Noir Films

ChiO

Re: Noir Films

Post by ChiO »

The Maven wrote:
Jeff was not condescending and the Black folks weren't stereotyped with a crazy dialect. And more importantly, Mitchum's back is to the camera and Tourneur lets Theresa Harris have the whole scene.
My perception may be somewhat tainted due to my affection for Tourneur's films, but Tourneur seems to have been ahead of the Hollywood curve on portrayal of Black folks. That scene in OUT OF THE PAST is a great example as are a multitude of scenes with Juano Hernandez as Uncle Famous in STARS IN MY CROWN. The great beauty is the respect that Tourneur gives to all characters as people (warts and all) and, thereby, to the audience.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was superbly well put, ChiO. I am a sucker for Tourneur, maybe for that very reason...and for Juano Hernandez too, BTW.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Thank you, JF.

Might we now expect Jacques Tourneur to be highly placed on your Favorite Directors list that you post at approximately 11:59pm + 59 seconds (CST) on September 25? :P
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You might.

If I manage to make deadline. :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#800000]ChiO[/color][/u] wrote: My perception may be somewhat tainted due to my affection for Tourneur's films, but Tourneur seems to have been ahead of the Hollywood curve on portrayal of Black folks.
...Not being American born might have something to do with it. Now let's bring back "ANNE OF THE INDIES"!!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

There are four post-1938 Tourneur movies I haven't seen...and that's one of them. I need to straighten up and fly right.

P.S. (my edit) Being foreign born may play a role, but Hollywood was replete with foreign born directors. Tourneur seems to have a sensitivity on issues of race, gender and age (did anyone show children as he did?) that escaped most of the crowd. Not that I'm campaigning for his inclusion on more Favorite Directors lists. :wink:
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If the list extends past half a dozen, Tourneur wll be on mine. He had a quiet, understated touch that served the drama so much better than grand presentation would have. The problem is, unlike the very best filmmakers, his track record is lacking. Not all his movies meet the standard of the Val Lewton productions he so deftly commanded.

But there's NIGHTFALL, EASY LIVING and the spellbinding OUT OF THE PAST. The strength of these classics invites consideration for my list!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

To which I'd add (at a minimum): CANYON PASSAGE, WICHITA, GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING, CURSE OF THE DEMON, KILLER-DOG (short), NIGHT CALL (Twilight Zone episode) and, above all others, STARS IN MY CROWN.

(This campaign advertisement is sponsored by Friends for the Recognition of Jacques Tourneur SuperPAC. Names of members and contributors are not subject to disclosure.)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm Jacques Tourneur, and I approve this message.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my god, who is this crazy woman in Underworld USA?

I LOVE her.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched Edward Dmytryk's "The Sniper." What must have been pretty tough stuff for 1952 still manages to be intense today. Arthur Franz is the story's main character who just happens to be a bit of psychopath when it comes to women. He brings assault to a higher level. As he begins his rampage on the female population the police with Adolph Menjou are in hot pursuit.

We never really know what "Eddie's" problem is but someone, probably his mother, has made him hate women. He knows he has a problem but he can't control it. As his condition gets the better of him he gets careless and people finally put together who he is. A scared San Francisco population represented by the press pressure the police to do more then they possibly can. Some profiling and a swarm of police officers are on the lookout until the most surprising scene discovers Eddie and an exciting chase ensues until he is finally caught.

Eddie is in trouble. We see it from the first minute of the movie. The only hint is his line "my mother never taught me nothing." He hurts himself in an attempt to control the uncontrollable. It doesn't stop him. He's like an addict trying to quit all the while searching for his next fix. Even a trip to an amusement park manifests his anger. A place of joy becomes his place of torture. The film does not sensationalize him or mock him. It doesn't even analyze him. You get to decide.

Arthur Franz does well as the tortured soul. Richard Kiley is earnest as the police psychologist. Menjou is fine but his role doesn't call for anything extraordinary. A good supporting cast that includes Marie Windsor is fine. San Francisco is also as much a star as anyone especially in the climax. Dmytryk give is some style and a host of unusual camera angles, none more so than when Eddie is discovered. It also has an interesting and unexpected ending. The shootings themselves have a stark effect in their sound and look. They appear, for a film, rather realistic.

I liked it and recommend it. A nice tight "B" noir like they are supposed to be.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE SNIPER is quite good. Psychological and exciting. The story culminates in a tremendous chase scene in which, indeed, the city is the main character. There's a set of B level noirs on the stands. Films like MURDER BY CONTRACT, THE BROTHERS RICO and CITY OF FEAR. THE SNIPER is the best of the bunch.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll have to check it out! I am finding quite a few noir titles I want to see lately.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Yessss...JF....come to the dark side.....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yessss...JF....come to the dark side.....
If young Burt Lancaster is there, I'm there.