Ralph Richardson, film actor

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Ralph Richardson, film actor

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I was upset that I couldn't find a recorder with a hard drive anymore. Are you telling me that recorders themselves are now becoming extinct?
It appears that DVD recorders are not going to be made in the future, in part because of film industry concerns about pirating. The rise of streaming movies online and via television hookups, MOD DVDs and the DVR all seem to be replacing this niche in the marketplace. The DVR, which really doesn't make files portable or reproducible, and, as MIss G. points out, are usually not owned by most people, really makes it more difficult to record and save movies, unless you want to stick with the old VCR and perishable VHS tape.

I have a feeling that none of this will really cut into the cinephiles desire to see rare movies. It may just make it harder to find stuff, but maybe there are some tech sophisticates out there who know better.

Nice avatar, JF. Now if we could just find a picture of George Sanders on a motorcycle...
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

On Saturday night, September 29th, 2012, Sir Ralph Richardson will be spotlighted all evening, starting with The Essentials repeat of THE FALLEN IDOL. If you haven't seen it already, this Carol Reed directed suspense film is well worth your time. If you like Hitch, you'll like this one.

The only film I haven't seen is The Looking Glass War, but the others I can recommend, even the much maligned Anna Karenina, in which Richardson as Karenin is, as always, marvelous. Personally, I like the film and Vivien Leigh's performance as Anna.

Zoltan Korda's Four Feathers is the best version of the story, with an incredibly great performance by John Clements, backed more than ably by Richardson and C. Aubrey Smith.

The Wrong Box
is vintage 1960's all star comedy, with an above average cast, and it's a treat watching Richardson and John Mills as brothers, the last survivors of a tontine... Mills is hilarious trying to do away with the witless and extremely boring Richardson, who drives every person he comes in contact with away.

The schedule looks like this:

SATURDAY, September 29th, 2012

8:00 PM The Fallen Idol (1948)
A neglected child thinks the servant he idolizes has committed murder.
Dir: Carol Reed Cast: Ralph Richardson , Michele Morgan , Bobby Henrey .
BW-95 mins, TV-G, CC,

10:00 PM Anna Karenina (1948)

Adaptation of Tolstoy's classic tale of a woman who deserts her family for an illicit love.
Dir: Julien Duvivier Cast: Vivien Leigh , Ralph Richardson , Kieron Moore .
BW-113 mins, TV-14, CC,

12:00 AM The Four Feathers (1939)
A disgraced officer risks his life to help his childhood friends in battle.
Dir: Zoltan Korda Cast: John Clements , Ralph Richardson , C. Aubrey Smith .
C-115 mins, TV-PG, CC,

2:00 AM The Wrong Box (1966)
Two elderly brothers plot to kill each other for a fortune.
Dir: Bryan Forbes Cast: John Mills , Ralph Richardson , Michael Caine .
C-106 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

4:00 AM The Looking Glass War (1969)

British Intelligence calls in a retired agent to investigate Soviet missiles near the German border.
Dir: Frank R. Pierson Cast: Christopher Jones , Pia Degermark , Ralph Richardson .
C-107 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Sounds like a great evening. I've said before I, too, really like Richardson's Karenin...he brings complexity to the man. Vivien is of course, magnificent. I love Sally Ann Bowles' promo for AK and Vivien.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love that promo too, I can't imagine anyone treating Leigh that way. I think her Anna is absolutely great, she is THE film actress of all time, Duvivier didn't know what abrilliant actress he had.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Maybe he thought she'd "gone Hollywood" with her demands and all, and with the pressure of making the movie let himself go snide on her. I wouldn't be surprised if he had to apologize for it in some way. :D

Duvivier is on the far right. Alexander Korda is the one talking. That's some has-been in the middle. :P

-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

chuckle. Was that a secret dig at ChiO for his John Ford comments?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

who? :P
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Ms. Leigh, a has-been?

Clearly, Mr. Korda and Mr. Duvivier, apparently not having received the RKO memo, knew to whom to turn for advice on how to deal with Hollywood. :P
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles