am so glad you showed up here, Miss G! I am in the midst of obsession. I find Richardson a lot of fun to watch - he adds so many little touches to his performances, and a lot of joy. I really do see that they are tiny engravings, as he said his film work was in comparison to his theatre work.

There is something so odd and yet totally engaged even in his unsympathetic roles - you can't really take your eyes off of him. As Dr. Sloper, you can see his mind ticking away much faster than anyone else in his direct family... he is like a chess player. I imagine that dull Catherine and flighty Lavinia would be poor companions for a man of his intellect. He has actually died inside, when his wife passed away, and maybe his goodness and kindness died with his happiness. It's so ironic that he raises a child who is dead inside too - Catherine's soul dies when her love is denied. Like father, like daughter. I do feel for him the tiniest bit at the end of the film, when he is in such pain and realizes that she has become what he wanted all along, strong; but hateful and vindictive - it's a lot like the ending of Pygmalion to me, except not so nice.
But my favorite character is Alexander in Doctor Zhivago. He is just adorable. When he says
of Yuri's letter, "Strange, his not knowing she died..." (about his wife), I just weep. He's so
utterly lost without her and shows it without any tiresome theatrical gymnastics.
I remember that scene now! Yes, like a shadow of worn out grief and remembrance crosses behind his eyes! and he is trying to make conversation all the while. I will have to go back and watch Zhivago again... I may have to rent the dvd, so I can fast forward through to his parts in the movie.... I know, I know, it's cheating!

I think this is what makes Richardson so much more fascinating in some ways than Olivier or Gielgud - his ability to rely on expression rather than gesture or theatrics. I imagine though, that he might have been able to bring on the theatrics big time when playing a role like Falstaff on stage.
Also, of those particular Brit actors (the others being Olivier and Gielgud) I think he would have been the
most fun to talk to and flirt with.
I am quite in love with him... he has such underlying warmth and humor, at least in real life, it seems. What a charming life it would be to sit in a country cottage every night and listen to him recite poetry by the fire.

This is the scene that just does me in every time I see it, he makes me weep. It's best to click through to a larger screen to see all the expressions.

from The Fallen Idol
[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm enjoying this thread a great deal, JF. I hope that you'll keep adding to it.

I once saw a picture of Ralph on his motorcycle that always made me smile, just thinking about it (wish I could find it again). His friend and admirer, Peter Ustinov, once wrote "There is always something engagingly lunatic about Ralph, a Quixotic quality, although his windmills are ditches and his faithful nag a powerful motor-cycle." RR seemed to have the same sort of verve his character had in Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan when his character decided to ride a tray down the stairs of his stately home. (It made for a sad demise, but what a way to go)

Here is an article about listening to RR on the radio describing the effect he had on those who were in his audience and people who were part of his working life.

My Nights With Ralph Richardson

A fellow actor reminisces about Richardson:
Stephen Moore on Ralph Richardson

Below is Part 1 of a 6 part interview with Ralph on The Russell Harty Show from 1975.

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm all choked up now, after reading those anecdotes about Ralph Richardson. What a dear man. "Not selling my apples tonight, eh, cocky?" Is going to be my new catch phrase.

Thank you so much for the articles, I have had a lot of trouble finding out anything about Sir Ralph. It is wonderful to read about how he influenced those who knew him. I think I will have to check out his biographies from the library, because there really isn't a lot on the net.

I loved hearing about his performing ballet in his dressing room in bright yellow socks, just to please Mr. Moore's wife. I can't think of any one in the theatre I would like to have met more.

Here is Sir Ralph's extraordinarily beautiful, perfect reading of Ode to a Nightingale. I prefer to scroll down or walk away from the computer so I don't have to look at the unnerving animation.

[youtube][/youtube]
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

For Halloween I watched Ralph Richardson's film debut -- The Ghoul, a 1933 British horror film which starred Boris Karloff (although he didn't actually have all that much screen time) as a dying man who instructs his staff to bury him with a magical jewel bandaged to his hand. Karloff is a follower of an ancient Egyptian religion and believes the jewel will transport him to the afterlife where he will meet Anubis -- or something like that. The only problem is, the jewel was stolen from a tomb in Egypt, and now the Egyptians want it back. And other people want it. And even a dead Boris Karloff wants it when it's stolen from the tomb. Uh oh...

Richardson in his film debut plays the local vicar and is very vicar-ish but that's all I can say about his performance as there are plenty of twists and turns in this tale. Compared to something like Whales' Frankenstein, it's a very stodgy movie and the actual leads, Karloff's niece and nephew, aren't the most congenial pair. The sets (and lighting) are very atmospheric though -- art direction by "A. Junge," i.e., Alfred Junge, who went on to design a whole bunch of Powell and Pressburger movies.

Re recitations of Ode to a Nightingale, Ben Wishaw also delivered a beautiful reading over the end credits of the recent Keats biofilm, Bright Star, though the music and bird noises are a little distracting. ;)

I don't have a clue how to embed videos (whenever I paste in the embed code, all I get is code, not video), so here's the link to Wishaw's version on youtube:

[youtube][/youtube]
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

pvitari wrote:I don't have a clue how to embed videos (whenever I paste in the embed code, all I get is code, not video), so here's the link to Wishaw's version on youtube
Maybe this will help, Paula:

1.) Copy the link of the youtube clip you are sharing here.
2.) Paste the link into your message here on the SSO.
3.) Highlight the web address you have pasted into your post.
4.) Click on the youtube bar that appears in your Post a Reply/Message screen on the upper right, next to font color.
5.) Click submit to make it appear in your post as a video.

I hope this enables you to share your clips!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

OK, giving it a whirl... this is a voiceover of Wishaw reading a letter he has sent his love, Fanny (Abby Cornish) in Bright Star.

[youtube][/youtube]

Turns out you can watch The Ghoul on youtube, so start here:

[youtube][/youtube]

IT WORKS! Thanks, Moira!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really liked Bright Star, and enjoyed Ben's version of Ode to a Nightingale as well, when I saw the film. In fact, I think I wrote up a review of the movie and made a thread here somewhere. But I have to say after hearing Richardson's living, breathing version, Ben Wishaw's pales by comparison. I still recommend the movie highly.

I posted The Ghoul at the top of the page already, Paula. It WAS stodgy, wasn't it? But when I watched it over again, I found more to like. The leads were as unpleasant as I've seen, and acted their roles bombastically. Karloff, though, remained as good as ever, given the very small amount of screen time he had, and I thought, as you say, Richardson was very vicar-ish. I guess I find that attractive in a man. :) I found him terribly funny, leaning back on his heels, thumbs hooked into his vest, telling everyone how they should behave. I also loved it when the nasty young leading man told him he was sorry for telling him off, Richardson good-naturedly responded with, "The tongue is an unruly member, is it not?". It made me giggle, he made it sound like a dirty joke. What wonderful slimy depth he could have given to a role like Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:I am so glad you showed up here, Miss G! I am in the midst of obsession.

i do understand that feeling. :D

I find Richardson a lot of fun to watch - he adds so many little touches to his performances, and a lot of joy. I really do see that they are tiny engravings, as he said his film work was in comparison to his theatre work.

i like that analogy. the camera does pick up the tiniest details, so comparing acting for the cinema to engraving is apt.

There is something so odd and yet totally engaged even in his unsympathetic roles - you can't really take your eyes off of him. As Dr. Sloper, you can see his mind ticking away much faster than anyone else in his direct family... he is like a chess player. I imagine that dull Catherine and flighty Lavinia would be poor companions for a man of his intellect. He has actually died inside, when his wife passed away, and maybe his goodness and kindness died with his happiness. It's so ironic that he raises a child who is dead inside too - Catherine's soul dies when her love is denied. Like father, like daughter. I do feel for him the tiniest bit at the end of the film, when he is in such pain and realizes that she has become what he wanted all along, strong; but hateful and vindictive - it's a lot like the ending of Pygmalion to me, except not so nice.

his dr. sloper is quite fascinating. for him to be as he is and be a doctor is remarkable. you have this idea that doctors are supposed to be compassionate. and what you want to bet he is gentle and kind to his patients, as he is not to his daughter. isn't there an old adage about doctors' families being neglected...

unfortunately i can't write more because again, this board does not permit me to post anything longer than what is here. it's jumping up and down like a jumping bean with every characgter i type. :(
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

his dr. sloper is quite fascinating. for him to be as he is and be a doctor is remarkable. you have this idea that doctors are supposed to be compassionate. and what you want to bet he is gentle and kind to his patients, as he is not to his daughter. isn't there an old adage about doctors' families being neglected...
Ahhh, you are so right! I never thought of that... I have always thought he was simply a cold, rather calculating man, too obsessed with his fortune and position to really consider his family. Or perhaps he has just prided himself on seeing the truth, and not hiding from it, too much so. But is it possible that he could be kind and sympathetic to his patients, and not so at all to his own daughter? I think it IS, and that makes him all the more awful, in some ways.
unfortunately i can't write more because again, this board does not permit me to post anything longer than what is here. it's jumping up and down like a jumping bean with every character i type. :(
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that! I really love your in depth responses, they are always insightful.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I posted The Ghoul at the top of the page already, Paula. It WAS stodgy, wasn't it?
Veddy. :) And all those characters mulling around. The leading lady's brunette companion was massively annoying too. :)
But when I watched it over again, I found more to like. The leads were as unpleasant as I've seen, and acted their roles bombastically. Karloff, though, remained as good as ever, given the very small amount of screen time he had,

Karloff is always the greatest. I have a friend who wrote a book about Karloff and can go on for hours about him, and it's understandable, the man had an amazing amount of screen power. He grabs you by the throat (metaphorically speaking) and just won't let go. James Curtis in his James Whale biography describes how Karloff was cast as Frankenstein because he was so mesmerizing both on stage and on screen.
and I thought, as you say, Richardson was very vicar-ish. I guess I find that attractive in a man.
LOL! :) Depends on the vicar for me. :) If he's Frederic March as William Spence in One Foot in Heaven, I'm all for vicars (or ministers). But if he's Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice, then "run away, run away!"
I found him terribly funny, leaning back on his heels, thumbs hooked into his vest, telling everyone how they should behave. I also loved it when the nasty young leading man told him he was sorry for telling him off, Richardson good-naturedly responded with, "The tongue is an unruly member, is it not?". It made me giggle, he made it sound like a dirty joke.
What wonderful slimy depth he could have given to a role like Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice.
There's that GMTA thing again. :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha!

Richardson played at least three vicars in the movies. It made me laugh yesterday when I was looking up his list of characters. I'm very happy that all the while he was playing those vicars in the thirties and forties, he was having the best run of stage roles at the Old Vic.

I am starting in on Long Day's Journey into Night. If I'm not out of there by tomorrow, call out the hounds... it's heavy duty!