Do You Have Trouble getting others to watch classics?

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: Do You Have Trouble getting others to watch classics?

Post by knitwit45 »

I just read (somewhere, and of course I can't remember where..sigh..) that Wayne and Russell had an affair during this movie, and though he ended it when the film wrapped, she never stopped loving him, and her early demise from alcoholism is attributed to that fact. Sad.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know if that's true or not, Nan... I read that they both never admitted to any affair, however, Wayne's wife was extremely jealous of petite Gail.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wish I had a better memory for details....like where I read things....

it sounded a tad far fetched, but Ol' Duke was quite a dish, and this same article said he was very protective of her while filming, she was very fragile (even without the drinking problem).
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The implications of what I read (wish I could remember where too) were that, though it was never proved that they had an affair, it also wasn't ever clear that they didn't. :D

I find their relationship to be one of the most poignant in Hollywood history, with Wayne caring for fragile Gail, protecting her and giving her a role here and there until her sad demise.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Richard Jensen in his Ben Johnson biography claims that Russell had an affair with Wayne and after he ended it, that was a cause of her descent into alcoholism.

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thank you!!!! It makes me crazy (and others, I'll bet) when I remember something, but not enough to let others look it up.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm going to rent it, if you guys recommend it.

Regarding Wayne and Russell I've looked in the book John Wayne : American and his secretary is of the opinion that there was no affair but that Wayne felt very sorry and quite protective of her. An incident was blown out of proportion by Wayne's then wife Chata a woman of extreme emotion.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's the story I heard too CCFan. And either way, I highly recommend the movie. :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This book I'm reading right now is filled with little snippets of events that occurred between Duke and his friends. It's a tribute to his wit, charm, and all encompassing good fellowship. All of them agree there probably was something going on between Duke and Gail, but it was a warm and loving friendship more than a love affair, but when it ended, it did lead to her alcoholism and eventual death. The odd thing was that his wife Chata (at the time), was not jealous of Gail, which she really had reason to be, but of Maureen. The whole family went to Ireland for the filming of The Quiet Man, and Chata visited the set almost on a regular basis, which struck everyone as funny because he and Mo definitely had an open and friendly (only) relationship.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

This is a mildly interesting article in "Movie Fanfare" this month. Not much teeth in it but it addresses this thread.

Loving Someone Who Is Not a Classic Film Fan
12.27.10 | guest-blogs | FanFare GuestsPrint this Post

In this article, guest blogger Elizabeth Madron writes about being in a relationship with someone who doesn't share her adoration for vintage cinema and discusses some of her favorite films of yesteryear:

I think Hollywood in the 1930s-1960s was so much more interesting and fascinating than it is today. People like Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, etc. were truly actors. The studios controlled their likenesses and even added moral clauses to their contracts.

You have to read between the lines and really listen to the words when you watch a classic film. I like them because of the clothing, hair, makeup, dancing and dialogue. And those publicity photos that the stars sent out to fans are absolutely gorgeous! For you parents out there, classic films are kid friendly. They are a time capsule of the history of entertainment. They reflect what was going on in society at that time. Before Dancing with the Stars, there was Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Now, it's all about getting skinnier all the time and doing nude scenes in every film. Earlier this week, I was trying to explain this to my boyfriend. When he thinks about old films he automatically thinks they will be boring. We were childhood friends and have a lot in common, but we are butting heads on this issue. In today's fast-paced world, getting people to sit back and relax for a few hours is hard. With that in mind, I have started a must-see movie list for novice classic film fans. They are in no particular order. I have included on this list a few from the '70s and '80s because they are some of the greatest ever filmed. I am also trying to take baby steps backward towards the 1930s. Here are my picks:

The Postman Always Rings Twice ( 1946)

- A sexy film noir classic with John Garfield and Lana Turner. Greed, lust, adultry and murder take place when a drifter stops in at a roadside cafe. This movie is white hot.

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

- "HEY STELLA!" Directed by Elia Kazan. With Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter, and Karl Malden.

Cleopatra (1963)

- See Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in their first film together.

Dr. No (1962) and Goldfinger (1963)

- There's nothing like early Sean Connery. Need I say more?

Psycho (1963)

- Alfred Hitchcock at his best. Stay out of the shower!

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

- Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty never looked better. This timeless favorite is highlighted by great car chases with plenty of blood and guts.

Easy Rider (1969)

Marlon Brando in "The Godfather"
- Two counterculture bikers travel from Los Angeles to New Orleans in search of America. What they find along the way touched the lives of a generation of filmgoers. Stars Jack Nicholson and Dennis Hopper; Peter Fonda co-stars and directs.

The Godfather (1972)

- Based on the Mario Puzo bestseller about a fictional Italian-American Mafia family named Corleone. Stars Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, James Caan and Diane Keaton.

The Godfather, Part II (1974)

- The fantastic sequel to The Godfather that many people think is better than the original.

Raging Bull (1980)

- Bio of boxer Jake LaMotta. Stars Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci. Filmed in black and white. Great direction by Martin Scorsese, and the classical/big band-flavored score is terrific, too.

What are your favorite Hollywood classics? Sound off in the comments!

Elizabeth Madron has been a classic film lover for over 20 years. She lives in Atlanta, Georgia, the home of Turner Classic Movies, which she considers to be the best network on television. She likes to share her views on Classic movies and Classic actors and actresses on her blog Midnite at Sunset and Vine. For more information, visit her Facebook page.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm stunned at this list. Though some are good films, they all seem so modern, almost not in the classic era. I am getting old.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I recently reconnected with a girl I knew as an undergraduate. We're both divorced now and there's some good chemistry going on. We're still figuring out what the other person likes. It's hit or miss, and we're rotten guessers. When I first suggested watching an old film, she wasn't too sure about it.

Last night, it came up again and I suggested watching a Constance Bennett film (her name is Constance too). I confided that CB was one of my top "screen crushes." We picked Lady with a Past (1931). I won't write a synopsis of the film here, but it's one that I'm always charmed by. David Manners is the love interest and Ben Lyons is a guy she meets in Paris...whom Bennett hires to help make her more of a social success.

I kept looking at the timer on the front of the DVD player to see how far we were getting into the film (before Connie lost interest). But she stayed with it. She actually got pretty well caught up in the story, really liked Bennett, and giggled now and then at the dialogue--not derisively, but from being charmed by the all the curiously turned phrases. We didn't get all the way through the picture, but this morning she wanted to know what happened to all the characters.

It's certainly no "deal-breaker" if she doesn't like these films the way I do. But on the flip side, if she does learn to enjoy them, we've got a ridiculous number to choose from!
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I hardly ever try anymore. If I meet somebody who ALREADY likes the classics, we have something to talk about. I make recommendations. So does the other person. I've just about given up "converting." Almost nobody is interested. "Why is this in black and white? What's wrong with the TV?"

I have a friend who is older than I am. He has a phd. Even he doesn't get it.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My darling daughter works at Starbucks with The Bride. Maureen had a customer who was telling her that his young boys enjoyed watching The Three Stooges. Maureen tells him he should try the Marx Brothers on the kids. He reports back that the boys loved them too. I don't recall the movie but the boys liked it so much they watched it twice.

Maureen is suggesting Laurel and Hardy next.

She's a good girl.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, have you seen the trailer for the new 3 Stooges movie? It is so not PC, I can hear the screams of outrage already! Parents will swear their child has turned into a finger-poking, head bopping monster because of it..